• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder
Posts:228

Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42077 2 years, 9 months ago
with almost 2 years under their belts Furthur has improved greatly in many areas. Still for me some stuff is working much more than others. What is/isn't working for you? For me:

Working:

Stephen/Eleven
Mountain Song/Colors of the Rain (great new tunes, love them)
Jack Straw
Scarlet > Fire
Unbroken Chain
Morning Dew
Golden Road
Eyes
WRS>Let it Grow
King Solomons (why aren't they playing this anymore?)
Throwing Stones
The Wheel (they've really gotten better on this one!)
Help > Slipnot
Althea
Sailor>Saint
Black Throated
Cumberland

Not working:

Franklins (no real hop to the song and the vocals are just bad)
Standing On the Moon
Black Peter
Dark Star (played to often and often meanders and not in the good way)
Brokedown (Bob on vocals just doesn't work with these Jerry tunes imo)
Built to Last
Terrapin Station (they nail almost the whole tune and I love the suite but Bob just destroys the inspiration verse)
Alligator (JK just sounds weak on this)
Just a Little Light (glad they dropped this one, weak vocal delivery)
Estimated/Music Never Stoppe, sooooo slow)

All in all I love this fucking band and the positives far outweigh the negatives. Would love to hear JK louder in the mix and steer the band more than follow. Cant wait for Eugene and Monterey in the fall!
ddsstyle
Visitor

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42078 2 years, 9 months ago
I have been a little disappointed with just about every version of Music Never Stopped (one of my all time favorites) and Dancing in the Streets I have heard them do. Played too slow for my taste. Im loving all their versions of Jack Straw!! And i agree with you they should bust out King Solomon's Marbles more and keep the Dark Stars a little shorter and a little more rhythmic. Less trailing off in the minutes after 15. No complaints at all in reality though! We are lucky!
OtherOne
Junior Boarder
Posts:228

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42082 2 years, 9 months ago
ddsstyle wrote:
I have been a little disappointed with just about every version of Music Never Stopped (one of my all time favorites) and Dancing in the Streets I have heard them do. Played too slow for my taste. Im loving all their versions of Jack Straw!! And i agree with you they should bust out King Solomon's Marbles more and keep the Dark Stars a little shorter and a little more rhythmic. Less trailing off in the minutes after 15. No complaints at all in reality though! We are lucky!


Agreed on all points! And to be clear, not complaining just discussion of the music Furthur is my favorite post Jerry band I've seen yet and I've been able to catch about 15 out here on the west coast. Totally surreal experience to be seeing this music played at such a high level, 16years after Jer died.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1253

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42084 2 years, 9 months ago
Wow other one. I really think you hit the nail on the head. I've been loving the help-> Slipknot, and the other night at bethel was sweet when they went into the eleven after
The key to a smokin tune is Jeff on the keys. He nails it during jack straw and eyes and other tunes too.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
ddsstyle
Visitor

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42085 2 years, 9 months ago
jaredlang wrote:
Wow other one. I really think you hit the nail on the head. I've been loving the help-> Slipknot, and the other night at bethel was sweet when they went into the eleven after
The key to a smokin tune is Jeff on the keys. He nails it during jack straw and eyes and other tunes too.



hell yes jeff can tickle the shit out of that ivory!!!
OtherOne
Junior Boarder
Posts:228

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42086 2 years, 9 months ago
ddsstyle wrote:
jaredlang wrote:
Wow other one. I really think you hit the nail on the head. I've been loving the help-> Slipknot, and the other night at bethel was sweet when they went into the eleven after
The key to a smokin tune is Jeff on the keys. He nails it during jack straw and eyes and other tunes too.



hell yes jeff can tickle the shit out of that ivory!!!


Yeah, Jeff is insane...
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Posts:29114
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42090 2 years, 9 months ago
I really, really love that they're doing all of Terrrapin Suite. And, as much as I adore him, if they could get Bobby out of the "inspiration" verse, it would be perfect. I'm sorry, but it's just plain painful having him come in at that important, majestic point!
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder
Posts:326

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42094 2 years, 9 months ago
You guys are trippin... all the songs on that list are badass.. franklins, standing... comeon now really guys?

Just a little light is the only brent tune they have ever shown love to other than mr fantasy. I want more brent songs. He was a huge part of the dead and there sound. more brent songs !

You guys gotta love listening to a 80's jack straw and hearing Brent and Bobby and jerry yelling Jack straw from wichita cut his buddy down! all at the same time

youtu.be/9nKEyaldStA comeon bobby hahahaha
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Smiley from Texas.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder
Posts:228

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42097 2 years, 9 months ago
Smiley from Texas wrote:
You guys are trippin... all the songs on that list are badass.. franklins, standing... comeon now really guys?

Just a little light is the only brent tune they have ever shown love to other than mr fantasy. I want more brent songs. He was a huge part of the dead and there sound. more brent songs !


I love all 3 of those tunes. Hell Franklins is a top 10 GD tune for me, same with Standing. The renditions and vocals by Furthur are just not good on any of those songs imo and I'd rather them change it up or drop them altogether
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder
Posts:326

Re: Furthur songs that work/don't work

#42098 2 years, 9 months ago
OtherOne wrote:
Smiley from Texas wrote:
You guys are trippin... all the songs on that list are badass.. franklins, standing... comeon now really guys?

Just a little light is the only brent tune they have ever shown love to other than mr fantasy. I want more brent songs. He was a huge part of the dead and there sound. more brent songs !


I love all 3 of those tunes. Hell Franklins is a top 10 GD tune for me, same with Standing. The renditions and vocals by Furthur are just not good on any of those songs imo and I'd rather them change it up or drop them altogether


bobby pours out his soul during every standing on the moon ive ever seen him do.
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds