phils bass is BOOMING
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: Hershey Park 6/28/85 ...26 years ago what a night

#37526 3 years, 3 months ago
yes yes yes

This was essentially a home town show for me. I got tickets for my sister and her hubby. They are older, but had never been to a show. For some reason we needed to borrow my parents car..... which at the time was a fucking Cadillac (I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac). Things ran late and we got on the road, I bombed it and we got there....so many highlights...Comes a Time was sweet. Music ..Tom Thumbs Blues

Just a great fun show. It rained, but was warm. Met up with friends and had a great time.....the DEW!!!

Getting out of the lot was tricky in the low bottom beast, and I was way gone, but managed to navigate it home.

On to Merriweather for more fun.

Had taper friends so got a good quality Maxell soon after.. played it to death.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#37540 3 years, 3 months ago
IJust llistened to the Estimated.. wholly shiiite the first Jerry break guitar solo after goin to light my wayyyy ayyy ....is insane. Gotta listen to this show this weekend under proper listening conditions. Another crazy thing about this show... I had a friend call me up the night before this show... and say he was headin down--had no ticket buit said I'll see ya there...he lived about 3 hours away and was ridin his motorcycle in. Now I know its hard to believe but this was in the days BEFORE cell phones. So I told him good luck bro but I doubt your goin to find us amongst 30k people. Well 5 minutes after pulling in and parking at the stadium a ccycle pulls up in front of us he takes his helmet off and its him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gets stranger. Hangin after the show with em ( we weren't in the show together) he says hey man gotta role... . he's on the bus....feels in his pocket for his keys and doesn't have em. He says I'm goin back in the stadium to see if anyone turned em in and in that madness we were like good luck bro... and damn if he's not back 20 minutes later... with his keys. Someone HAD found em & turned em in. Yet another golden memory from a near Perfect experiece show.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#37571 3 years, 3 months ago
totally just posted something on the wrong thread sorry folks...
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by wlewis.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#37585 3 years, 3 months ago
Hershey was the show that got me back on the bus. Hadn't seen the Dead since the Spectrum, Jan. '79. Compared to '74 and '77 I thought the band sounded pretty ragged, though looking back, there was still a lot of energy and the setlists were strong. Even so, it was a good excuse to get away from a scene I thought was getting way too coked out.

Summer of '85, some friends who were hitting a lot of shows at the time had an extra ticket and dragged me along. They even did the driving. SUCH an improvement over early '79. I do agree the Estimated was the absolute peak but the Terrapin came pretty close. Ultimately, it all made a point that still guides me today: Never count these guys out. Always give them another chance. They're searching for the magic just like us and when it does appear, we all discover it together.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#37802 3 years, 3 months ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
IJust llistened to the Estimated.. wholly shiiite the first Jerry break guitar solo after goin to light my wayyyy ayyy ....is insane. Gotta listen to this show this weekend under proper listening conditions. Another crazy thing about this show... I had a friend call me up the night before this show... and say he was headin down--had no ticket buit said I'll see ya there...he lived about 3 hours away and was ridin his motorcycle in. Now I know its hard to believe but this was in the days BEFORE cell phones. So I told him good luck bro but I doubt your goin to find us amongst 30k people. Well 5 minutes after pulling in and parking at the stadium a ccycle pulls up in front of us he takes his helmet off and its him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gets stranger. Hangin after the show with em ( we weren't in the show together) he says hey man gotta role... . he's on the bus....feels in his pocket for his keys and doesn't have em. He says I'm goin back in the stadium to see if anyone turned em in and in that madness we were like good luck bro... and damn if he's not back 20 minutes later... with his keys. Someone HAD found em & turned em in. Yet another golden memory from a near Perfect experiece show.

Are you strolling down memory lane, or just a good flashback?
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#37803 3 years, 3 months ago
Are you strolling down memory lane, or just a good flashback

BOTH LOL every year at this time I "flashback" ... this 4 show run ( Hershey , Merriweather x2 & pittsburgh )ended for me after Pittsburgh (tour ender) and is the greatest run of shows I was ever fortunate enough to catch. Pittsburgh is often overlooked by the greatness of the previous 4 ( I'll toss in SPAC but I wasn't there) but in any other year or run would be a standout show. They kept goin just a lil bit higher till there was nothing left but downhill from here.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#37808 3 years, 3 months ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
Are you strolling down memory lane, or just a good flashback

BOTH LOL every year at this time I "flashback" ... this 4 show run ( Hershey , Merriweather x2 & pittsburgh )ended for me after Pittsburgh (tour ender) and is the greatest run of shows I was ever fortunate enough to catch. Pittsburgh is often overlooked by the greatness of the previous 4 ( I'll toss in SPAC but I wasn't there) but in any other year or run would be a standout show. They kept goin just a lil bit higher till there was nothing left but downhill from here.

I did this run as well and I agree that it was amazing. Do you remember that in Pittsburgh, Jerry started Brokedown in the wrong key and stopped it? He said something like "that was really good", and then they re-started the song. Only Deadheads can love a band that is that relaxed. Is my memory correct about this? I'll have to go back and give it a listen to make sure.
Without love day to day insanity's king
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#37819 3 years, 3 months ago
Ed your right about the false start Brokedown in Pittsburgh.... Jerry started on the wrong verse....then stopped chuckled and said "sounded good didn't it? " Then they restarted. The insanity just kept on rollin..Spac>Hershey>Merriweatherx2>ending in Pittsburgh my hometown (and indoors in the summer!) ....ithen it all restarted in the fall almost from the place they/we left off...I remember sharing a hotel with a few others LOL and my one friend and his girl were doin the whole tour--the day of the second Richmond show he showed me his "tour book" of tickets to every show remember those? I was highly jealous and somehow my "smarter" brain took over and I headed back to college.
SkiNose
Junior Boarder

#37841 3 years, 3 months ago
IWT!

Twas an epic night. Prepared me, 25 years later, for Cuthbert last fall.

I need a Miracle.... rain stopped... Morning Dew.... steam rising off of everything.

Thanks for the reminder.

Cued up now. Gonna start with SPAC.... I did Spac and Hershey, then Red Rocks that summer.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know."
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by SkiNose.
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds