• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

Harshness at the mann

#43264 3 years, 3 months ago
Wow what a difference a yr makes. Last yr tanks in the middle of shakedown street every 10 ft.Every1 partying all day and rocking all night.As 1 who was there both nights and helped clean the lot the 2nd morning it s no wonder this yr was as bad as it was.Ya cant just stroll into town trash it and leave and expect open arms the next yr!Having said that i stood dumfounded standing there slackjawed as i watched 2 cops take a womans cooler she was dragging and vending from and give her a ticket on top of it.It was like watching a wreck or something it was horrible but i could nt look away.The cops are nt going anywhere and it s on us to put off a better image and leave less of a carbon footprint!As for the band I THANK YOU FOR A REAL GOOD TIME!!! Seems like everytime they harsh on us you deliver the real deal to us!!! Willing to bet if you tryed all day ya could nt have found any1 to bet ya they would encore with a zep tune!The women are smarter,quinn i mean come on just sick i tell ya.Thank you further for putting my head back on straight,and helping me to let my life proceed by it s own design.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Harshness at the mann

#43266 3 years, 3 months ago
the tanks were in full force where i was parked unfortunately...

honestly i am not knacking anyones style but we're there to see a band play music, end of story
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#43269 3 years, 3 months ago
Was gonna put in there kill the nitrous mafia but figured it would be hypocritical of me since i did a balloon on my first trip down shakedownLol.
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#43302 3 years, 3 months ago
Hmmm never even done nitrous b4. Surprisingly enough. lol.
justthegratefuldead
Fresh Boarder

#43303 3 years, 3 months ago
I want to start this post by relating something I saw yesterday on Shakedown because it's important. And before I go on, I want to tell everyone that I am a vendor. But what I'm telling you here is what I saw, and I'm going to tell you the sequence of events as they unfolded throughout the day.

Of all the things that happened yesterday, this one stands out in my mind. Because it was so uncalled for and unnecessary. One "vendor" that had all of her goods confiscated was a 58 year old lady that had one cooler stuffed with water bottles and sodas.

She has been a part of this community since the beginning. She doesn't get to go to events like this much because like many of us, she is having a hard time of it in this economy. So she decided to sell a few bottles of water and soda on a hot day and get gas money to go home after the show. Just being able to get to this event was something special for her. Something special because times are tough. Something and a condition that alot of us can relate to.

The result of her efforts had her standing on Shakedown Street in tears surrounded by two cop cars and a Philly License and Permit van. While surrounded, two L&P goons emptied the contents of her cooler and took all of her water and soda.

And this was a story that played itself out throughout the course of the day to and directed at many people. And before I say anything else, I have to say that if this whole effort was directed at the nitrous folks, then why was manpower directed at a 58 year old woman selling water bottles?

I have been selling merchandise on the web and occasionally at festivals for over a decade. I want to state that upfront. Because if you think I have a bias based on that, you need to know what I do for a living up front.

I was there yesterday, I was trying to sell yesterday, and I know how this unfolded yesterday. I don't know why it unfolded, but I do know the sequence of events.

I arrived at the Mann at around 10:00 yesterday morning. As soon as I arrived, I was asked if I was a vendor. It was obvious I was, and identified myself as a vendor. The Mann parking staff said great, and we'll help you park. I was told before entering the venue that I was welcome. I was guided to a spot, and when we had trouble putting up our canopy, the Mann staff actually assisted us. We were made to feel welcome as soon as we arrived. We would have left if we were not.

We immediately began to set up our goods. We sell predominately T Shirts. All of our goods come from established wholesalers that have been in this business for decades, and every item we sell is licensed through GDP or the Estate. All royalties paid. We have a business license, a Federal Tax ID, and none of what we were selling (clothing & apparel) is taxable in the State of Pennsylvania. It is all licensed merchandise. And on top of this, we were welcomed by the Mann staff when we arrived.

Immediately after arriving, and just as we were setting up, and member of the Mann staff came running up to us and told us that Philly licensing authorities had just arrived, and they were planning on confiscating merchandise if anyone attempted to sell anything. They arrived in force with the police. There were 4-6 L&P vans, and who knows how many police.

If you arrived early and walked Shakedown, what you saw were mostly canopies with empty tables and no one selling anything. As vendors, we received word that all of the L&P people would leave between 3:00 - 4:00. And this problem would go away. And sure enough they did. They literally convoyed out. So if you were on Shakedown around 3:30 or so, you would have seen everything up and running.

This didn't last long. They all came back after a half hour or so, and came back with a vengeance. This is when most of the confiscating took place- and for the most part this happened to vendors that couldn't pack away fast enough. That was the scene till about 7:30 when I left.

As a seller of Grateful Dead merchandise, I know that some people think I make a living off the band. And I do- you're right in that assessment. I'm blessed to be able to do that. I'm blessed to ba a part of this community. Yes, I make a living off the band. But the band also makes a living off of me. Everything that I sell means that 20% of that goes to GDP or the estate. And that's great. They deserve it and they gave us this rich legacy. The people that I buy from have been a part of this community from the beginning. Many are artists. Their contribution to this culture and community is vast, their charitable works in the community legion, and their ongoing efforts to keep the community moving forward are more than most will ever know.

There are two things that everyone needs to know. The first is that if you think vendors like me make a ton of money at events like the Mann you are wrong. For starters, we sell at prices at these events that are quite possibly the lowest you will find anywhere. We are lucky to cover our costs. I can't speak for all vendors, but I speak for many when I say we go to these events to be a part of the community we love, and to be with the people we serve. To be a part of this rich, diverse community. That's why I go. And frankly, it's a hell of alot easier to stay home or in the office and air-conditioning and run the website.

There is something else you need to know. Many wholesalers and retailers alike are hanging on by their fingernails. People who have been a part of this community for decades and due to this economy are getting ready to sink.

Some already have. Everyone here knows who Richard Biffle is. An accomplished artist and member of this community for decades. Richard sold his art, posters, and mouse pads through his company Misty Mountain press, which has folded in these tough times. And that is a loss to all of us. He made great stuff at fair prices and we are lesser now for his absence.

What happened yesterday was not a reflection of our community and our culture. It isn't who we are. I frankly don't care if I can never sell at another venue like the Mann. I'll still go and support this band to the end- I just won't sell at these venues. That's no big deal.

But one thing I do know. When a 58 year old and gray haired lady is stripped of her dignity for selling water with a heat index of 125 degrees, something is terribly wrong. This should not have happened. This isn't who we are, and it isn't where we want to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, FaceOnMars, DeadHead420, i_be_sublime, ScarlettStar
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#43309 3 years, 3 months ago
Politically speaking, Philly is a strange and corrupt city. It's also chronically broke. Probably someone in City Hall targeted the vendors and then everyone went around patting themselves on the back thinking they were taking action. Everyone who mentioned that the nitrous dealers had complete freedom is correct, considering all the tanks I saw.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#43368 3 years, 3 months ago
Checking is one thing, coming back is another.

Somewhere, someone must have pissed off the police around there, or I doubt they would have singled this event out. The venue people were as surprised as the vendors.

The shed venue here, Verizon amphitheater, is known for being kind of harsh, but nothing like what I've heard from the Mann. We had shows with less people come because of it. Low volume from the bands, and jerk cops.

About all you can do now is scratch this venue off your list. To bad it had to be too late.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

#43392 3 years, 3 months ago
It was very odd for vending. Hated to see that even though the vendors were shut down nitrous was in full force. Great show though. I feel bad for the vendors but I had a great time. Usually the police are really laid back in Philly.
mountainjam28
Junior Boarder
Enjoying the ride...

#43397 3 years, 3 months ago
show was great but I also loved getting to 2nd base with the security personnel at the gate. an added bonus ... or not.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#43401 3 years, 3 months ago
Well, that's putting the best possible spin on it.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds