• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Brother Dust
Gold Boarder

What got you into the Dead / hooked

#4527 3 years, 7 months ago
So what got you into the Grateful Dead and when do you realize your were hooked ? I love to hear stories about it. For me it has to being sucked in by my first show. It was so much to take in. The lot, the heads, the show and pretty much everything that came along with it. Lately its changed my thinking , more to the positive compared to all the everyday bullshit that tries to bring you down.
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

Re: What got you into the Dead / hooked

#4547 3 years, 7 months ago
Almost embarrassed to say but I went to my first show for the drugs. Once I got there and experienced the community then heard the music my life was change so much for the better. The vibe around me always made me feel good about life. I had more confidence in who I was. The music was always magical for me and still is. This is why I love the grateful dead
GOOD LOVE
Brother Dust
Gold Boarder

#4551 3 years, 7 months ago
Drugs ? No one went there for that . HA HA HA That was also one of the things that got me the the 1st show.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#4552 3 years, 7 months ago
nothing to be ashamed of . i knew right away that i would come again but the party is what attracted me at first too.
after a few shows i got things on a more spiritual level.
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#4555 3 years, 7 months ago
It was early june 1995 and i was 16 when older highschool friends of mine literally dosed me and took me on a roadtrip a few days after summer vaca started. that trip was to highgate vermont on 6/15/95 to see dylan and the gd. never the same again.
deadbeat427
Junior Boarder

#4565 3 years, 7 months ago
I started hanging out with a friend who was a deadhead. I have always loved The Beatles and bands from the 60s and 70s but had never really gotten into the Dead for some reason. He turned me onto Dead music and from the first few albums he let me borrow I was hooked buying a new cd or mp3s each week or day!
Make myself a bed by the waterside
In my time - in my time - I will roll roll roll
1eyedcheshire
Junior Boarder

#4569 3 years, 7 months ago
Jerry Garcia.

Oh, and that little piece of paper with the red flying saucer on it didn't hurt either.
quomaya2
Junior Boarder

#4573 3 years, 7 months ago
I had been listening to their studio albums for a little while and they were just another band, but then I went to Wallingford in december 09, with no idea what I was in for. I went not even knowing whether it would be chill to toke inside. I was hooked since then. What really sealed it was when the crowd chanted "No my love will not fade away" for what seemed like 20 minutes after the band left the stage.
ddsstyle
Visitor

#4579 3 years, 7 months ago
I am a late comer and did not get into The Dead until I was 18 in 2003. Turned onto them by a friends mother who is an old school head. Played me a real slow funky live versions of Hell in a Bucket and Truckin' and I was hooked
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#4586 3 years, 7 months ago
I was always on the periph, like grew up in 70's era prog-rock (Rush, Yes, King Crimson) that required attentive listening. Later the Allmans, Airplane, CSN, Little Feat ... Then my punk rock friends evolved into deadheads while I was in the military, passed me tapes, and that's all she wrote! Came to the Dead through the back door sorta, went to a nat'l rainbow gathering a year before my first Dead show (Atlanta '91), and thought all deadheads were rainbow family.
*ouch!*
All it took was 30 mins. on the lot, tho, and I was home!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds