• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: PEOPLE WHO PASS YOU BY AND DON"T SAY HELLO.

#39527 3 years, 3 months ago
I was in line at Bed, Bath and Beyond last Christmas, had an extra 20% off coupon after checking out and turned and offered it to the guy behind me in line, who immediately looked absolutely horrified and just put up his hand and shook his head. It was like I’d threatened to kick him or something! So it made sense to me when I read a study recently that found the recipients of a random act of kindness often reacted negatively or became stressed by the gesture. A sad statement on our society indeed. What happened to “if you smile at me I will understand”?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, FaceOnMars, DeadHead420
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

#39530 3 years, 3 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
I was in line at Bed, Bath and Beyond last Christmas, had an extra 20% off coupon after checking out and turned and offered it to the guy behind me in line, who immediately looked absolutely horrified and just put up his hand and shook his head. It was like I’d threatened to kick him or something! So it made sense to me when I read a study recently that found the recipients of a random act of kindness often reacted negatively or became stressed by the gesture. A sad statement on our society indeed. What happened to “if you smile at me I will understand”?

maybe because you were giving him something for nothing, that might of thrown him off as well. but, he could of said no thank you.

todd robbins, a performer of circus sideshows said it best, "be sincere, even if you don't mean it".
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#39536 3 years, 3 months ago
you do know those bed bath & beyond coupons never go bad, right?

we got a whole stack of them, some many years old. They do have an experation date on them but it actually dosn't mean anything, a lot of people don't know this....

anyway on subject, I was never one to talk to strangers at shows or even dance or anything. It was a different story once I got into this scene....
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#39539 3 years, 3 months ago
I wanna open a smoke shop in cali called "Bongs Bowls & Beyond" lol =-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

#39542 3 years, 3 months ago
DeadHead420 wrote:

where do you stay in cali btw bro?

Have you ever been to Haight street? that place is literally full of shops its pretty dope. Its the closest thing to a modern shakedown as you can get that i have noticed. well the products anyway : )
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#39549 3 years, 3 months ago
Smiley from Texas wrote:
DeadHead420 wrote:

where do you stay in cali btw bro?

Have you ever been to Haight street? that place is literally full of shops its pretty dope. Its the closest thing to a modern shakedown as you can get that i have noticed. well the products anyway : )

hehehe, jus wrote like a couple paragraphs b4 i realized i was ramblin tellin whole life story. DELETE. haha lmao. Been here n there. At the moment couch hoppin round the LA area. Long beach, hawthorne, torrance, etc. Annnnd soooon enough to add oregon,montana,colorado,utah,vegas,etc to places i have "lived" lol =-) Oooooooooieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

P.S. Surprisingly nevr been to haight. =-( hehe
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Listen To The Flower People

#39560 3 years, 3 months ago
Well, maybe they're all afraid of a "stop and chat".

I live in a tiny tiny town & everyone waves in their cars to one another on the 2-3 mile dirt road off which leads in and out to the main highway. In the next biggest town of 2,500 people actually do say hello or at least acknowledge one another. By contrast, the absence thereof is one of the first things I notice when I visit a larger city. I think it might have something to do with a combination of stimulation overload (simply too many people) and being able to dart in and out of the population anonymously & be comfortable doing so.

It's almost like the more people there are in a location, the more like objects they become in "everyday life". A show seems to be the exception to this, but then again, not everyone is walking around in the same state of mind in every day life.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by FaceOnMars.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#39593 3 years, 3 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:

As I remember you threw that coupon at me and said, "Merry Christmas, you dirty cheese eater!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#39599 3 years, 3 months ago
captaintony wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:

As I remember you threw that coupon at me and said, "Merry Christmas, you dirty cheese eater!"

Yeah! And then I was so ticked off, I went out the door and tipped over the Salvation Army guy's bucket. See- these negative interactions just ripple out and affect the whole universe!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: captaintony
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#39601 3 years, 3 months ago
thats was you ,took me all day to get the freaking change out of the sewer .dammit
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds