• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Wind_Spirit
Junior Boarder

Repeats?

#45367 2 years, 12 months ago
I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds or anything and I'm not trying to complain, and those so called kind deadheads who read my post about needing a ride and didn't even say anything must not be so kind but whatever I'm still smiling <3 anyhow Im really not trying to complain I'm happy that their still playing at all but this is the first time I'm really able to fallow the whole tour and it seems there have been a lot of repeats even just at the shows I attended, I know they like to improve and stuff but idk it just bums me out when I'm at a show and I hear 3 of the songs that I heard two shows ago, like can't they at least space them out better? just a topic I thought worth being a topic you old heads and forum heads can go ahead and tear into now <3 and teach me some things....cuz I really do love hearing it
I'm going away, I'm leaving today
I'm going but I ain't coming back
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by Wind_Spirit.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Repeats?

#45372 2 years, 12 months ago
I can understand what you're saying. It's always nice to have every show be new and different, not to mention there's always those personal "firsts" to get in. But given the number of songs per show and the number of shows per tour, just from a practical standpoint, that's a pretty big show-ready repertoire without repeats for a band that's only been together a couple of years. And of course, some songs are simply worth hearing every single time they're played!
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by SunshineSue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wind_Spirit
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#45394 2 years, 12 months ago
i can relate...sometimes on tour certain songs get a lot of attention, and that will vary from tour to tour which songs get that attention...coming from the standpoint of someone on tour, it can get frustrating to hear some get overplayed, but it is only frustrating if you are more concerned about statistics, like sue mentioned 'getting firsts', keeping each one brand spanking new....i only did 6 shows on this tour and heard eyes of the world twice as well as dark star and even a couple others...but you know what...all versions of each were very different but similar in basic song structure...i notice their groove differs each night...different genres influencing the jams, different songs to segue in and out of...they keep it real and fresh in a way that doesn't exactly require a catalog the size of GD's

all i can say is enjoy each jam that comes your way respect it for unique properties and help create more!! see ya out on the west coast!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#45437 2 years, 12 months ago
It's seems to me that I hear let it grow at every show. On the west coast that is
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#45442 2 years, 12 months ago
I've never heard a song repeated!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#45445 2 years, 12 months ago
not including tonight, they had played 144 different songs out of less then 200 that they played this tour (i think it was 188) so I'd say there mixing it up plenty good enough. Instead of getting mad about getting a few songs over you should look at each show as a whole, where allthough you might find a few repeats here and there, each show is completley different as a whole and unique in its own way. Like has been said already, these guys never play the same song the same way twice and also think about this....... Bob and Phil I'm sure have their favorite songs to play and with a touring schedule smaller then the past, they only have X amount of shows to play the music they love so your bound to hear some repeats here and there.

It seems to me Furthur is mixing things up more then the Grateful Dead used to from any given time period.....

I was also thinking that if they take turns making setlists and say Phil had St. Stephen/The Eleven in a set and then Bob had a good idea for a set with those songs to, they don't want one of them to have to drop ideas from their setlists just thinking about "oh we already played these once or twice this tour".

I went to 5 shows this tour and probably got half a dozen repeats or so, but looking at each show as a whole they were all totally different and each show special in its own way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder
let there be songs to fill the air!!!

#45931 2 years, 11 months ago
completely understand where your commin from - and i get a tad bummed too- esp. when were are waiting on songs that they havent broken out - i was so hoping to hear a silvio/tequillia or a peggyo for cmac - but it was not to be-golden road to unlimted devotion was a repeat from Bethel i believe - oh well...maybe next show?!!!
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#45998 2 years, 11 months ago
I find the repeat songs to always be different and I've noticed that a song might appear in the 1st set and then at the next show be in the 2nd set. Like playin which i got at the end of the 1st set at Bethel I think, then it came out in philly in the 2nd set with the amazing reprise. Think there are a few others that they do this with.
snorky
Fresh Boarder

#46004 2 years, 11 months ago
Certain songs are in the rotation heavy, but those are the "jam" vehicles. A website that lists every song played, how many times total, times during the tour and during the last four gigs: thebarnpresents.com/furthur ( google it if that ain't correct)
The numbers don't lie, this band has a huge potential song book, they use it, and those "often" repeats NEVER sound alike, IMHO. Had a blast this summer and can't wait until Eugene and Red Rocks. Enjoy it we have it, nothing lasts forever.
kfender
Gold Boarder

#46006 2 years, 11 months ago
I agree that some tunes are used as jam vehicles.I thoroughly enjoyed the Help>Slip>Eleven>Franklin's at Bethel.The Help>Slip got played 3 times I believe but only once in it's traditional format.I also agree that there are songs I could hear every show lol.That being said I could do without hearing Truckin' at every NY show I go to,just kidding,I take whatever I can get.Hope to see some east coast late Fall shows.Peace all
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds