• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
saume3672
Junior Boarder

Vindicated

#45957 2 years, 12 months ago
Kind of a sad story but many years ago now, while living in Chicago - before I was a Deadhead - and when I was well into my grunge faze, I convinced my friend to take a pass on the Grateful Dead show in lieu of Pearl Jam tickets. Now don't get me wrong, the Pearl Jam show was great - they always put on a good show, IMO. The decision, however, turned out to be a very bad one as Jerry passed away soon after, preventing us from having the chance to ever see "them" again.

Fast forward to July, 2011...as fate would have it, I no longer live in Chicago, now I live near Boston. The same friend (who is mostly responsible for turning me onto the Dead) just happened to be in town from Chicago on business. I took this as an omen and as an opportunity to change karma, or right a wrong, however you prefer. So I took him to the Furthur show in Mansfield. In addition to getting rewarded with a Scarlet>Fire (which he said alone paid the debt, we also got a tremendous Dear Prudence, which is a very personal song for him and put the show over the top - even though it isn't a Dead song.

So the Universe was restored. All is well. Karma. Thanks Furthur!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, the highway terror, ruby_claire, Equinox, neverstop66, ColoradoRain
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

Re: Vindicated

#45990 2 years, 12 months ago
Yass! Yass Serendipity!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#45992 2 years, 12 months ago
Actually Dear Prudence is sort of a Dead song. Jerry used to play it with his bands from time to time. There's a fine version on The Very Best Of JG comp that came out five or six years ago -- with horns, no less.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#46015 2 years, 12 months ago
Let's call a spade a spade. I love Jerry, I love the Dead, I love Furthur, But Dear Prudence is a Beatles song. I happen to think the version that you mentioned is the best version of the song I've heard ( I was at mansfield, and that version was awesome too), but calling Dear Prudence a dead song is almost like calling All Along The Watchtower a Dave matthews song.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#46025 2 years, 12 months ago
Thanks for posting this story. Pearl Jam instead of Jerry? Take a lap! Lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#46027 2 years, 12 months ago
neverstop66 wrote:
Thanks for posting this story. Pearl Jam instead of Jerry? Take a lap! Lol

hahaha a lap...

for me it used to be 5 perimeters....

great story though, glad you are both back on that wavelength
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#46070 2 years, 12 months ago
jaredlang wrote:
Let's call a spade a spade. I love Jerry, I love the Dead, I love Furthur, But Dear Prudence is a Beatles song. I happen to think the version that you mentioned is the best version of the song I've heard ( I was at mansfield, and that version was awesome too), but calling Dear Prudence a dead song is almost like calling All Along The Watchtower a Dave matthews song.

I said "sort of a Dead song."

I'd probably call Watchtower a Dead tune at this point.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by Equinox.
Time to create page: 2.08 seconds