• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
shakedown71
Fresh Boarder

Re: What got you into the Dead / hooked

#4987 3 years, 5 months ago
Ahh where to begin, growing up I was always attracted to head music, mainly pink floyd. Then in the late 80s, I heard touch of grey on the radio and kind of liked the sound of that guitar. Sounded so different. I was also into the dire straits and thought the guitar playing had some similarities. Then I remember listening to bruce hornsby and there was that sound again. Then I was told that was jerry garcia playing the guitar track on one of the songs. I remember saying to myself, I like that sound. So in 89 I go off to college and one of my buddies who was really into them says the grateful dead are coming to miami arena, do you want to camp out for tickets? I was like sure. So I started getting into some live stuff. Then a month later, it's showtime! 10/26/89 a date I will never forget. Not only was this to be my first show, but also my first hit of acid. Oh boy! All I remember was people holding signs, something about so many thousands of days since the dead played darkstar in miami. I remember something clicked and all of the sudden everything in my life finally made sense. I remember screaming "what have I been listening to for 18 years? This is music! This is f&*$ing music! " I also said I want to play guitar like that!" And having been playing ever since. Still trying to make it happen. Well, from then on I was so hooked! From 89 -95 I saw them 40 times. And since then, I am sure I am well over 100 shows. And everyone has been a unique learning experience. They changed my whole outlook on life, and have made me a better person. I am so grateful.

Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right.
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds