• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Re: What got you into the Dead / hooked

#4864 3 years, 5 months ago
Curiosity,

I was in the Navy, and went downtown in Norfolk Va. on a night off. There was Grateful Dead a show at the Scope '82 or '83, seems like 82. A friend and I went to see what it was like.

Didn't trip or even smoke any weed. Just took in the sights.

Mickey was playing that big round drum set then.

Later we went to some Hampton (83, 84) and Norfolk (84) shows.

Those I tripped at. What times...
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Chester
More or less in line

#4870 3 years, 5 months ago
It was a lot of influence from friends that got me to my first show. But it was the music that made me stay.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#4886 3 years, 5 months ago
Back in about the late 80's I'd totally gone over the edge into Hendrix, Floyd, Zep as well as a lot of reggae at the time. Up to that point I'd only heard some studio stuff and what was on the radio, Touch of Grey I think, etc. and I thought they were barely interesting but honestly a little cheesy except for some of the more psychadelic things like the spacey shit from the infrared roses disc and I thought the country rock vibe of the other stuff which sounded like a different group altogether was definitely not up my alley but beyond that they were just ok and no real big deal to me :- ) needless to say I just did not get it. BUT THEN one day - totally sober I might add- I heard the LIVE cd, one from the vault, and from the opening sound of the crowd with I believe B. Graham introducing the band and then the LAUNCH into Help/Slipknot/Franklins Tower I was like WTF is this!!! This is the coolest shit I've ever heard. It entirely grabbed me by the head, heart, and nuts 100%, I could just feel the energy and the on the spot joy/creative creation for lack of a possibly better word taking place in making this music. It's been over 20 years and the music still has things to reveal. So that was the start of it and then quite awhile later I went to my first show, Vegas, but that 's another story altogether.
starlite
Junior Boarder

#4889 3 years, 5 months ago
people turning me on to their records. hooked even before a show but really TOAST at Day on The Green.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#4905 3 years, 5 months ago
I was 18 and just graduated high school. I was working at a restaurant as a cook (I was going to culinary school that fall) and he says to me- "you of all people need to come to the dead with me". We'd been hanging out after work ,etc. and they'd smoke pot but I barely drank back then. So we drove all the way to Wisconsin from CT and spent a week cooing in the Alpine drought of 1988. I was really into Led Zep and the Doors, and I liked music with a real strong lead guitar player. But from the tpes it all sounded lke mud. So the thing that got me was when we were at Alpine and waiting for the show to start, the usher guy let me walk way up to the front (we were aud) and let me take a few pictures. All that beautiiful stuff up there just blew me away. These guys were serious!

And then it was the wild dancing. I was into Jim Morrison's "break on through" concept, and right here before me, in that big ass aisle/walkway that seperated the lawn from the seats were people doing just that. Glad to say the next year I was down ther, tripping balls and digging with the rest of them... what a time!!!! I went from a total square to a pot smoking slightly bent square over a year....
bobdawg
Fresh Boarder

#4909 3 years, 5 months ago
Interestingly enough I got hooked well after the bus was in the garage.Jerry was already gone,and to make it worse I was old enough to have gone to shows when he was still alive.Anyway it happened at a party and a cd was playing in the backround.I later learned it was american beauty.The music affected me in such a profound way that I walked away from everyone lost in the sound.That was about 12 years ago.My love has only grown from the country psychedlia,to soul shattering jams that lift the subconscience.It is not a music but a devotion, almost a religion.I can see why people follow them around I wish my life allowed me to take a year off and do just that,but I can only wait to get to the next show.to get to terrapin.Peace!
bobdawg
Fresh Boarder

#4913 3 years, 5 months ago
5/8/77 the best ever!!!!! dont care what anyone says mountain dew is magic.so is the scarlet/fire
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#4952 3 years, 5 months ago
My Dad really. I remember ebing just a little kid, and begging him to play 'Fire on the Mountain.' What really 'cemented' it was the show he took me and my buddy to in 03 up at Darien Lakes. Dylan opened. It was a freaking amazing time! On the drive out, some wookie got butt ass naked and started running intebween the line of cars! Fn hilarious!
charliechanman
Junior Boarder

#4963 3 years, 5 months ago
I was in the right place at the right time. My college roommate introduced me to the music and a host of college friends were into it. After my first semester, when I was home for the holidays, it was like "eureka" all of my high school friends were into them too. We shared our first show on June 26, 1988 in Pittsburgh:

06-26-88 Pittsburgh Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, Pa. (Sun)
1: Half Step> Rooster, Push, Mama Tried> Big River> Cumberland, Start Your Engines, Big RxR Blues, Music
2: Touch, Playin> Uncle John> Playin> Drumz> Mr. Fantasy> Hey Jude Finale> Black Peter> Lovelight E: Black Muddy River
first "Start Your Engines"

www.archive.org/details/gd88-06-26.sbd-m...ocki.5608.sbeok.shnf

But two songs really hooked me: Birdsong and Crazy Fingers...
SAY YOUR PEACE AND GET OUT
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by charliechanman.
about1270due
Fresh Boarder

#4982 3 years, 5 months ago
it was at the coliseum,vancouver,june 23,1973..that's when i started to feel lucky,GLAD, to be a part of this thing.. let it go in '95..but after takin care of stuff,(life happens ),found m'self here again!! sometime last year..
Time to create page: 0.72 seconds