• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
skimfrosty
Junior Boarder

Re: Best Furthur show EVER?!

#4868 3 years, 5 months ago
I have listened to all the shows from this current tour and a good amount from last year. My favorite so far is:

2/11/2011 1st Bank Center - Broomfield, CO

......man that was a solid show.
Support Live Music
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#4931 3 years, 5 months ago
three already mentioned that i rank in the top three i've seen are 7/5/10 Stroudsburg, PA 9/25/10 Red Rocks and 11/20/10 MSG....two others you should DEFINITELY check out are 11/9/10 Ames, IA and 11/16/10 Reading, PA

also, check out the three shows from broomfield in feb 2011. the playing at these shows was on a very 'high' level for the mountain scene...very few negative things to speak of in terms of music, community, and scene..i feel honored and privileged that i was able to attend these

at the end of this tour i will add to this thread again with what i believed to be the cream of the crop this time around
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
charliechanman
Junior Boarder

#4958 3 years, 5 months ago
I don't think Furthur has been around long enough to say "EVER"... maybe the best show "SO FAR"...
SAY YOUR PEACE AND GET OUT
Justintime105
Fresh Boarder

#4960 3 years, 5 months ago
7/11/2010 has a smoking Shakedown, among other stand outs.
leshweirD
Junior Boarder

#4988 3 years, 5 months ago
I'm hoping it's the next one I am blessed to be able to attend!
Lafoo
Junior Boarder

#5033 3 years, 5 months ago
Wallingford, CT 2009
Stroudsburg, PA 2010

Both were excellent.
skyties
Junior Boarder

#5037 3 years, 5 months ago
ruby_claire wrote:
The last one I saw....and the next one is going to be even better : )))))

That's what I'm talkin' about.
Amie
Fresh Boarder

#5058 3 years, 5 months ago
totally agree, I also would recommend Chicago at the UIC in march 2010.
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#5094 3 years, 5 months ago
this was my first furthur show, It's one of the best I've seen

www.archive.org/details/furthur2009-12-1...raszki.103552.flac16

it was a different band, Jay Lane was playing percussion and there weren't any backup vocalists.
I like the changes futhur has made it seems to be working for them
but I haven't seen then recapture the energy from this show, especially the second set.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#5163 3 years, 5 months ago
Hey Todd,

Furthur has a way of sucking people onto the bus, willing or otherwise .

There was a great interview I think by Jackson on dead.net (?) of JK that was very interesting. He hasn't spent his life copying Garcia. In fact, he makes an interesting comment that unlike a lot of people who play guitar because of the dead, he was already an accomplished violinist and guitar player until he, too, was thrown on the bus. So his background is not copying Garcia. I can't blame him for wanting to play Garcia great. If we are that critical of guitar players, Jimmy Page sucks becaus he played Jimmy Reed note by note in everything he did.

I look at it this way: He plays Garcia the way it should be played- on China Cat, you get the riff the lead should be playing for it to be authentic, on Deal, etc. For all teh other dead incarnations, it seemed the guitar players said, "oh, key of E, I can do that..." But to play lead on Grateful Dead is more than that. On songs like Let It Grow, Music Never Stopped, and the like, where there are those moments where the lead better be in that spot to grab it and throw the music into the atmoshpere - or the song collapses, JK is faithfully there. Where the song goes into (even somewhat) jam or improv, John stays true to the feeling of the song but takes it his own way. I think the one thing he does copy, and I really heard it on this past NYE, is the expressive tones from the electric guitar. It's very nuanced but it really adds a ton of depth to the lead guitar. I don't know what it is, but I like it. I personally think Garcia came with that sound in/around 1981 and I just love it.

I wish I was 20 again and not married and bills. I'd quit my job and go on tour like it was 1988 all over agiain. Don't let preconceived notions of the past prevent you from experiencing the grateful dead experience in all its glory.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by lostsailor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Krispysmurf, cpuffe
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds