• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42272 3 years, 1 month ago
My vote goes for everything is working....

didn't read the whole thread since I'm trying to avoid reading what was played at All Good
The following user(s) said Thank You: GratefulDeadhead
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#42284 3 years, 1 month ago
Chris1126 wrote:
OtherOne wrote:
intothesun wrote:
OtherOne wrote:
with almost 2 years under their belts Furthur has improved greatly in many areas. Still for me some stuff is working much more than others. What is/isn't working for you? For me:

Working:

Stephen/Eleven
Mountain Song/Colors of the Rain (great new tunes, love them)
Jack Straw
Scarlet > Fire
Unbroken Chain
Morning Dew
Golden Road
Eyes
WRS>Let it Grow
King Solomons (why aren't they playing this anymore?)
Throwing Stones
The Wheel (they've really gotten better on this one!)
Help > Slipnot
Althea
Sailor>Saint
Black Throated
Cumberland

Not working:

Franklins (no real hop to the song and the vocals are just bad)
Standing On the Moon
Black Peter
Dark Star (played to often and often meanders and not in the good way)
Brokedown (Bob on vocals just doesn't work with these Jerry tunes imo)
Built to Last
Terrapin Station (they nail almost the whole tune and I love the suite but Bob just destroys the inspiration verse)
Alligator (JK just sounds weak on this)
Just a Little Light (glad they dropped this one, weak vocal delivery)
Estimated/Music Never Stoppe, sooooo slow)

All in all I love this fucking band and the positives far outweigh the negatives. Would love to hear JK louder in the mix and steer the band more than follow. Cant wait for Eugene and Monterey in the fall!

the good outweigh the badd....uh thats a long list of songs that arent working and franklins tower is the same 3 chord progression the ENTIRE song. And jk isnt gonna take the lead as you wish, he's good dont get me wrong, he doesnt have balls anywhere close to how Jerry had stage presence. He seems like a very shy man. You should just enjoy phil taking the lead.

I don't want John to be Jerry, but I've heard him sing Franklins many times and its much better than Phil. I enjoy phil plenty, just not on that particular song

but its Phils band. and Ive heard alot that John isnt cutting as loose as he used to...maybe the leash is on too tight?

i said the same thing. I love John K to death but from videos from 09, say Oakland Scarlet 2009 video on YouTube he is dancing and having a really great time. He is more mellow now, I think the reality is that coming from DSO he was doing more of a Jerry impersonation and now Furthur has pushed him to really widdle away at being John K then Jerry G. Personally I rather see his own style more then merely being a copycat.

As far as the comment on Phils band Its just as much Bobby too! Heck I really don't like to say much bad things about the band were just lucky in general to still have this going on so far that I'm thankful!
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#42330 3 years, 1 month ago
Working: Nearly all

Not Working: Franklins...I have yet to see a good post Jerry version....he just owned that one..hard to believe but I've heard good Morning Dews..even good Stella Blues... but franklins (although massively overplayed) just can't seem to get there without Jerry. His solos and vocals make that song.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
terrapin_blue
Junior Boarder

#42350 3 years, 1 month ago
This is interesting. Furthur's Estimated Prophet is incredible in my opinion. The slow adds to the crazy.

Also, love Terrapin a lot, agree that bob destroys the inspiration verse though. John singing THAT VERSE is what made it click the first time for me (DSO show).

Also, I completely love Alligator (listen to 3/6/10 for a LOT of energy). Also dark star has had misses, but QUITE a few outstanding ones in my opinon. The others I have only seen once (or not at all) but love like...Standing on the moon and black peter.

For don't work...
I think that CC Rider has odd backup vocals.
Haven't been to impressed with 1 or 2 sugar mags, but think they fucking ROCK the sunshine daydream.

There aren't too many I can't love. I have seen a franklins that really got me goin', but hey it's all opinions.
mirabelasunshine
Junior Boarder

#42386 3 years, 1 month ago
Working:

Caution

I'm so surprised to find myself thinking this, since I've never been too into Bob's take on Pigpen raves, but last night had this tent-revival-gospel-frenzy-with-a-tambourine aspect to it that I just loved. If my kid hadn't picked that moment to need to go to the bathroom I'd have been shouting glory, dancing in the aisle with a fan. It was killer in every way.
GratefulDeadhead
Junior Boarder

#42429 3 years, 1 month ago
i have to disagree, i think, seems like you dont like the longer songs.

Terrapin: bobbys a lil off on inspiration but i wouldnt go so far to say it doesnt work

Dark Star: although i think they havent done that many good versions i wouldnt say its played to much, though you cant expect em to be perfect all the time, i think (for me anyways) the major bummer bout a lot of them is they split the verses and i hate that, its ok if its separated by 1 song (occasionally) but often this isnt the case, its much better left together, and there arent that many of those. Im ALWAYS lookin forward to the next dark star, and ALWAYS hope i get one when im on tour, if im on longer than a couple shows i hope to get a couple!! NYE 09, Broomfield '11 and Atlanta '11 stand out for me one that is split that i like is the first dark star from oakland '09

just a little light: at GOTV was pretty sweet in my opinion, they only played it 3 times so i dont see how you can be that critical.

standing on the moon i love i like bobbys vocals

Estimated: listen to that NYE '10 that version kicks (IMHO)

Dont:

i agree with franklins i think thats a song they should all sing together like on st stephen,

birdsong should be a JK song

im sooo GLAD muli guli got dropped

candyman

easy wind (jk doesnt work for this)

no more do i (jk needs work on this, love this song but he doesnt seem comfortable singing it)

tom thumbs (there are so many better dylan songs that work work for this groups vocals, though i realise phil loves it so i;ll have to suffer through this

shakedown street (havent felt anything new coming from this, i dunno i love hearing it live, but on recordings its stale)

songs to add to the work list

any road - i think this is the best cover song they have added to their list, GOOD stuff, jk does a killer job on this!

really agree with your work list, i think this band works! love em, always cant wait for the next version of a song,

cant wait to hear more from Welcome To The Dance, thats a fun tune that needs to be played more

just way to many songs to list

new potato, cryptical!!!

so many roads

comes a time

ashes and glass

unbroken chain

etc etc etc
GratefulDeadhead
Junior Boarder

#42433 3 years, 1 month ago
ddsstyle wrote:
I have been a little disappointed with just about every version of Music Never Stopped (one of my all time favorites) and Dancing in the Streets I have heard them do. Played too slow for my taste. Im loving all their versions of Jack Straw!! And i agree with you they should bust out King Solomon's Marbles more and keep the Dark Stars a little shorter and a little more rhythmic. Less trailing off in the minutes after 15. No complaints at all in reality though! We are lucky!

dude Dark Star is a long tune, its supposed to be long, and there have only been 9 dark stars over 15 min, not that many.

any dark star over 15min is a GOOD THING, but i agree, some of them just dont feel like they arent goin anywhere, but 09 they went over 15 and they definitely had something goin through that whole tune, i think they need to put more work into it, but i would NEVER say they should drop it or play it less.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#45016 3 years, 1 month ago
Franklins, standing on the moon, and black peter most disappointing but can be fixed if the hand overvthe vocals to who should go to. John. But I lover em
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
23atwell
Platinum Boarder

#45018 3 years, 1 month ago
OtherOne wrote:
Smiley from Texas wrote:
OtherOne wrote:
Smiley from Texas wrote:
You guys are trippin... all the songs on that list are badass.. franklins, standing... comeon now really guys?

Just a little light is the only brent tune they have ever shown love to other than mr fantasy. I want more brent songs. He was a huge part of the dead and there sound. more brent songs !

I love all 3 of those tunes. Hell Franklins is a top 10 GD tune for me, same with Standing. The renditions and vocals by Furthur are just not good on any of those songs imo and I'd rather them change it up or drop them altogether

bobby pours out his soul during every standing on the moon ive ever seen him do.

I don't doubt that, but it still sounds horrible. I appreciate that Furthur isn't trying to be a GD cover band and they do things differently...But after seeing this www.archive.org/details/gd93-08-21.sbd.n...ki.15035.sbeok.shnf, I just can't stomach Bob on that tune. We can agree to disagree

They are a gd cover band pretty much and they are trying to be like gd in mostvwaysbthatsvwhy we looove it so much. I love what there doing
23atwell
Platinum Boarder

#45020 3 years, 1 month ago
GratefulDeadhead wrote:
i have to disagree, i think, seems like you dont like the longer songs.

Terrapin: bobbys a lil off on inspiration but i wouldnt go so far to say it doesnt work

Dark Star: although i think they havent done that many good versions i wouldnt say its played to much, though you cant expect em to be perfect all the time, i think (for me anyways) the major bummer bout a lot of them is they split the verses and i hate that, its ok if its separated by 1 song (occasionally) but often this isnt the case, its much better left together, and there arent that many of those. Im ALWAYS lookin forward to the next dark star, and ALWAYS hope i get one when im on tour, if im on longer than a couple shows i hope to get a couple!! NYE 09, Broomfield '11 and Atlanta '11 stand out for me one that is split that i like is the first dark star from oakland '09

just a little light: at GOTV was pretty sweet in my opinion, they only played it 3 times so i dont see how you can be that critical.

standing on the moon i love i like bobbys vocals

Try shakedown in broomsfield 2010. I loved it
Q0

Estimated: listen to that NYE '10 that version kicks (IMHO)

Dont:

i agree with franklins i think thats a song they should all sing together like on st stephen,

birdsong should be a JK song

im sooo GLAD muli guli got dropped

candyman

easy wind (jk doesnt work for this)

no more do i (jk needs work on this, love this song but he doesnt seem comfortable singing it)

tom thumbs (there are so many better dylan songs that work work for this groups vocals, though i realise phil loves it so i;ll have to suffer through this

shakedown street (havent felt anything new coming from this, i dunno i love hearing it live, but on recordings its stale)

songs to add to the work list

any road - i think this is the best cover song they have added to their list, GOOD stuff, jk does a killer job on this!

really agree with your work list, i think this band works! love em, always cant wait for the next version of a song,

cant wait to hear more from Welcome To The Dance, thats a fun tune that needs to be played more

just way to many songs to list

new potato, cryptical!!!

so many roads

comes a time

ashes and glass

unbroken chain

etc etc etc
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds