• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Noise vs Music

#48748 2 years, 8 months ago
When I listen to the dead, often people who are not deadheads ask how I can listen to "that noise". Or I hear comments like "how can you see so many shows in a row" or "why are they just repeating fire, fire on the mountain, when will this end".

When I hear the band I generally hear beautiful music and my body feels the need to groove. But it wasn't always that way. I did not "get it" my first few shows (I thought the people were freaks and the music ok, but not great).

I got hooked after a few shows and after hearing a few albums and cassettes. I was lucky in the sense that my first few shows in the early '80's were real good, and there were a few covers that I know (Satisfaction, some Beatles, etc). Plus in college many of my friends were deadheads.

I was wondering if you guys and gals share the same experience(s) where either you didn't get it at first or perhaps you have friends and family who don't get it and consider it noise? I would think that was more the norm.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

Re: Noise vs Music

#48757 2 years, 8 months ago
I consider most of the music that other people listen to as jus noise. Most bands that ive listened to i have to take breaks so i dont get tired of it, but wit GD or Furthur every tune is different from show to show. The main structure of the song remains the same usually, but if you listen to the same song from different shows, its incredibly easy to see the drastic differences in each jam. I LOVE IT. hahahahahah Makes every tune special every time IMO. =-)
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#48765 2 years, 8 months ago
I don't have any friends that ever expressed a dislike of the Grateful Dead to me but I also don't have any friends who are heads...... my buddy in the air force loved the 11/20/10 MSG show I took him to, he gets out April 2011 but I don't know if I see him really getting into it, or should I say 'getting it'.

I took another friend to the 3/12/11 Best Buy show and he had a great time, I thought he'd go again by the summer but I think money n time is an issue and its not quite priority for him like it is me and I'm sure many of you.
mountainjam28
Junior Boarder
Enjoying the ride...

#48769 2 years, 8 months ago
Most of my friends who are all non-heads think that the Grateful Dead is devil worshipping music because of the title of the band and the "skullface" logo. I play it for them but they're just too stuck in mainstream crap to appreciate it. DH420 said it right... yes, we may listen to over 300 versions of the same song but every one of them is special and puts you in that time and place when you heard it. How many other bands can say that?

It's beautiful music to me and that's all that matters. Screw the rest of 'em Jam on!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#48774 2 years, 8 months ago
most everyone i know who likes any dead only likes a few classic songs i.e. truckin' sugar mag touch of grey, etc. but i've told them before that you either get it and the music takes you somewhere special that only the music can take you or you don't get it and it just sounds like other music...for me it takes me to a special place and almost every song has a significant meaning or connection to me which is why i keep coming back for more even though i wasn't around to see jerry
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
StuartSlate
Expert Boarder

#48780 2 years, 8 months ago
DeadHead420 wrote:
I consider most of the music that other people listen to as jus noise....

Wow, that is a harsh and sweeping judgement. You are entitled to your opinion.
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#48783 2 years, 8 months ago
I'd finally talked my co-workers into allowing me to play a Dead tape in our kitchen. At one point one of the girls points at the speaker "See! It's that sound, right there that I can't stand about the Grateful Dead! That deedle-dee deedle-dee! Uuuugh! Otherwise it's okay." "Sweetie," I say, "that sound is Jerry's guitar....."

God love 'em! And she's hip on a lot of old jazz & shit, which I think is useful in Dead appreciation.
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#48786 2 years, 8 months ago
I walked in to my first show in 81 not getting it and walked out more than getting it. Oh what a feeling. Does anyone notice how right after a show you get in your car, put in a bootleg, and it has that fresh magic sound? Its so weird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, DeadHead420
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#48790 2 years, 8 months ago
My hubby and I have had countless conversations about this in the past and we've come to this conclusion....
There is just no middle ground with the Grateful Dead. You either "get" them or you don't. You're either on the bus or you're off. If you say...."They're OK" and you know a few songs.....you still don't get them.

When Jesus walked this earth teaching spiritual matters to both his diciples and others, He would often say..."They who have ears to hear, let them hear. Some people got him and some didn't even though he was right there.

We have ears to hear, so let us hear.
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#48795 2 years, 8 months ago
Most people I talk to who don't like the Dead thinks their music is too mellow and songs are too long. But when I hear the Dead's music I hear something I never heard before something that takes me to the highest highs and the lowest lows. Grateful Dead's music is obviously not for everyone. It is for people who are willing to open their mind. You can't see something if you aren't willing to look. Their music is more then just music. It's hard to describe. It's a way of life. Just look by the community that has formed out of it. And as of the songs being too long...I say the longer the better! I feel the average song should at least be 7 minutes long!

I have friends who don't like it at all and I have friends who don't care for it but respect and can dig my style. I'm open to any type of music. I just have my favorite

A person I know once told me. "it's like you are living in your own reality." He didn't understand me at all. But that's because he hasn't experienced the reality.
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds