• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
StuartSlate
Expert Boarder

Re: Average age of people here

#44715 3 years ago
SunshineSue wrote:
For those of you wishing you’d been born earlier...

My oh my. Don't desire to throw away young years over some music (almost all of it recorded for endless re-play). Sure, I suppose back then there were more opportunities to be a hippy unlike now when being a Futhur fan is a rare opportunity for that scene.

Someone wrote here a few weeks ago that they are now 19 but wish they'd have been 19 in 1965 in order to have enjoyed the full experience and that being 19 in 2011 is a drag. Well, if you had been 19 in 1965 you would be 65 today and you would be looking at old age.

Is that really a trade that you would prefer to make? All the music is there. Buy a history book for the rest.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#44718 3 years ago
40... soon to be 41 in a few months.

i also echo what SunshineSue said. i'm very grateful to have seen the GD 81 times between '85 and '94 (at least that's the number of shows for which i actually had tickets), Jerry Band a bunch of times... even got to see one Garcia/Grisman show, BUT... everything she said is spot on! this is a great era for music, and i'm really enjoying the good NEW days.
mountainjam28
Junior Boarder
Enjoying the ride...

#44729 3 years ago
I'm not saying I don't appreciate my younger years... I'm having a blast, I live everyday like its my last. I just wish I would have a teenager in the 60's/70's. All the music I love was made then and pretty soon it'll be gone... I'm hoping the music will be around forever. I hope its passed down and it keeps going. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As far as technology, yeah it is convienient and its the only way I can see and hear those Dead concerts from back in the day.. for that I'm very, very fortunate.

My mom grew up then and tells me tales of roadtrips to see the Dead, Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, Jefferson Airplane... etc. It was a carefree time... crime wasn't as prevalent as it is today (at least where I live) , you could pick up a hitchhiker, you could leave your window open at night... etc. She had a blast and wishes she could do it all over again.

Maybe I can transport myself back in time with Marty and Doc in the DeLorean?
JStraw
Junior Boarder

#44730 3 years ago
I'm 40, saw 74 shows from '88-'95.
Those were good days, yes, but people are right, we are living good days now too!
Those who hear not the music. . . think the dancers mad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#44746 3 years ago
I saw my first GD show in 1972 (Berkeley, CA). I was 17-you can do the math! Next year it will be 40 years on the bus. Saw a ton of shows (lived in the Bay Area '63-'87), met Jerry once and Bob a couple times.

Now I've seen Furthur 40 times and I'm planning on doing the whole west coast tour. I can't say how much I'm lovin' Furthur. The Grateful Dead music continues to live and thrive.

What a blessing it is to have these guys still making the music and an honor for me to go to shows and help them make the music!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ratdogdonna, SunshineSue
StuartSlate
Expert Boarder

#44751 3 years ago
mountainjam28 wrote:
I'm not saying I don't appreciate my younger years... I'm having a blast, I live everyday like its my last. I just wish I would have a teenager in the 60's/70's...

I hear you and understand fully. The music was crazy by the mid 70s with so many genres and formats and themes blending. (is Shakedown Street disco?) Huge hit songs week after week and year after year - not too mention the harder, heavier and more unusual stuff that didn't get air play.

But sometimes I read people my own age longing for the so-called good old days of the 1960s and I remember... Well, sure, we were young and had little to no responsibility, but 1968 as I recall it (I was 9) looked like the USA was coming apart at the seams.

A hated war continued which entailed anti war protests and demonstrations, mindless political assassinations, urban race riots, Chicago police riots - most everything but an excess of peace and love.

Yes, undoubtedly, they were good years to be young, but don't hold the mistaken belief that everything was peaches and cream in the 1960s. Just my perspective and opinion.
ratdogdonna
Junior Boarder

#44756 3 years ago
Yeah...55...still alive and no clue how or why BUT it's been a long strange trip and I'm still rockin on - yup, still sleepin in the back of the van after a show...my first show was 1973 and it was awesome!
Let there be songs to fill the air <3
mountainjam28
Junior Boarder
Enjoying the ride...

#44760 3 years ago
oh yeah, I know it was a very turbulent time for the United States. It was period of total social, cultural, economic, and political upheaval. I wish with some things happening today that we would learn from what the history of that period taught us. It fueled some great music though!

I was more focused on the music portion of the period.. keepin' it positive! I would just like to have been there when the music was happening. But for now, I'm gonna make use of this technology available to me and download the '78 Winterland Arena show and sit back with a few brews!
StuartSlate
Expert Boarder

#44763 3 years ago
mountainjam28 wrote:
...I was more focused on the music portion of the period...!

I agree with you. It was THE best time for music IMO. Enjoy the brews.
ryandbc
Fresh Boarder

#44858 3 years ago
28 here. When going through my fathers old albums as a teen (he is 68). I was much more into the punk side of the coin. I remember seeing a dead album, thinking "skulls" this is going to be heavy!, playing a song or two and thinking "now this is something I'll never listen to again".

And here I am having seen a a ton of Furthur shows East and West coast =). Many of my friends being in the same boat. It is a true testament to the bands ability to connect with people of all ages, because I assure you 90 percent of us were more likely to be making fun of the Grateful Dead till a few friends convinced us we had to see Furthur. My first ticket being gifted to boot! It's almost as if something was in the water all of a sudden
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
Time to create page: 5.29 seconds