• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

Hershey Park 6/28/85 ...26 years ago what a night

#37444 3 years, 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure most of you know or have heard about this legendary show from my favorite year ever attended--1985! Anyway thought I'd share my story of that night (i'll try to be brief..try being the key word)..made my way to the show with my best buddy with what was left of the keg from the night before in the backseat ( youthful idiocy )...anyway my buddy at the time was Mr Casey Jones and "to much of everything was just enough." It had been pretty nice during the day but as the afternoon went along ominous dark storm clouds were forming. About an hour and a half before showtime the skies opened up ina monsoon. The only rain I can even compare it to was the rain at the beggining of set 2 in Pittsburgh on 6/30/95. About a 1/2 hour before showtime as the magic bus was rolling by I said to my buddy "you mind gettin wet" he said "f no"
and we headed to the gates . As we got into the GA show I couldn't believe my eyes. Only about 30 die hards were in front of the stage so there we headed. About 10 minutes before showtime Kreutmann came out onto the stage looked up and gave a thumbs down signal. In a great are you kynd moment a guy I just met said I got an extra bandanna in my pocket you want it? Hells yes!!! Keep my head a lil dry ( this was when I had hair LOL) Anyway as the boys come out in the monsoon I can't believe my eyes Jerry is onstage in a friggin sports coat like he just came from the country club. Let me tell you the initial group of diehards upfront had formed a camaraderie & everyone was sharin everything & in this trip together. The boys came out with a predictable yet fun Cold Rain & Snow....& then we were off to the Promised Land. A gigantic Ramble on Rose singalong was spot on. Then we got the RARE (this may have been the last one) Meet me on the Bottom>Aint Superstituos..give me my running shoes...this had already been a super FUN first set but we were about to get levitated in the downpour. A Jerry trifecta of Bird Song>Comes A Time> Deal unfinbelievable. Crowd is melting. as they come back on for set 2 Bobby thanks the crack technician crew and says "we're goin to resume our singin in the rain" opening refrain of Music never Stopped and every tiime I see this since I think of our little audience in front of the stage clappin our hands in unison and the VIBE was there, X factor at 10. My first Phil Tom Thumbs that he had just broke out on spring tour was nice....then we were off to C A L I F O R N I A ....I remember thinkin how much this was not California in a PA deluge...but the mental image was nice. Bob goes off in typical mid 80's peruvian marching soldier style and then we were off to a monstrous Terrapin. . A truely twisted D/S into never more appropriate Miracle singalong. Then THE DEW. Man Jerry was bringing the goods tonight!!!!!!!!! ( ROR, Bird Song, Comes a Time, Deal, Terrapin, Dew!!!!) whole place was shakin. I nearly forgot to mention the EPIC Phil bombs throughout..especially set 2. A rockin mid 80's Throwin Stones and you knew our love would not fade away. These words don't come anywhere close to doing justice to the experience of the evening. Again I didn't hear ONE person complain about Day Job as it was appropriate and band and audience was spent, and we were soaked in a mixture of sweat and downpour. We were headed to Merriweather next and I remember saying "There is NO FUC*&( way they are goin to get near or top that show in Merriweather. Silly idiotic boy....the next show (6/30) turned out to be my all time fave attended . Long live the summer of 1985!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, SkiNose, Terrapin Sedation
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

Re: Hershey Park 6/28/85 ...26 years ago what a night

#37446 3 years, 1 month ago
I haven't listened to this yet but its an aud ..one of the shows where your missing something if you just listen to a sterile soundboard. Goin to give it a listen later.... the snbd is up on archive to if thats what your preference is.

www.archive.org/details/gd1985-06-28.111...aweez.d5scott.flac16

rock on!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#37447 3 years, 1 month ago
Great memories here too. That means yesterday was the 26th anniversary of SPAC 1985. Another amazing electric show. "You, yes you butch, stop hanging off the balconies.. There's some 50,000 people waiting for you to get back in your seat" "Hey phil, my dog has no nose. No Nose, how does he smell? Blooming awful." Now permanently engraved in my noggin.

Show rocked from the opening / chilling midnight hour. Sun went down as show started really made the tie dies electric.

www.archive.org/details/gd85-06-27.sbd.miller.27863.sbeok.flacf (thanks once more Charlie Miller)
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#37448 3 years, 1 month ago
26 years? Where does the time go? Hershey was one of my most treasured Dead memories, for sure. I also remember during the drive there stopping at a little mom and pop store in rural Pennsylvania for supplies. The locals in the area didn't know what had hit them!! "Who are all these people and where did they come from?" We were everywhere!!!
Without love day to day insanity's king
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#37449 3 years, 1 month ago
I was at both shows ,i remember being on the field in bare feet and shorts dancing in the puddles it was awesome .the steam rising off the crowd was a sight to see for sure.afterwords we stayed at a nearby campground that we nicknamed club dead before heading down to merriweather for another glorious show,thanks for posting this after i take care of some bidness I'm going to pop on the headphones close my eyes and time travel back to that nite,coincidently in PA today they are calling for thunderstorms tonite
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#37452 3 years, 1 month ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
26 years? Where does the time go? Hershey was one of my most treasured Dead memories, for sure. I also remember during the drive there stopping at a little mom and pop store in rural Pennsylvania for supplies. The locals in the area didn't know what had hit them!! "Who are all these people and where did they come from?" We were everywhere!!!

LOL Ed..we ended up parking behind some restaurant...in retrospect NOT smart.. but we were in no driving condition. We got up took care of a lil waking up business and walked inside....wholly shiite 2/3 of the place was filled with Amish people..and in come these 2 long haired freaks...I remember saying to my firend later.. they probably get stared at all the time by the non Amish folks....this was their payback to stare at us......... just more insanity.... & I just pulled this review off archive:

just a really bizarre first set.. and let's face it, Jerry was on the verge of death at this point... he labored vocally through Ramble On Rose (and had a brain lapse for an entire verse in Terrapin) but he reached deep down on the Birdsong>Comes A Time>Deal trifecta and one of the best-ever Morning Dew's.

the band was stellar in spite of any technical problems, the rain or any vocal strain, carrying Jerry [vocally] through much of the second set.
it poured rain pretty much the entire night.
tripped out Healy sound attack>Music Never Stopped (with the finest jam this song has ever produced), Phil belts out Tom Thumb's Blues, the Estimated>Terrapin segue jam is just surreal.
one of the finest all-around musical moments during an up and down year.
Phil blows out a bass speaker during Dew, there's just so much going on during this night, crazy fiendish energy.

one of the Top 3 shows of the 1980s.

I agree with ALMOST everything this poster said and I'll second the Music Never Stopped and Dew as candidates for best ever. Not surpiised Phil blew out a speaker..he was bombing away...probably recognized it at the show but that brain cell is gone. I do disagree about 85 being an up and down year....sure some nights Jerrys vocals were rough but the playing was HIGH ENERGY and damn near epic almost every show. Merriweather, 2nd 2 philly shows in the Spring and Richmond in the fall plus a sick Halloween show are amongst my faves ever attended.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#37455 3 years, 1 month ago
couldnt wait listening now,goosebumps on my arms,aint gonna be treated this ol way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by 83msg1sttyme.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#37456 3 years, 1 month ago
Still regret mssin that SPAC show ;( only plus is we missed the long drive from SPAC>Hershey so were fresh for the Hershey>Merriweather>Pittsburgh run. Memo to above posters 'looks like the old fans are gettin old" LOL
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#37457 3 years, 1 month ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
couldnt wait listening now,goosebumps on my arms,aint gonna be treated this ol way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL I just "cheated" to hear the Music Never Stopped......and was getting goosebumps. All I can say is AWESOME. Damn now I gotta get some stuff done around here in 2011!!!!
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#37483 3 years, 1 month ago
A friend was in from New mexico and down the pa turnpike we went.I rememeber looking up the hill at the Milton hershey academy and thinking it gave an orphan friend of mine a good education. I was with folks who had seen the Dead for years and were so happy despite the Rain.I remember my friend Daves face when They played Tom Thumbs! Great Time!
Time to create page: 0.76 seconds