• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
kfender
Gold Boarder

Re: Mission in the Rain!!!

#42901 3 years, 2 months ago
Different being the key word there Ed.Some Jerry songs should never be rearranged os sung in a different lilt as it were.Mission in the Rain is absolutely one of them.Come to think of it most slower Jerry tunes deserve to be sung as close to the way he sang them as possible.Like the Black Peter and Standing on the Moon etc,etc...
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#42903 3 years, 2 months ago
I really do respect their right as musicians to reinterpret the music as they see fit and to keep it fresh for themselves, and for us too, for that matter. But if they could just stay true to Terrapin, Comes a Time and Mission, I'd be much happier. They can update anything else, but just keep those three the way I always hear them in my head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OtherOne
nastero
Junior Boarder

#42941 3 years, 2 months ago
I'm going to throw something out there that I used to hear on "American Idol" back when I watched it for a season or two.

Almost every time someone tried to re-interpret a classic song with a classic melody the judges would say "You know, it was a nice effort, but sometimes you don't need to make it your own. Sometimes you can just stick with the melody that works."

I posted something similar to that on the partial of the breakout on YouTube.

I actually like what Bob has done with songs like Sugaree (to some degree) and Black Peter, but sometimes you just don't need to mess with a melody and this is definitely one of those times. I mean Jeff and Sunshine are singing the refrain in the melody and Bobby is bringing it to a screeching halt (at least to my ears) each time he stutters and chops his delivery of it. I think that they picked up a little steam at the end and got on the same page, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if they let JK take this one every now and again (especially, say, at CMAC this Tuesday ).
The following user(s) said Thank You: kfender
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#43481 3 years, 2 months ago
I always liked the way Bob sings. People that want it to sound just like the Grateful Dead gotta realize its not Bob and Phils goal..... I know most people are happy they played it anyway but instead of wishing for JK to sing it just enjoy it while you can, Bobby likes singing it for whatever reason, he did with Ratdog a lot as well.

As far as I'm concerned, Bob can sing Anything - I love his vocal delivery.... and whats this about Comes A Time should be done differently (?) ---- if that comment was reefering to Bethel then I don't even know what to say, JK nailed it and was the highlight of the night....
The following user(s) said Thank You: edheadwharfrat
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds