sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

Jerry: "of PT Barnum and The Shah of Iran!"

#38531 3 years ago
US Blues
Track 11 at exactly 2:00
"Shake the hand that shook the hand of PT Barnum and The Shah of Iran"

www.archive.org/details/gd1980-01-13.sbd.miller.106517.flac16

I thought that was what I had heard and asked my friends and many others after the show and not one person noticed...I sure as hell did but wondered if I had heard an altered version in my own noggin....nope, he said-sung it alright.
Memorable show with guests, fun time for a good cause.

Happy 4th, y'all. Light em if ya got em.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
StuartSlate
Expert Boarder

Re: Jerry: "of PT Barnum and The Shah of Iran!"

#38532 3 years ago
sjfgreenman wrote:
US Blues
Track 11 at exactly 2:00
"Shake the hand that shook the hand of PT Barnum and The Shah of Iran"

www.archive.org/details/gd1980-01-13.sbd.miller.106517.flac16

I thought that was what I had heard and asked my friends and many others after the show and not one person noticed...I sure as hell did but wondered if I had heard an altered version in my own noggin....nope, he said-sung it alright.
Memorable show with guests, fun time for a good cause.

Happy 4th, y'all. Light em if ya got em.

Welcome back!
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#38535 3 years ago
the lyric probably came from the proto-us blues song "wave that flag"
hunter tinkered with the lyrics for a while before rewriting the song as us blues

jerry liked to fool around too
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#38922 3 years ago
thanks, Stuart

"the lyric probably came from the proto-us blues song "wave that flag"
hunter tinkered with the lyrics for a while before rewriting the song as us blues"

If you check out the date, what was going on at the time, it's easy to read between the lines. We were in the thick of the Iran hostage crisis which was ended by the great Ronald Reagan...all we had to do was ship the them a bunch of weapons and all they had to do was wait until after the election so that Carter remained unpopular. Ole Ronnie shook the Shah's hand, alright.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by sjfgreenman.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#38926 3 years ago
yeah i'm gooing to agree and say it was thought of just relating to current events...reminds me of one version of PITB i used to have where bob is "playin in the barn" or on 1983-09-04??? park city utah bobby it's "one more labor day night"
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#38941 3 years ago
I can remember a "One more 4th of July"...of course, Phil's changing Tom Thumbs lyrics to "going back to San Anselmo"....and the many Minglewood changes..
I've definitely heard them put extra energy into a couple of Throwing Stones after the US was involved in yet another war action...but how many of these changes were about a recent event?

I think the Oakland Speedway breakout was possibly politically motivated and then there was my only show at the Spectrum where they played Morning Dew after space then left the stage which many have said was related to some recent military action...

Weird thing, Jerry changed that line in January '80 and the arms trade was later, in the fall..so I guess it was the overall knowledge that we were in bed with a messed up regime.

THE OCTOBER SURPRISE

The Iran-Contra scandal can be traced to the October Surprise during the 1980 Presidential election between incumbent Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. In the fall of 1980, Carter was marginally leading Reagan in the polls with the election right around the corner. The release of hostages before election day presumably would have insured the election for Carter. The Reagan team conspired to negotiate a deal with Ayatollah Khomeini of Iran. Campaign manager William Casey and George Bush met with Iranian Prime Minister Bani-sadr in Paris in October, only weeks before the election and with Carter having a slight lead over Reagan. Part of the deal cut between the Reagan team and Iran was to provide military weapons which Iran desperately needed in its war with Iraq. As it turned out, the 52 American hostages remained captive in Teheran. Carter's popularity continued to plummet, enabling Reagan to be elected in November, and ironically the hostages were returned at 12 o'clock noon on January 21, 1981 when Reagan was inaugurated.

The first meeting regarding arms-to-Iran occurred in July 1980 in Barcelona, Spain and not in Madrid as was initially reported. The Republican team met at the Hotel Princess Sofia and at the Pepsico International headquarters. The American team was led by Republican campaign director William Casey, who months later was to be named CIA chief by Reagan, and by Robert McFarlane, who later became National Security adviser under Reagan. Three months after Barcelona, a more important meeting took place in Paris. CIA agent Richard Brenneke testified that Bush was in Paris on Sunday, October 19, 1980 when he met with members of the Khomeini regime to consummate an arms package to Iran. Bush, along with Casey and other government officials, flew to Paris on a BAC 111 on Saturday evening, October 18. The plane arrived in Paris on Sunday morning October 19 at 8:40 a.m. European time.

While in Paris, the Republican team gave $40 million to the Iranian government as a gesture of good faith that the Reagan team was serious in dealing with the terrorist Khomeini government -- and that the 52 American hostages should remain captive until after the November election. After the meeting, Bush had to quickly return to the United States in order to deliver a speech at the Washington Hilton Hotel. He departed France in an SR-71 reconnaissance plane, piloted by Gunther Russbacher. The plane was refueled by an Air Force tanker nearly 2,000 miles out of Paris. The entire return flight to the United States was less than two hours.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#38943 3 years ago
welcome back, but thats really really old news why bother to dredge it up?
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#39121 3 years ago
well, thanks..

which news is old, that Reagan traded arms or Jerry's nod to the mess of a situation?

why? why not? cmon, add it up...what holiday just happened? would a deadhead be thinking of us blues maybe during this time? Some people have claimed Jer was non-political...so here ya go..

At the very least it's interesting food for thought imo and i'd guess lots of folks missed that tiny detail in dead folklore... when they'd break out The Race is On during Kentucky Derby week, etc that always caught my eye..

..you never shot the shit with musical buddies about dead trivia like this?

...beats any news i've seen recently....
The following user(s) said Thank You: kfender
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#39140 3 years ago
to each his own i dont see the point in getting upset over the past its the past.its all good i was just wondering why thats all not being confrontational
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#39154 3 years ago
no upset here...just reflection and observation, i think it's interesting stuff + newsworthy for the 4th
..and Phil drops one hell of a bomb right after Jer says Shah of Iran

anyway, thanks for responding..had you ever heard of Jerry singing this and/or did you listen to the version?
Time to create page: 1.04 seconds