• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Special Songs (versions of GD / Furthur songs)

#47125 2 years, 11 months ago
Not the greatest video, but definitely some very cool parts. I used to love these Not Fade Away's especially when they closed the shows (pre- encore). The audience would go nuts with the clapping, chanting (Not Fade Away, Know our love will not fade away). At the time it felt like the chants went on for 10 minutes plus, but I don't see that re-listening to the shows. I don't know, maybe it was the roses?

I was really looking for a version with the bop bop bop, bop bop -- they used to add (in the mid '80's I thought, but maybe it was the 90-'s ???). I just couldn't find that version with the video.

I don't see this too much of this at the furthur shows any longer (I tried to start one this tour, but it didn't last too long). It used to be really cool when Bobby would skip a verse and the entire stadium would carry the tune. You do still see that part today.

FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#47128 2 years, 11 months ago
I like how sometimes they used to come back after leaving the stage with everyone still clapping and chanting and then pick the song back up for a couple minutes - before playing the actual encore that night - would be sweet if Furthur ever did that.....

Not Fade Away>crowd clap/chanting>Not Fade Away>Donor Speach>regular encore --- been hoping for that one for a while, may not be to likely though
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by MushroomMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ablebaker, DeadHead420
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#47154 2 years, 11 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Not the greatest video, but definitely some very cool parts. I used to love these Not Fade Away's especially when they closed the shows (pre- encore). The audience would go nuts with the clapping, chanting (Not Fade Away, Know our love will not fade away). At the time it felt like the chants went on for 10 minutes plus, but I don't see that re-listening to the shows. I don't know, maybe it was the roses?

I was really looking for a version with the bop bop bop, bop bop -- they used to add (in the mid '80's I thought, but maybe it was the 90-'s ???). I just couldn't find that version with the video.

I don't see this too much of this at the furthur shows any longer (I tried to start one this tour, but it didn't last too long). It used to be really cool when Bobby would skip a verse and the entire stadium would carry the tune. You do still see that part today.

Blistering first set. NFA> Touch, Tons Of Steel, etc. (The first Quinn the night before).
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#51481 2 years, 11 months ago
Here's one I've never caught live, the California Earthquake

And here's let me sing your blues away (with Keith and Donna) - another one I wasn't familiar with before listening to the GD channel 24 / 7

!

scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#51501 2 years, 11 months ago
Bobby, Phil and Warren on the View. They play a kind acoustic Friend of the Devil. Phil sings what I call the "Extra lines" - aka the dropped lines. Nice interview too imo.

From Dead.net "official ?? " Lyrics:

Friend Of The Devil
Lyrics By: Robert Hunter
Music By: Jerry Garcia, John Dawson

I lit out from Reno, I was trailed by twenty hounds (note a)
Didn't get to sleep that night till the morning came around

Set out running but I take my time
A friend of the devil is a friend of mine
If I get home before daylight I just might get some sleep
Tonight

I ran into the devil babe, he loaned me twenty bills
I spent the night in Utah in a cave up in the hills

I ran down to the levee but the devil caught me there (note b)
He took my twenty dollar bill and vanished in the air

Got two reasons why I cry away each lonely night
The first one's named sweet Anne Marie and she's my heart's delight
Second one is prison baby, sheriff's on my trail (note c)
And if he catches up with me I'll spend my life in jail

Got a wife in Chino babe, and one in Cherokee
First one says she's got my child but it don't look like me

The Dead song most covered by other people since it was first released on "American Beauty."

(a) in very early versions (eg 3 April 1970), Jerry sang "I set out from Reno, I was trailed by thirty hounds.

(b) in some early versions, Jerry sang a different verse:

I went to the levee but the devil caught my scent
So I coughed two hundred bills to pay back what was lent

(c) in early versions (eg 3 April 1970), Jerry sang "sheriff's on my tail" rather than "... on my trail"

Robert Hunter wrote another verse that he performed himself (eg on "Jack O' Roses"). See also below for the evolution of Robert Hunter's lyrics into their final form.

You can borrow from the devil, you can borrow from a friend
But the devil will give you twenty, when your friend got only ten

Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by scar1et_f1re.
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#51508 2 years, 11 months ago
Always a fan of the Devil With a Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly Medley coming out of GSET. Listed to this one from Hartford 87 and also MSG 87. This one is my favorite and I think there are a few more.

www.archive.org/details/gd1987-09-09.ecm...miller.106827.flac16
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by GreatestStoryEverTold.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#52356 2 years, 11 months ago
Jerry guest starring with Traffic (Dear Mr. Fantasy) crowd looks really into it..

Time to create page: 0.52 seconds