• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

Re: WEIR HERE

#5659 3 years ago
There isnt even a comparison for me. I know they're 'two' different bands, but from the lives shows I've seen (3 Ratdog, 2 Furthur), I gotta say Furthur. Every Ratdog shows was disjointed, and the set list was weird. And relistening to Ratdog has never had the same spark. I can listen to Furthur the way I listen to the GD -- all the time!
charliechanman
Junior Boarder

#5669 3 years ago
Wow, that's a good question to debate. I will see my first Furthur show on Wednesday, so I'll have a better opinion then. However, I must say that I have very much enjoyed the 10 Ratdog shows that I've seen. Especially the epic first Penn's Peak show that was 7 years ago today.

3/27/2004 Penn's Peak, Jim Thorpe, PA
I: Bird Song Jam > Jack Straw > Bird Song Jam > Jack Straw > Bird Song > Odessa, Jam > Shade of Grey > Hell in a Bucket > So Many Roads > Bird Song Jam > Easy to Slip > Big Railroad Blues
II: Jam@4 > Me and My Uncle@4, City Girls@, The Weight@, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl > Women are Smarter > Two Djinn > Foolish Heart > Stuff > Dear Prudence > Bird Song > One More Saturday Night
E: Brokedown Palace
Kenny on touchpad during second set jam and percussion on parts of "Shade," "Bucket," and "Foolish"; Stuff - Jay/Robin/Jeff/Kenny > all
First ''Foolish Heart''

www.archive.org/details/Ratdog2004-03-27.Nak1000.V3.DAT

Having said that, I've felt that Ratdog was beginning to become stagnant. I haven't seen them since 2007 and was not really all that concerned about seeing them again. The tempo just seemed too slow and from the recordings that I heard, there was a spark missing. Once Bobby & Phil rekindled their desire to make music together in '09 it was apparent that Furthur was the perfect outlet for them. I have absolutely dug every Furthur recording that I have listened too. There is a magic that has been missing for a while and an energy that is simply embyorinic...
SAY YOUR PEACE AND GET OUT
Chinacat
Fresh Boarder

#5671 3 years ago
Loved Ratdog but I have to give it to Furthur, they have really worked hard to bring us killer sounds! Bobby performing the best I've ever seen him, totally on top of his game.

John K. has really matured playing with Phil and Bobby. He's doing such an amazing job. The Stella Blue from Radio City 3/26 was incredible!

Really digging Furthur!! Thank the lucky stars Phil and Bobby are playing together and look so happy doing it.
twitterpic.jpg
Bzerk 2
Junior Boarder

#5688 3 years ago
I love Ratdog but these guys are playing great. Furthur really gets it done for me. Jk is a real good fiit and they seam to be sounding tighter & tighter.The shows are full of allot of energy & I see allot of people smileing from ear to ear at these shows.
I hope they keep going for as long as Phil wants. Then we will get our Ratdog back.
People can bitch all they want but this band is getting it done!!!! It would be nice to get a few Dog shows thrown into the mix during these tour breaks.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Bzerk 2.
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#5693 3 years ago
I think they each have very positaive qualities. I loved the small venues that Ratdog played and the fact that one could actually get a ticket w/out dealing with scalpers or the uncertaintyof a miracle.
Furthur has really got it, tho. I agree with whomever said that they can listen to the shows the way they listened to GD, after the fact. That didn't happen for me with any of the other incarnationsof the band.

But...I am terrified that the hype will make it impossible to get good tix for upcoming shows, so how about we all agree to shhhhhh about how great this band reallly is? ; )))
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
cletus1
Junior Boarder

#5826 3 years ago
i have to say i have enjoyed all the ratdog and furthur shows i have seen. whatever keeps em going.
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds