• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

26 yrs ago 6/30/85 Merriweather

#37759 3 years, 1 month ago
Tough to call one I saw tons of shows but with a gun to my head this is my all time favorite attended. I could write a book on these 2 days alone so I WILL be brief. Crowd nothing like today I can say that at bare minimum 90% if not higher of those in attendance were on the magic bus. Many of us made our way down after the spectacular Hershey show the 2 days before. before. We were one of the first to arrive 8am or so Harry Popick was riding his bike around the empty lot & we said hello. (funny I had just saw him onstage at Hershey and here he was toolin around on a bike. The other thing about these shows is it was 1985 and it would be fair to say ALOT of folks were spending ALOT of time with Eric Clapton. From the the time we arrived till we headed to Pittsburgh I slept a grand total of 1/2 hour. Onto the 6/30 show. I'm sure alot of you have burned out your tapes listening to this one like I have. I'm not going to do a song by song review cause they are all off the chain. Without any doubt the greatest Shakedown Street ever to open set 2 .....and if you are younger listen to this . I have never seen a crowd more energized..and the band certainly felt it and were of like mind I believe ..... if you were there you know and I raise my glass to you.... if you have had it for years toss it on tonight... if you have never heard it you better strap yourself in...that said I will say a tape ( I still use that word) doesn't portray everything that was goin down but it gives you an idea . Gone are the daze.......

06/30/85 (Sun) Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, MD

Set 1: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > CC Rider > Brown Eyed Women, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues, Keep On Growing > Big Railroad Blues > Looks Like Rain > Don't Ease Me In

Set 2: Shakedown Street > Samson & Delilah, Gimme Some Lovin' > He's Gone > Cryptical Envelopment > Drums > The Other One > Stella Blue > Around and Around > Sugar Magnolia, E: U.S. Blues
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack Jones, SkiNose
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

Re: 26 yrs ago 6/30/85 Merriweather

#37761 3 years, 1 month ago
For those who may not have it or have heard it ..go below for the slewfoot aud!!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#37764 3 years, 1 month ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
For those who may not have it or have heard it ..here it is in all its glory!!!!

www.archive.org/details/gd1985-06-30.sbd...nko.23223.sbeok.shnf

Top 'o the morn to ya my lil' ray of sunshine! I played the crap out of that second set growing up until it to was dead. I have a matrix disc of that. I might just have to listen to that in your honor of mentioning it. Toodleoo.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by strangerinboulder.
WGJORDAN3
Junior Boarder

#37769 3 years, 1 month ago
LISTENING TO IT (6-30-85) FOR THE FIRST TIME RIGHT NOW. THIS IS ALSO THE SAME YEAR (85) THAT THE DEAD PLAYED IN SOUTH CAROLINA FOR THEIR FIRST AND ONLY TIME, 10-31-85, A BITCHIN SHOW AS WELL. OPENED WITH SPACE INTO WEREWOLVES, ONE OF THE BEST LL RAIN YOULL EVER HEAR, AND A NICE SHAKEDOWN TOO.
"TAKE MY ADVICE, YOU'D BE BETTER OFF DEAD."
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#37774 3 years, 1 month ago
yup a real barn burner for sure i was there and it was an awesome time, will pop this on later tonite and enjoy the cool nite air and reminisce
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder

#37787 3 years, 1 month ago
The SDB recording isn't going to tell you anything about the vibe and energy of this amazing night. Thankfully, Jim and Doug Oade were there, recording FOB with very high end equipment. The Oade's recordings of this time period are AMAZING time machines! The Shakedown contains one of my all time favorite moments in GD music. The crowd/band orgasm in the jam is sure to provide mega goosebumps. Turn this up on good headphones or a quality stereo and you'll be transported back to 6/30/85!

I've updated the link to include the entire show ***
www.archive.org/details/gd85-06-30.oade-...ks.25242.sbeok.flacf
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Slewfoot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Jack Jones
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#37804 3 years, 1 month ago
Slewfoot wrote:
The SDB recording isn't going to tell you anything about the vibe and energy of this amazing night. Thankfully, Jim and Doug Oade were there, recording FOB with very high end equipment. The Shakedown contains one of my all time favorite moments in GD music. The crowd/band orgasm in the jam is sure to provide mega goosebumps. Turn this up on good headphones or a quality stereo and you'll be transported back to 6/30/85!

www.archive.org/details/gd85-06-30.oade-...ks.25242.sbeok.flacf

Slewfoot you are 100% correct. I actually in most cases prefer a good aud.Thats why I put up an aud of Hershey... my bad !!!
Love your wording by the way " The crowd/band orgasm in the jam is sure to provide goosebumps".... all I can say is I was in the 6th row and my pants got very messy!!!
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#37806 3 years, 1 month ago
WGJORDAN3 wrote:
LISTENING TO IT (6-30-85) FOR THE FIRST TIME RIGHT NOW. THIS IS ALSO THE SAME YEAR (85) THAT THE DEAD PLAYED IN SOUTH CAROLINA FOR THEIR FIRST AND ONLY TIME, 10-31-85, A BITCHIN SHOW AS WELL. OPENED WITH SPACE INTO WEREWOLVES, ONE OF THE BEST LL RAIN YOULL EVER HEAR, AND A NICE SHAKEDOWN TOO.

You are correct sir. I did that show & then on to play 2 in Richmond. Richmond didn't suck either!!!! 10/31/85 set one is one of my all time fave set 1's... and I say best LL Rain ever. I think the band (especially Bob) spent alot of time with the peruvian marching soldiers as you can here him goin off on the "just gotta poke around" line. Rest of set 2 decent not great a lil sloppy. Set 1 was where it was at that night. I met up with a friend after the show and he said "I am so disoriented...space to open????" He was disoriented allright LOL but thats another story. 1985 or bust!!!!
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#37807 3 years, 1 month ago
Top 'o the morn to ya my lil' ray of sunshine! I played the crap out of that second set growing up until it to was dead. I have a matrix disc of that. I might just have to listen to that in your honor of mentioning it. Toodleoo.

I've got the matrix installed in my brain cells, a LARGE footprint in fact;) Caught Phil at Merriweather a couple years back..they actually have a metal sign that commemorates those shows as you walk in to the venue. Hope all is well looking forward breakin my Red Rox cherry!!!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#37810 3 years, 1 month ago
The Keep on Growin' was mighty special.....Shakedown, of course, Gimme Some And Cryptical, into which I think they had played once in Cali, but it was still a surprise for most.....and my all time favorite Stella Blue..."Dust of those rusting strings just one mo' time ------ gonna make em shine Shine.

After Hershey and these two at Merriweather, it was so hard not to go on to Pittsburgh....

Trouble Ahead Jerry in Red.

www.deadlistening.com/2008/11/1985-june-...r-post-pavilion.html
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Terrapin Sedation.
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds