• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

Dark Star Crashes

#40548 3 years, 3 months ago
7-13-84
The Grateful Dead left the stage after another great show at the Greek Theatre. We all clapped, whistled and screamed, then waited for them to return for the encore.

A giant screen was lowered in back of the stage and eerie outer space images were shown on the screen. Later, we found out these were photos that had just been taken of Mars (courtesy of NASA) that Phil and the band was fired up about.
During these few minutes a shooting star filled the sky and everyone who saw it said something like "Whoa!". I had attended every GD show there since they returned to the Greek in the 80's and never saw a shooting star and this screen came out of nowhere, the images causing quite a commotion amongst the tribe.

Phil stepped up the the mic and said something like "We're going to try something special just for tonight. one shot only"..
Then they played THAT opening riff and we were off into space..

www.archive.org/details/gd84-07-13.sbd.ferguson.353.sbeok.shnf
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, PMoondancer
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Dark Star Crashes

#40550 3 years, 3 months ago
sounds like quite a night! being in attendance was obviously special
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#40552 3 years, 3 months ago
What a great description of an historic night. But I can't believe that the shooting star actually happened! A dear friend has been telling that story for years, considers it his finest GD moment, and I've always rolled my eyes at the shooting star part, figuring it was just a happy hallucination. Guess I owe him an apology!
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#40554 3 years, 3 months ago
It definitely happened.
The friend who I rode to the show with bent down to tie his shoelaces at that exact moment, heard the crowd say "wow" and came up asking what he had missed..we all said "uh, nothing, look at those spacey shots on that screen!"

During the Scarlet jam I was dancing up on the hill and this wild eyed lady all decked out in scarves, tie dye, bells, etc. says to me, during a quiet part "they're going to play Dark Star tonight!". I said "sure thing" thinking it was a joke, there was no way this would happen. Lesson: Listen to what the flower people say.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by sjfgreenman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, ecojaded, SunshineSue
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#40560 3 years, 3 months ago
7-13-84 Dark Star

10-20-68 Greek Theatre Dark Star
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox, PMoondancer , stricken
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#40562 3 years, 3 months ago
I have this show on CD
Well worth the DL !!
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#40630 3 years, 3 months ago
sjfgreenman wrote:

During the Scarlet jam I was dancing up on the hill and this wild eyed lady all decked out in scarves, tie dye, bells, etc. says to me, during a quiet part "they're going to play Dark Star tonight!". I said "sure thing" thinking it was a joke, there was no way this would happen. Lesson: Listen to what the flower people say.

pretty wild i once came to that same conclusion....maybe she knew from the mind, maybe she was somehow tipped off, maybe it was rumored on tour, or there is always the chance she had been saying it since the NYE 81 show
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Chester
More or less in line

#40633 3 years, 3 months ago
And they didn't play it again for over 5 years. I also have this show. It is a must have for all Dead Heads. Here's the link.
bt.etree.org/details.php?id=520742 Only two seeders, but be patient. It's worth it. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#40713 3 years, 3 months ago
The show is definitely worth a listen and a download...but the 7-15 show is the gem that I listen to most often with the 1st set Dancin in the Streets>Bird Song opener, 2nd set Why Don't We Do it in the Road? (or was it on the drums?) opener...they were on fire all afternoon long the 3rd show

"maybe she knew from the mind, maybe she was somehow tipped off, maybe it was rumored on tour, or there is always the chance she had been saying it since the NYE 81 show"

Ha, that was my thought that moment, been saying that since '81..
Alll the backseat drivers emerged AFTER the show of course, saying everyone knew...BS...this was before the internet and there was a small circle of insiders..I knew some and thank gawd i didn't see any of them that day and received a sweet surprise, minus the lady with the wild eyes..she came across as a Gypsy fortune teller having a vision that fit her mood. But she was tipped off, no doubt.

I always tried to avoid the "hey, guess what the band practiced?" stories, didn't need to know, didn't want to know.

The '81 DS was more fun for me, being that it was late into the night, early in the morning and the beginning of a 3rd set..that room was MOVING for that one
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by sjfgreenman.
intothesun
Visitor

#40715 3 years, 3 months ago
I was just admiring the full moon outside and the much needed cool balmy breeze . And now hearin a good show from 84...essau bobby/brent era in thier prime....on a full moon evening. good cc rider "whoa"..LoL
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds