• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Bob singing Jerry tunes

#44005 2 years, 9 months ago
Bob seems to talk a lot when he sing. I love Bobby when he sings his songs. John she sing black Peter and standing on the moon. Bobby kinda kills it for me
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bakes
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Bob singing Jerry tunes

#44016 2 years, 9 months ago
theres been so many threads about this, not that theres anything wrong with that.... a lot of people agree with you and a lot don't. Personally I love the way Bob sings and I hope he keeps it up, on any song he wants to sing! ---- sure JK would give a different take on many songs, and I wouldn't complain about it if he was. People want stuff to sound like the Grateful Dead to much, and Bob and Phil have said that isn't there goal.

Now I'm happy with anything they do but it would be cool if they switched it up every now and then letting different people do different songs but I love it the way it is. Instead of hoping or wanting Bob not to sing certain songs and not letting yourself enjoy it, you should just let it be and enjoy the music while you still can.... I realize that is hard for some of you and I mean all this in the nicest way possible, but I think it is great that Bob is singing as much as he is.
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#44029 2 years, 9 months ago
To compare is kinda pointless, This is Furthur, not GD. Jerry put his own unique signature on all of his songs, now others get their chance in their own unique way. Jerry would love this. I can olny assume he would be tickled pink his music lives on in such a high quality way.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#44037 2 years, 9 months ago
this could be a dangerous thread, as there are many different camps on this topic i'm sure. in general i'm not totally thrilled with the manner in which Bobby sings the Jerry songs, but i like very much that Bobby is Bobby no matter who's song it is that he's singing. i accept that Jerry can't sing them anymore, so somebody has to do it. "Black Peter" is the first song that immediately comes to mind that i really don't want to hear Bobby sing. i haven't heard the newly resurected "Mission n the Rain", so no opinion on that one yet.

as for Phil singing Jerry tunes, i like that a lot better. Phil's rendition of Franklins Tower, Bird Song and Eyes of the World i think are wonderful. there's not one Jerry tune that Phils sings that i don't like (at least nothing that comes to mind).
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#44044 2 years, 9 months ago
Taper, I was in broomsfield 2010 and heard Bobby sing black peter. It was kinda sad. Either he didn't rehearse or just couldn't get it. It was horrible. But I did still enjoy the music. Atleast he doesn't sing so many roads cause john does a great job
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#44193 2 years, 9 months ago
i think bob can sing whatever he wants to the songs will mean more to him than they ever will to JK or the backup singers...i really like his takes on days between and standing on the moon....do i want to hear him sing a bunch of jerry tunes all the time? no, in fact a lot of times i would prefer JK vox but like i first stated, he can really do what he wants

i really don't like his take on black peter either though, they played it tonight...it just sucks vocally
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#44196 2 years, 9 months ago
at first i was kinda against bob singing some of jerry's stuff because i never had the chance to see jerry(born in 91) and i loved how JK could make me feel like i was there but now i have come to love bob singing some of jerry's tunes especially standing on the moon, i loved the way he sang that the two times i saw it (St patty's day and at All Good)
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Listen To The Flower People

#44263 2 years, 9 months ago
23atwell wrote:
Taper, I was in broomsfield 2010 and heard Bobby sing black peter. It was kinda sad. Either he didn't rehearse or just couldn't get it. It was horrible. But I did still enjoy the music. Atleast he doesn't sing so many roads cause john does a great job

To each their own.

Was blown away by the BP by Ratdog at Chataqua in Boulder 2009.
nastero
Junior Boarder

#44267 2 years, 9 months ago
I honestly have grown to love Bobby's take on Black Peter. The version from last night was excellent and the bluesy take on the song really works well.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#44296 2 years, 9 months ago
FaceOnMars wrote:
23atwell wrote:

To each their own.

Was blown away by the BP by Ratdog at Chataqua in Boulder 2009.

I would concur with you on that. Good show. Are you still the only (ha, ha) one living there?
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by strangerinboulder.
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds