• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42101 3 years, 2 months ago
Hurricane...thank god they don't do that one anymore. I wish they would do more Dylan though.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#42102 3 years, 2 months ago
Smiley from Texas wrote:
OtherOne wrote:
Smiley from Texas wrote:
You guys are trippin... all the songs on that list are badass.. franklins, standing... comeon now really guys?

Just a little light is the only brent tune they have ever shown love to other than mr fantasy. I want more brent songs. He was a huge part of the dead and there sound. more brent songs !

I love all 3 of those tunes. Hell Franklins is a top 10 GD tune for me, same with Standing. The renditions and vocals by Furthur are just not good on any of those songs imo and I'd rather them change it up or drop them altogether

bobby pours out his soul during every standing on the moon ive ever seen him do.

I don't doubt that, but it still sounds horrible. I appreciate that Furthur isn't trying to be a GD cover band and they do things differently...But after seeing this www.archive.org/details/gd93-08-21.sbd.n...ki.15035.sbeok.shnf, I just can't stomach Bob on that tune. We can agree to disagree
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#42103 3 years, 2 months ago
OtherOne wrote:
Smiley from Texas wrote:
You guys are trippin... all the songs on that list are badass.. franklins, standing... comeon now really guys?

Just a little light is the only brent tune they have ever shown love to other than mr fantasy. I want more brent songs. He was a huge part of the dead and there sound. more brent songs !

I love all 3 of those tunes. Hell Franklins is a top 10 GD tune for me, same with Standing. The renditions and vocals by Furthur are just not good on any of those songs imo and I'd rather them change it up or drop them altogether

Ouch. You should check out the Dark Star from 7/17 last Sunday. It was rockin and has that "2012" sound. They taking it Furthur!!! love this band!
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#42120 3 years, 2 months ago
I agree mostly with the OP.

I like the Mountain Song > I Know You Rider combo. That works for me. I also like the Furthur version of Shakedown Street. They rock that schit.

The Franklin's and Eyes aren't as good as days past but I think they were better at Shoreline. Phil was inflecting slightly different those shows and it was more palatable. The Eyes was musically jamming on 6/4 I thought.

Like was mentioned. The Music Never Stopped is problematic tempo wise.

I want to see more combinatorial work like the PUMUP we saw at Shoreline. That was tight. I like when they string it all together.
All You Need
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#42122 3 years, 2 months ago
Irrenarzt wrote:
I agree mostly with the OP.

I like the Mountain Song > I Know You Rider combo. That works for me. I also like the Furthur version of Shakedown Street. They rock that schit.

The Franklin's and Eyes aren't as good as days past but I think they were better at Shoreline. Phil was inflecting slightly different those shows and it was more palatable. The Eyes was musically jamming on 6/4 I thought.

Like was mentioned. The Music Never Stopped is problematic tempo wise.

I want to see more combinatorial work like the PUMUP we saw at Shoreline. That was tight. I like when they string it all together.

Agreed on the Eyes at Shoreline, AMAZING!! Loved the PUMUP combine as well!!
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#42126 3 years, 2 months ago
I think scarlet and fire have been working best apart. listen to 2/19/10, 2/27/10 and 3/6/10 for proof darkstar can work.
intothesun
Visitor

#42136 3 years, 2 months ago
OtherOne wrote:
with almost 2 years under their belts Furthur has improved greatly in many areas. Still for me some stuff is working much more than others. What is/isn't working for you? For me:

Working:

Stephen/Eleven
Mountain Song/Colors of the Rain (great new tunes, love them)
Jack Straw
Scarlet > Fire
Unbroken Chain
Morning Dew
Golden Road
Eyes
WRS>Let it Grow
King Solomons (why aren't they playing this anymore?)
Throwing Stones
The Wheel (they've really gotten better on this one!)
Help > Slipnot
Althea
Sailor>Saint
Black Throated
Cumberland

Not working:

Franklins (no real hop to the song and the vocals are just bad)
Standing On the Moon
Black Peter
Dark Star (played to often and often meanders and not in the good way)
Brokedown (Bob on vocals just doesn't work with these Jerry tunes imo)
Built to Last
Terrapin Station (they nail almost the whole tune and I love the suite but Bob just destroys the inspiration verse)
Alligator (JK just sounds weak on this)
Just a Little Light (glad they dropped this one, weak vocal delivery)
Estimated/Music Never Stoppe, sooooo slow)

All in all I love this fucking band and the positives far outweigh the negatives. Would love to hear JK louder in the mix and steer the band more than follow. Cant wait for Eugene and Monterey in the fall!

the good outweigh the badd....uh thats a long list of songs that arent working and franklins tower is the same 3 chord progression the ENTIRE song. And jk isnt gonna take the lead as you wish, he's good dont get me wrong, he doesnt have balls anywhere close to how Jerry had stage presence. He seems like a very shy man. You should just enjoy phil taking the lead.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#42159 3 years, 2 months ago
intothesun wrote:
OtherOne wrote:
with almost 2 years under their belts Furthur has improved greatly in many areas. Still for me some stuff is working much more than others. What is/isn't working for you? For me:

Working:

Stephen/Eleven
Jack Straw
Scarlet > Fire
Unbroken Chain
Morning Dew
Golden Road
Eyes
WRS>Let it Grow
Throwing Stones
Help > Slipnot
Althea
Sailor>Saint
Black Throated
Cumberland

Not working:

Standing On the Moon
Black Peter
Built to Last
Terrapin Station (they nail almost the whole tune and I love the suite but Bob just destroys the inspiration verse)

All in all I love this fucking band and the positives far outweigh the negatives. Would love to hear JK louder in the mix and steer the band more than follow. Cant wait for Eugene and Monterey in the fall!

the good outweigh the badd....uh thats a long list of songs that arent working and franklins tower is the same 3 chord progression the ENTIRE song. And jk isnt gonna take the lead as you wish, he's good dont get me wrong, he doesnt have balls anywhere close to how Jerry had stage presence. He seems like a very shy man. You should just enjoy phil taking the lead.

I don't want John to be Jerry, but I've heard him sing Franklins many times and its much better than Phil. I enjoy phil plenty, just not on that particular song
Chris1126
Junior Boarder

#42201 3 years, 2 months ago
OtherOne wrote:
intothesun wrote:
OtherOne wrote:

Working:

Stephen/Eleven
Jack Straw
Scarlet > Fire
Unbroken Chain
Morning Dew
Golden Road
Eyes
WRS>Let it Grow
Throwing Stones
Help > Slipnot
Althea
Sailor>Saint
Black Throated
Cumberland

Not working:

Standing On the Moon
Black Peter
Built to Last

I don't want John to be Jerry, but I've heard him sing Franklins many times and its much better than Phil. I enjoy phil plenty, just not on that particular song

but its Phils band. and Ive heard alot that John isnt cutting as loose as he used to...maybe the leash is on too tight?
"Talking a lot about less and less;
And forgetting the love we bring."
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#42231 3 years, 2 months ago
I don't know that there's a leash on JK, I think it's more that this is still a work in progress. He can cut loose full throttle -- check out that Slipknot! from the Tower in March. But I think these guys are still figuring out just how they want to sound. Do they want to channel the Dead or do they want to build something more personal? Some of what I've heard from Furthur doesn't sound anything like the Dead and those are some of the moments I find most thrilling.

I'd also like to hear more Brent tunes.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by Equinox.
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds