#45162 3 years ago
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan, scar1et_f1re
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Phil's Venue News

#45167 3 years ago
Wow thanks for that - can't wait....

at first I wondered why he changed from Terrapin Landing to Terrapin Crossroads but the last paragragh cleared all that up....

I might have to move out to Cali, then visit home here on the east coast for the Furthur tours
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#45168 3 years ago
Any chance you could copy paste that text for me?
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by ecojaded.
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#45169 3 years ago
cool beans
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#45170 3 years ago
Lib at Large: Grateful Dead's Lesh moves ahead with plans for Fairfax music barn

By Paul Liberatore
Marin Independent Journal
Posted: 07/29/2011 05:39:00 AM PDT

To celebrate what would have been Jerry Garcia's 68th birthday on Aug. 1, his former Grateful Dead bandmate, bassist Phil Lesh is planning to officially file for a use permit to build a music barn in Fairfax.

"It's a place for me to play with my sons and younger musicians, and also with many of the musical friends I've been playing with for the last 15 years or so," said Lesh of the barn, called Terrapin Crossroads. "At the same time, we want it to be a place the community can feel free to use. We're trying to find out if what we want to do will fit in with the town."

Back in April, I wrote a column about Lesh eyeing the Good Earth Organic & Natural Foods store as a possible site for a venue like this. The Good Earth, at Sir Francis Drake Boulevard and Claus Drive, is set to move into larger quarters in the long-shuttered Albertsons supermarket.

The news from Lesh alarmed some of the immediate neighbors, who were worried about noise, traffic and other problems associated with an influx of Deadhead fans.

Before settling in Ross, where he lives now, Lesh lived in Fairfax for 13 years and still feels a strong connection to a town that famously embraces many of the countercultural values of the Haight-Ashbury, where the Grateful Dead lived before moving to Marin in the late '60s.

"Fairfax is very Haight-like," Lesh said. "It has that feeling."

So, in that community spirit, he and his wife, Jill, went to the Good Earth one night when it was closed, took a look around and realized that there was no way they could operate a live music venue on that residential corner without disturbing the neighborhood.

"It was not going to work," Lesh admitted. "We take the neighbors concerns very seriously. We don't want to come in and just push people around. We're just hoping we'll be able to do everything right so Fairfax will want us."

To that end, they shifted their focus to the lot next door to the Good Earth, an old mechanics shop just west at 2000 Sir Francis Drake Blvd.

"It's solidly on Drake, not on a residential corner," Jill Lesh explained. "The performance space will be concrete clad in wood, so it will be completely soundproof. You would not be able to hear anything outside. Obviously, we have to deal with parking and traffic and other issues, and that's what the use permit process is for. We have a lot of work to do to see if we can address all those concerns."

The property is in escrow, its sale contingent on Fairfax granting a use permit.

"If we don't get a use permit, we'll go somewhere else," she said. "There are lots of places in Marin where we could do this, but Fairfax feels like such a welcoming family town. They even have a Jerry Garcia memorial. It's a town where we feel we could be personally involved, where we can make a positive difference. And also bring in some world-class music."

The plan is to tear down the old garage, now used as an office, and build a rustic, two-story music barn inspired by the barn-studio in Woodstock, N.Y., where Band drummer Levon Helm hosts his homespun all-star jam sessions, called Midnight Rambles.

A member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Lesh played at one of the Rambles and felt like he'd seen God.

"It was like going to church," he recalled. "I knew immediately that was something I wanted to do at home, to have a place like that. It's small enough and intimate enough that it gives the music more meaning."

In addition to a 2,800 performance space on the ground floor, to be cleverly called the Grate Room, the floor plan includes a large community meeting room upstairs and enough space for school of rock-type workshops and classes for young people.

"It's a music barn we're building, but more importantly it's a community gathering place," he said. "St. Rita's School and Fairfax Lumber have already asked if they could use it for events."

At 71, Lesh is looking to spend less time on the road and more at home. He's also thinking about his musical legacy. He and Jill have two sons, Brian and Graham, both musicians with bands of their own, and this would be something special to pass on to them.

In their golden years, Lesh and Bob Weir​ appear to be leading another Grateful Dead golden era in Marin music. Weir's running TRI Studios, his live music Webcasting facility in San Rafael, and he's a major player in the new Sweetwater coming to Mill Valley. Now here's Lesh with ambitious plans for Fairfax.

Originally, Lesh wanted to call the place Terrapin Landing, a take on the 1977 Grateful Dead album "Terrapin Station," but switched to Terrapin Crossroads because, as he put it, "Crossroads feels like we're still in motion, whereas 'landing' implies we're at the journey's end. But it's not the journey's end, believe me. This is a new beginning."

Contact Paul Liberatore via email at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/LibLarge. Follow his blog at blogs.marinij.com/ad_lib.
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - j. lennon
Last Edit: 3 years ago by mandala.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Ossumpei, skidoo, ecojaded
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds