• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Rasmichael
Fresh Boarder

Re: What got you into the Dead / hooked

#4637 3 years, 5 months ago
Reading the Tom Wolfe book "Electric Kool-aid Acid Test got me interested. Seeing them in 1971,but it was Watkins Glen-Summer Jam in 1973 that turn me dedicated.

Englishtown in 77'- that anything can happen, all things are possible and the Archives re-energiezed my interest after Jerry passed.

They were'nt fibbing- "nothing like a Grateful Dead show."
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Rasmichael. Reason: punctuation
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#4644 3 years, 5 months ago
american beauty
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
CalliopesAndClowns
Junior Boarder
Bobby fans are people too!!!

#4648 3 years, 5 months ago
My friends and a lot of Europe '72
This afternoon, streets turned grey and I watched the cars below
My time coming any day, don't worry 'bout me, no
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

#4659 3 years, 5 months ago
My high school German teacher. Used to give me shows that he taped and then tell me a little bit about the band after each class.
comesatime
Junior Boarder

#4663 3 years, 5 months ago
Gooney birds
"........the band kept us so busy, we forgot about the time....."
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#4664 3 years, 5 months ago
My parents took me to a couple shows when i was a little guy.....I suppose that is the real root of it all. I went through different musical phases when I was growing up but always listened to the Dead at home. It was great to see everyone who i was hanging around start to listen to them during my college days.....they were all chilling to the studio stuff and I was blowing minds with live tracks from 72 through 81.....We are all so blessed to have been around during this tiny sliver of time.....See them while you can!
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Lynx
Visitor

#4667 3 years, 5 months ago
being stuck for 6 months on a ship with only europeans who love techno~> 3g of dried cubensis~> a long walk in the woods~> and a copy of Reckoning I picked up in a second hand store in Ketchikan Alaska.

Done deal.
Ramblin_Joe
Junior Boarder

#4677 3 years, 5 months ago
I was originally into a lot of the same blues and country that Jerry Garcia was first influenced by (Chuck Berry, Merle Haggard, etc). After hearing the Grateful Dead's studio albums I wasn't hooked AT ALL, until the night I heard my first live Grateful Dead show on a local public radio station. The live versions of these songs were just SOOO amazing, unlike anything else that existed, so I naturally had to follow that trail which I am still proudly following. I waited in the car until the songs were done so I could hear the radio announcer say what the names were - "Dire Wolf" and "China Cat Sunflower". That "awakening" experience changed my life forever and the memory will remain as vivid as the great sound that caused it.
SHAGGYSAV
Fresh Boarder

#4678 3 years, 5 months ago
skipped school when i was 14 dad had the dead records just started listining never stoped going to my first further show on 4-2-11 cant wait.......
ScarletFire
Junior Boarder

#4683 3 years, 5 months ago
Lynx wrote:
being stuck for 6 months on a ship with only europeans who love techno~> 3g of dried cubensis~> a long walk in the woods~> and a copy of Reckoning I picked up in a second hand store in Ketchikan Alaska.

Done deal.

A lot of things led up to it but listening to the Space > Fire from Dead Set in the right state of mind sealed it for me.
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds