• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Tom Banjo
Visitor

PLEASE DONT GO BACK TO THE MANN

#45232 3 years, 1 month ago
Hey guys, first off, let me say that I love you all.. you are all wonderful, I just got thru with this yers tour which for me started at bethel and ended at Canandaigua... I am a deadicated fan and have been a fan since the late 80's. I am not sure if you all are aware of what happened at the Mann but it was so aweful to so many people inlcuding women and children that the Mann managed to piss off so many hippies that day which is so unlike what we are all about. I am NOT a ranting lunatic but I feel that the Mann went out of their ways to be mean. The started by charging us a vending fee and then telling us that we would be arrested if we vended (we were selling food and drinks)/. But the shit that happened at the entrance, which could have been avoided if they opened the doors earlier) was ridiculous. Security was refusing to let people in until people calmed down. A riot endued in which I witnessed a security officer hit a man, threaten another man, shove a woman and a child and shove a pregnant woman and not allow her entrance even thorugh everyone else was trying to get her to the fgront (since se was pregnant). The stress alone was enough for there to have been complications with her unborn child. I hope to this day everything worked out okay for her. Listen, we all travelled far and paid for our ticket but we missed three songs because the security refused to do their jobs and otherwise treated us like crap. (I am trying to watch my french, so to speak

Anyway, I am not sure if you heard of what occurred... I am sure that you saw the onrush of people join the show after the riot gained us entrance. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT GO BACK TO THE MANN. MOST HIPPIES ARE NOT GOING THAT WENT THIS YEAR AND I AM SPENDING ALL YEAR IN GETTIN OTHERS TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THERE - THE VIOL.ENCE TOWARDS THE KIDS WAS THE WORSE FOR ME TO SEE SINCE I AM A TEACHER. YOU ALL SAY THIS IS AN "ALL-AGED" EVENT YET CHILDREN WERE CRYING, BEIG SHOVED AND BEING KNOCKED DOWN -NOT BY THE HIPPIES BUT BY THE SECURITY!

Please do not go back to the Mann...
On the other hand, the Jones Beach was awesome and beautiful, right on the water. Behtel was gorgeous and a joy to be there. SPAC was very nice too! Mann is a beautiful venue and i had a killer time there last year (and this year to some degree sionce you guys saved the day). But I beg of you to not go back to this venue. Peace and thank you for all the music you gave me in the last few weeks. You guys really rocked, moved my soul and put me on new levels of understanding the music.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: PLEASE DONT GO BACK TO THE MANN

#45253 3 years, 1 month ago
I wonder if it was a coincidence that they played "Last Time"
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#45258 3 years, 1 month ago
tom banjo---it is unfortunate to hear about what you experienced/witnessed...i heard about some gate complications during the setbreak, nothing like that...i heard people were just getting out of control

i went in about 15 minutes before the actual showtime and had no problem..yes i waited in the line but no one was loud, no one was irate, no one was pushing, it was calm....my only guess is that pack of folks must've waited until very close to showtime and everyone got crazy because they all wanted to slide thru at the exact same time...

sedation---interesting thought...
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
pawtrack
Junior Boarder

#45259 3 years, 1 month ago
I really gave it to them on their facebook page, if you haven't been on it yet go there and write about your experience. I've never seen so much anger at a show, and I love heavy metal as much as the dead. Inside, they ran out of water or gave you piss warm water and said take it or leave it when you asked about it. Philly is a wild town, and can get out of control, i've seen many violent things at Philly events, this will be the last time i ever go to any event in Philly period.
Tom Banjo
Visitor

#45264 3 years, 1 month ago
There were 2 entrances..one was clear and the other was clogged. It sounds like you went thru the clear entrance which they never told us about and which might have alleviated things. It's not so much the line that formed, it was the way the security guards dealt with what was happening.
Tom Banjo
Visitor

#45266 3 years, 1 month ago
I hear ya on that! I did hear rumors that Bobby and Philly were angry over what happened but you know about rumors, right?
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#45267 3 years, 1 month ago
Hmm hate to here anyone had a bad time been going to shows at the Mann since the 80's --without any issues. Like Mr Lewis I went in 20-30 minutes in advance. Smooth as silk- Trust me I was young once and would wait til as late as possiible to go in.. I would also ck the line to get in and adjust accordingly. In all my shows I missed one song- Shakedown at Foxboro----because a friend spent time lookin for someone. In the end I am there for the music. Not the vending. Not the scene (although I've enjoyed both)... I am there for the music first and anything else is a distant second. SO if you are at a venue that holds 7-8k and is sold out you might not want to wait till 5 minutes before showtime before going in. Also we all knew how hot it was going to be and we took in large water bottles that lasted tilll well into the second set. Planning is everything. I don't condone whatever went down.. I'm just saying if you went for just the MUSIC you would NOT wait till 5 minutes before showtime then get unruly because they are searching people. I'll' be back to the Mann--- in my seat with a cold one no less than 10 minutes before showtime. BTW the worst I ever saw this was at Star Lake night one in 92. The boys came out I was in the pavillion and the place was no more than 25% full. I remember thinkin where the f is everybody? Turns out it was a gate cluserf$%^ and many people missed the whole first set ( and that set had JERRY!) Put the music first and everything else a distant 4th and you won't have as many issues.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: killwhyT
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#45268 3 years, 1 month ago
i am really appalled at this, i feel terrible for anyone who had a bad experience...i hope there is some resolution or closure....

i can't say shit though, or complain on any page, my experience was nothing short of amazing...i'm glad i got in when i did i guess...

in fact i would rally for another mann visit except multiple folks obviously experienced this negativity.. i will hold back, in thoughts of ya'll...what are alternative outdoor venues there with that capacity?
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
pawtrack
Junior Boarder

#45271 3 years, 1 month ago
camden
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#45273 3 years, 1 month ago
reminds me of the first night at Best Buy this year - I was in line over an hour before showtime and I still missed part of the first song, some people missed the whole 1st set. It was rediculous..... I heard security got in trouble and the other 4 nights went real smooth going in.
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds