• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
pawtrack
Junior Boarder

life long east coaster with california questions

#45518 3 years ago
hey all you westies, i've grown up out here on the east coast and am about to have an empty nest soon. i live in one of the most expensive areas in the country so cost of living doesn't scare me ( if it costs more you make more ). i would love to relocate there, i've always wanted to and came close to going with a few bands in the 80's when i was younger. i have a degree in the medical field and am employable but just wondered what you could say it's like to live there, and cool places to look at. thanks
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

Re: life long east coaster with california questio

#45526 3 years ago
Love it here, where do I begin...?

Prefer NorCal myself.
PsychicPyramid
Junior Boarder
HEAVY VIBES

#45532 3 years ago
California is by far my favorite state!

Look into northern california towns, for sure.
Union Pacific, out of Cheyenne, from sea to shining sea
ddsstyle
Visitor

#45542 3 years ago
I love San diego and will never live anywhere else. Big city that doesnt feel like one. The weather, the outdoor activities, the nightlife are all fantastic! Cost of living is reasonable considering it is the most beautiful city in the world! If you get 15 minutes out of downtown, housing becomes exponentially cheaper. Everything is so close nearby and rarley do I need to travel more than 15 minutes to get anywhere I need to in the area. Traffic can be bad at rush hour but it is not even comperable to LA. Im an avid hiker, climber, and outdoorsman and there is no shortage of amazing places to explore! Job in the medical field you say? SCRIPPS and UCSD and a plethora of other medical companies and organizations are here. Especially related to veterans care. If you enjoy marijuana then SD is one of the best spots for medical patients. Anyone can get a doctors rec for under $40 and there are over 150 clubs in the city! Our cannabis prices our also much better than LA and roughly the same as the Bay Area. The beautiful outdoor harvest Oct-Dec is what gives norcal the edge there! I also want to ad im from Norcal and you cannot go wrong there either! In short, im glad you are considering joing us left coasters and moving to the greatest state in the union Re reading this post made me realize how lucky I am to live here.
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Listen To The Flower People

Re: life long east coaster with california questions

#45568 3 years ago
I've spent lots of time visiting California & have come to the conclusion that I'd have a very difficult time living close to any of the larger metro areas. San Diego is nice, but let's keep it real here ... it's still a big city. San Luis Obispo might be the largest city I could handle in CA. Having said that, I could easily live in one of many of the vast rural areas ... or on the very outermost fringes of population centers.
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#45585 3 years ago
I don't live in CA but I go there a lot for shows since my sister lives in the bay area, makes life easy for that. I have two nieces and a nephew so I get to see them when I do NYE or Shoreline or whatever. I like CA, but I have a career and a good friends in NM so I'm not leaving. It's cool here but we don't get shows but it's close enough to CO and CA that I'm not missing much.

If you go CA, go north. The people are cooler in general and there will be jobs to be had as a medical professional. You'll be fine. CA is cheaper than NJ/NYC/CT area in terms of property taxes. Your house will probably cost more but there is always renting.

Go west. You'll be grateful you did. I left NJ as soon as I graduated HS and never looked back. No way I would live there ever again after living out here since 91. The only thing I miss is the pizza. I went to Mann, courtesy of Smiley. It was insanely hot but I had a good time. I probably smelled worse than 420 will after a show in his platy suit but I had a good time. But I don't want to live there any more.
All You Need
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Irrenarzt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pawtrack
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#45586 3 years ago
hahahahhahaa, yeah that things gonna desperately need a dry cleaning after tour. lmao. Ima try let the platyfreak air out between shows, but still. hahahhaaha Probly gonna put a dab o oil on him before shows. hehehehe.

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKED for Western Furthur Tour 2011 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#45587 3 years ago
Oh, for advice. MOVE TO VENICE. lol =-)
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#45618 3 years ago
I lived in SoCal for 6 yrs in many cities and by far San Diego was my fav. I could go for a Hodads burger right now!
The voices tell me what to say
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#45624 3 years ago
im a Kentucky boy, and i Love Cali. but we are having a tuff time with jobs here like everywhere so if you want a job in med. prof. i would suggest the bay area, and live just outside of it. S.F. is my fav. city in the lower 48. has some really great neigherhoods.(and some shady ones). Big Sir is fun, but i dont know about jobs. nor cal is great but its hard to find work as with comparable pay north of the bay area, the people who live here are either wealthy and money isnt much of a concern, or they chose to take a hit in the pocket book to live in a beatiful place. i got a friend and neighbor who COMMUTES to S.F. cause shes a nurse and the moneys that much better, she keeps a pad down there and gets her shifts in all at one time then comes home. 4 hour commute to live here. but its worth it.
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds