• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Chester
More or less in line

Melkweg, Amsterdam

#47688 3 years, 1 month ago
Just found this. 10/16/81 Bobby's birthday. Acoustic set. Looks like the whole set! Rough sound at first, but it gets better.
Enjoy.

I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , wlewis, MushroomMan, jbeach12078, SunshineSue
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Melkweg, Amsterdam

#47692 3 years, 1 month ago
Wow! This is making my day! Just found it, and had to share! I have this on CD, but have never seen this video. There's a story
behind this show. Something about them not having their own instruments, and deciding at the last minute to do this show,
and having to borrow instruments and the pa, and all. This is incredible! (Got my feet moving!) : )
Chester
More or less in line

#47693 3 years, 1 month ago
Apparently it's the whole show! Both sets! Still listening, and it's incredible!

Band: Grateful Dead
Date: 10/16/81 - Friday
notes

One:
On The Road Again ; 03:20
Dire Wolf ; 03:27
Monkey And The Engineer ; 02:34
Bird Song ; 09:32
Cassidy ; 05:06
Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie ; 06:03
The Race Is On ; 03:12
Ripple ; 04:27
set music:
0:37:41

Two:
Playing In The Band > 11:28
Hully Gully > 03:22
The Wheel > 06:06
Samson And Delilah ; 07:00
Gloria > 07:37
Turn On Your Lovelight > 06:09
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > 05:35
Playing In The Band > 04:00
Black Peter > 09:28
Sugar Magnolia ;

I'm gonna keep this one! : )
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#47694 3 years, 1 month ago
What a find!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#47697 3 years, 1 month ago
Thanks man,

its funny I just finished reading 'Living with the Dead' by Rock Scully yesterday and I read all about these shows yesterday. They had some shows which I believe were in France that got rained out. A few days before Jerry and Bob went to Amsterdam by themselves, with Rock and the 2 of them ended up playing a short acoustic set. They loved it so much that they were all trying to convince the rest of the band to go play Amsterdam during the time the rained out shows were suposed to be. At first nobody wanted to but they all agreed to go but with no instruments so like Rock said, he was running all around Amsterdam at the last minute trying to borrow equipment from everyone.

interesting story and a very interesting book if you havn't read it already.
Chester
More or less in line

#47705 3 years, 1 month ago
Phil mentions it in "Searching for the sound". Thats probably where I first heard the story. Haven't read Scully's book, yet.
I just wish I was there. If I could go back in time.... : )
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#47712 3 years, 1 month ago
MushroomMan wrote:
Thanks man,

its funny I just finished reading 'Living with the Dead' by Rock Scully yesterday and I read all about these shows yesterday. They had some shows which I believe were in France that got rained out. A few days before Jerry and Bob went to Amsterdam by themselves, with Rock and the 2 of them ended up playing a short acoustic set. They loved it so much that they were all trying to convince the rest of the band to go play Amsterdam during the time the rained out shows were suposed to be. At first nobody wanted to but they all agreed to go but with no instruments so like Rock said, he was running all around Amsterdam at the last minute trying to borrow equipment from everyone.

interesting story and a very interesting book if you havn't read it already.

FANTASTIC book...i talked to rock briefly at radio city music hall in the spring and furthur festival last may...interesting individual
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Chester
More or less in line

#47714 3 years, 1 month ago
Wow! Just finished, and it was spectacular! Gloria through Sugar mag. was non- stop. You can tell this was during the coke fueled
years. The Gloria>Lovelight>GDTRFB, was pretty fast! Lol. But the performance is top notch. : )
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#47716 3 years, 1 month ago
"FANTASTIC book...i talked to rock briefly at radio city music hall in the spring and furthur festival last may...interesting individual "

I heard about him being at Furthurfest for a meet and greet or whatever it was, was he doing the same thing at Radio City or did you just run into him or something? -- if he was meeting people at RCMH and I knew about it I would of loved to have met him.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#47721 3 years, 1 month ago
Chester wrote:
Wow! Just finished, and it was spectacular! Gloria through Sugar mag. was non- stop. You can tell this was during the coke fueled
years. The Gloria>Lovelight>GDTRFB, was pretty fast! Lol. But the performance is top notch. : )

What a great show! They did have all sorts of energy, didn't they? But yet what a pretty Black Peter too. Who needs another View from the Vault if Chester can keep coming up with gems like this!
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds