• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: Average age of people here

#46067 3 years ago
StuartSlate wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:
For those of you wishing you’d been born earlier...

My oh my. Don't desire to throw away young years over some music (almost all of it recorded for endless re-play). Sure, I suppose back then there were more opportunities to be a hippy unlike now when being a Futhur fan is a rare opportunity for that scene.

Someone wrote here a few weeks ago that they are now 19 but wish they'd have been 19 in 1965 in order to have enjoyed the full experience and that being 19 in 2011 is a drag. Well, if you had been 19 in 1965 you would be 65 today and you would be looking at old age.

Is that really a trade that you would prefer to make? All the music is there. Buy a history book for the rest.
and a really good chance youd be drafted and fight in vietnam
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#46109 3 years ago
SunshineSue wrote:
As an exercise in personal growth (since I'm still mildly freaked out about it), I will confess that I just turned 50. And never felt better, darn it!!

LOL I'm still a kid at 46 chronologically, 16 mentally (its taken a long time to get that far) & physically 246.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#46111 3 years ago
Quisp and

I loved Quisp!!!! oh and I was lucky enough that my ex was a head so my daughter (now 16) is named Cassidy ..and she attended her first Ratdoggy show in 99 at Penns Landing in Philly. Quite a sight as people laughed as she knew all the words and danced to Sat Night! Kfen those are the "bestest" years..they go by like lightnin...
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#46114 3 years ago
SunshineSue wrote:
For those of you wishing you’d been born earlier, I can sure understand wanting to have seen more pre-1995 shows, but if it makes you feel better, here are some other things to consider:

- No internet, so having to redial the Dead Hotline phone numbers over and over and over again to try and get past the busy signal in order to get info on the shows. Then once you got actually got through, trying to scribble down the info fast enough, then filling out individual index cards, money orders and #10 envelopes for every show, then worrying that you didn’t do it right and it would get rejected or the envelope wasn’t decorated interestingly enough to score some close seats.
- No cell phones, so trying to meet up with friends was hit or miss at best. Not to mention having to make all travel arrangements, including doing comparison shopping and reservations, via phone calls.
- Waiting weeks for a cassette tape of a show to get mailed, if you managed to find one, unless you happened to be with a taper, though that meant lugging lots of heavy analog equipment all over (I swear I still have dents in my shoulders from mic stands). Not to mention the size of the boom boxes and cassette carrying cases for listening to anything at all pre/post-show; no iPods or even Walkmans early on.
- No couch tour, no real-time (or even next day/week) set lists, no downloads
- Waiting 2 months for your special order Grateful Dead Movie VHS, and only after having to convince the video store owner that it was indeed a real movie, not obscene and yes, I really did want to pay then-big bucks for it.

The “old days” were great, I wouldn’t have missed it for the world, but there’s an awful lot of modern improvements that I’d hate to be without. Every era is a good era in its way!

LOL SUE

To these I would add: Calling 1900-run- dead for setlists as the ace cubby reporter would string you along for 3 0r 4 minutes
(at 99cents a minute)

Sort of addressed above but I remember when getting one whole show tape was like receivng the Holy Grail.

Not sure how we all survived without 500 pictures of every show from our cell phone.

Although I could have used one at deer creek in 89 when the ex picked up the wrong envelope and left our 3 nights of Primo pavvilion seats for all 3 followiing Alpine valley shows in Philadelphia. Long great story ..we got in stlyin and profilin all 3 nights (still have full stubs of nights 1 & 2 (night one was the Downhill from Here vid).

Before 900 run dead waiting months for a new relix to come in listing the setlists or getting a Duprees Diamond news in the lot.

On the plus side I will say the magic bus was as easy to come by as a blade of grass at the shows...and there were mighty strong buses goin around!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, SunshineSue
arjanstar
Junior Boarder

#47880 2 years, 11 months ago
This is a sweet thread. I like hearing about who y'all are.

Just turned 39.
First show was in 89. I am so Grateful to have had the opportunity to see so many incarnations of my favorite band.
Feel good music in your soul. Make your body want to Rock and Roll!
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#47882 2 years, 11 months ago
I am 47. It's good to see people of all ages here. Phil at 71 and Bobby at 64 are great role models for us 80's Deadheads, a demonstration that age is just a state of mind, not a number.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: ablebaker
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#47884 2 years, 11 months ago
I'm 45, still alive, aint no luck, I learned to duck.

My first show was in 1983 and I remember during Jerry's guitar jam on Tennessee Jed that I became a Dead Head and would go to as many shows as possible. 12 years and almost 100 shows later Jerry died and I thought a part of me died also. I am sooooo happy that Furthur has reignited my love of the music.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ablebaker
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#47891 2 years, 11 months ago
Turned 25 on the 30th, never made it to Jerry but have seen about 25 post GD shows including Furthur, Ratdog, & Walkers. My parents were bums and I grew up hitchhiking and Greyhounding around the States as a kid but surprisingly never ran into the Family along the way, Moms was more into Hair bands and metal and her boyfriend was to gnarly of an alcoholic, doubt he would have been accepted by the scene. Found out about the Dead via On The Road, Via Hunter, via Kool Aid and haven't looked back. See you all in Vegas!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#47894 2 years, 11 months ago
Here are the latest numbers on this happy little group. The only one I didn't include was Kfender's Riley, and only because I just couldn't stand what that cute young thing did to the average! : )

Sample size = 59 Furthur Forum Family members

Range: 16 - 56 years

Average: 37.9

Median: 40
The following user(s) said Thank You: kfender
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#47896 2 years, 11 months ago
All the years combine, they melt into a dream
Time to create page: 0.80 seconds