• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

Re: The Pranksters Film is Finally Here!

#38022 3 years ago
Okay, I guess maybe I'm wrong about colorization of the film. They just put this clip up on Facebook, and Walker says they purchased color film. All I'd seen was blurry B&W.

You should be able to access this w/out having to log in or anything:

Exclusive clip from MAGIC TRIP

Man, I don't know about anyone else, but this is pretty dammed exciting for me!!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#38024 3 years ago
they wrote "FURTHER" on that bus, so it was originally with an "E"?

and if so when was that changed? - I always thought it was "FURTHUR" on the front of the bus.

I guess the film will probably answer that for me...
Last Edit: 3 years ago by MushroomMan.
Playdead419
Junior Boarder

#38110 3 years ago
just watched it and thought it was really good lots of hilarious footage.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#38112 3 years ago
Believe the had 'Furthur' on the front of the bus when they did the first paint job and corrected it soon afterwards, before trip I believe, They also had 'Further' painted on back. Man I need to get this movie I've been waitin for too long! Also if anyones interested Ken Babbs just put out a new book 'Who Shot The Water Buffalo' It can be ordered online, quote from his website
'If you are going to order the book over the internet, order by phone, get it from Tsunami Books, a locally owned bookstore. Or go to the store in Eugene, Oregon.You will get a signed copy.
Costs you $22. Free shipping in the U.S.

Order by phone: 541-345-8986

Order by email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack Jones, bokb
ColoradoRain
Junior Boarder

#38113 3 years ago
MushroomMan wrote:
they wrote "FURTHER" on that bus, so it was originally with an "E"?

and if so when was that changed? - I always thought it was "FURTHUR" on the front of the bus.

I guess the film will probably answer that for me...

In Tom Wolfe's book "The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test", it says the first painting of the bus labeled it "Furthur", but that was later changed to the correct spelling. They were constantly adding new layers of paint to the thing, so it was never the same twice.

I saw the movie tonight and thought it was pretty damn good. Especially the part where Kesey signs up for the US Gov't. acid research...Amazing they actually have audio recordings of the first time Kesey dosed!
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#38115 3 years ago
I seem to recall that Kesey was undergoing the gov't "research" around the same time as Robert Hunter in the same facility. That may just be legend, though.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#38166 3 years ago
No. They were both in that program. That's been confirmed.

There's really audio from that in the film? Somebody must have done a LOT of digging.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: bokb
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#38576 3 years ago
Just watched it from On Demand and I have to say it’s must-see viewing, IMO, so much fun!! All this original footage is such a gift- it makes you feel like you’re right there. The narration is good and even the “recreated” scenes are pretty well done. But seeing all the Pranksters filmed as everything actually happened is incredible. Neal Cassady truly is a trip, if you’ll pardon the bad pun. Some nice, if brief, footage of the Dead playing at acid tests, and a few old interview comments from Jerry. I can’t recommend it enough!
Brother Dust
Gold Boarder

#39918 3 years ago
Watched half of it last night and the rest of it this morning. It was cool to see some of the footage but all and all I thought it was boring. The last 10 min. was the best part of the film.
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#40917 3 years ago
Finally got to watch The Magic Trip as a birthday gift from my tourbuddy!

Really awesome, to be sure. And yes, I found it lacking. Why can't we just be happy with the way shit is? Always want more! The movie was really short, I thought, I don't think it was 90mins. And there was a good bit of "stock footage of the sixties" here & there. However, what prankster stuff there is, mmmm, some wonderful stuff! Seeing Cassady in action, with audio, was MORE than I expected; that man was magic! The cool commentaries along the way are a fine treat as well.

If you've read the book, the film is a beautiful, brief little snapshot of the intrepid adventure!

If you haven't read the book (Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test)..... um WTF?! seriously!
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds