Fresh Boarder

Re: Average age of people here

#44649 3 years, 2 months ago
33 years and still ON THE BUS!
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

#44652 3 years, 2 months ago
24. I've been a fan of the Dead for a little more than 10 years.
Jasper
Senior Boarder

#44668 3 years, 2 months ago
54 on the tires, about 28 on the interior! I do sort of remember when if I try Its all been good and I am loving this second half of the ride!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#44674 3 years, 2 months ago
42 here...but I dont look a day over 25
The following user(s) said Thank You: kfender
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#44677 3 years, 2 months ago
32 years old...First show JGB at the Warfield 1994.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#44680 3 years, 2 months ago
27 years young. Like others I feel I misssed out by being born when I did.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#44702 3 years, 2 months ago
I will be 40 in just a few months.
Old enough to have been lucky enough to catch 11 Grateful Dead shows before the big guy checked out.
I'm sure everyone here (old enough) remembers where they were when they heard the terrible news. I was home, just waking up and my friend called to give me the devastating news. I had just sent in my mail order for 3 shows at MSG for fall tour, and they had just announced 2 shows for the Skydome in Toronto. Those would have been my first (and probably only) Grateful Dead shows in Canada (So much easier to plan properly when not having to cross a border crossing).
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#44703 3 years, 2 months ago
For those of you wishing you’d been born earlier, I can sure understand wanting to have seen more pre-1995 shows, but if it makes you feel better, here are some other things to consider:

- No internet, so having to redial the Dead Hotline phone numbers over and over and over again to try and get past the busy signal in order to get info on the shows. Then once you got actually got through, trying to scribble down the info fast enough, then filling out individual index cards, money orders and #10 envelopes for every show, then worrying that you didn’t do it right and it would get rejected or the envelope wasn’t decorated interestingly enough to score some close seats.
- No cell phones, so trying to meet up with friends was hit or miss at best. Not to mention having to make all travel arrangements, including doing comparison shopping and reservations, via phone calls.
- Waiting weeks for a cassette tape of a show to get mailed, if you managed to find one, unless you happened to be with a taper, though that meant lugging lots of heavy analog equipment all over (I swear I still have dents in my shoulders from mic stands). Not to mention the size of the boom boxes and cassette carrying cases for listening to anything at all pre/post-show; no iPods or even Walkmans early on.
- No couch tour, no real-time (or even next day/week) set lists, no downloads
- Waiting 2 months for your special order Grateful Dead Movie VHS, and only after having to convince the video store owner that it was indeed a real movie, not obscene and yes, I really did want to pay then-big bucks for it.

The “old days” were great, I wouldn’t have missed it for the world, but there’s an awful lot of modern improvements that I’d hate to be without. Every era is a good era in its way!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, kfender, Muddy Das, ecojaded
Chester
More or less in line

#44705 3 years, 2 months ago
Well put Sun-Sue. But we were no less happy then. Lots of joy in those cassette tapes. Meeting up with friends seemed a liittle
more special, as it was harder to arrange. And when you finaly got your tickets, wasn't that the happiest moment ever? Ah, memories.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , SunshineSue
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds