• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

COMPUTER HELP PLEASE

#40040 3 years, 3 months ago
Hello please help I'm at wits end here. I've been ripping all my Furthur shows from the last few tours onto my laptop. I am using Windows media player so as to have lossless versions. Everything goes fine and I'll put on a large number of shows and then without warning or explanation my computer moves files that I have organized and labeled into a folder of "unknown artists" and relabels all the shows and songs. The worst part is it takes random songs from seemingly random shows. I just want a nice organized folder of sbd's from the tours I've been on and my computer keeps fucking me over!!! Help me please !!! This is too much for my computer illiterate brain, I remember when computers used to actually do what you wanted them too, now they programmed them to do what they think is best for me and it fucking sucks.

Thanks for the help,
Frustrated Audiophile
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

Re: COMPUTER HELP PLEASE

#40045 3 years, 3 months ago
Hey ,
You should check out your Library Options and see what's there try the"more options " feature There should be a box to click where it stops remnaming files
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#40047 3 years, 3 months ago
i think the fact that you have them in unkown artist file is whats doing it ,its tryingto be helpful.just label them furthur and it should help
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by 83msg1sttyme.
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Listen To The Flower People

#40050 3 years, 3 months ago
Avoid applications which require the use of such libraries (iTunes is a big culprit too) ... be you're own librarian.
Dead in the Head
Fresh Boarder

#40061 3 years, 3 months ago
Windows is horrible for properly storing stuff like that. Personally I wouldn't use WMP either, as VLC will play anything audio or video and in almost any format.

There might be, as someone else mentioned, a Windows setting screwing with your files. Have you actually named any of the files yourself, or are you just importing them into windows?

If you could give a little more specifics into what you're actually doing it would be much easier to troubleshoot. I'm studying Computer Science currently and have also been an IT consultant for 5 years so hopefully I might be able to help you a little more
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#40070 3 years, 3 months ago
I am importing them through windows media player, im just ripping them to files that i create on the desktop with the appropriate show information prior to ripping the cd. once the 3 discs have been ripped into the computer i rename any missing track files by listening through the unnamed files and appropriately change the file names. however start repeating the process with another show the previously ripped and labeled files will be removed from the folders i put them in and relabeled with only Track 1 unknown artist....Track 4 unknown artist etc. This is even after I have turned my computer off for the night and come back to it the following morning. The oddest thing about it is that the dates on the moved files are all screwy as they are labeled with much older dates than the current date for any changes made.

Thanks for the help so far everybody!
drumspace
Fresh Boarder

#40320 3 years, 3 months ago
Suggestion: DON'T USE WINDOZE MEDIA PLAYER

use VLC media player instead...much better for all types of files.

www.videolan.org/

Good luck!
Oh, what I want to know is are you kind?
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds