• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
nastero
Junior Boarder

The Wheel of Time

#36298 3 years, 2 months ago
Anyone read this series by Robert Jordan?

I just started reading the first book on the recommendation of several friends and family.

Is it worth it? Thoughts?

So far it is pretty good and moving along at a reasonable pace. The writing seems solid, though perhaps a little heavy-handed with the foreshadowing.

I sometimes find it hard to read fantasy-type books like this since they all seem somewhat derivative of Tolkien's work. But I guess there is only so much you can do for originality when it comes to this genre.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: The Wheel of Time

#36338 3 years, 2 months ago
cant say i have is it new?i can check it out at the library if its any good let me know,i tend to read more DIY books,just did a search guy got alot of books out there maybe ill give it a whirl it is summer
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by 83msg1sttyme.
nastero
Junior Boarder

#36368 3 years, 2 months ago
I'm bummed because I had a nice response all typed out and I spazzed and clicked away, losing it all. I'll try to remember all I said .

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the first book and I find it to be a good read so far (though you're right that there are aLOT of books by this guy, not to mention in this series, so it is a bit of a committment). I would consider it to be an epic fantasy along the lines of Tolkien's work insofar as the author appears to have gone to great lengths to create a universe and mythology that has a great deal of depth to it. While so far he has doled out the history and mythology (the big picture back story if you will) in bits and pieces in order to focus on the present storyline, he has done so in a way that, rather than frustrate the reader, ignites in the reader a desire to find out how it will all eventually tie in to the present-day storyline.

Again, it is a series that came highly recommended from a wide variety of sources with disparate tastes in literature, and that suggests that there is more than just a fantasy story element to this.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#36373 3 years, 2 months ago
thanks i read tolkien as a teen and loved it i will try to see if i can get some books id like to start at the begining if possible
nastero
Junior Boarder

#36381 3 years, 2 months ago
The first book, the one I'm reading, is called The Eye of the Word : Book One of 'The Wheel of Time' ...

I mean, it's got 2 Dead song titles right there in the name, can't go wrong with that, right? They've been around for a while so I'd imagine you could probably get them pretty cheap at a used book store, the library, or some place like that.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#36383 3 years, 2 months ago
i like it im gonna see if they got it now BRB
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#36385 3 years, 2 months ago
cool they got it placed a hold they let me know when it comes in,thanks furthur forum book club
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#36386 3 years, 2 months ago
Thnx, i luvs me some(def not all) fantasy booooks. Lik the basicss lik the harrypotter books. Also read some ummmmmmm what ere they called. Some books where there was a floating castle, n whatnot. twas a good booook. Any rec's for a fantasy (yet not tween douchey twilighty fan) books. =-)
nastero
Junior Boarder

#36395 3 years, 2 months ago
The "Adept" series by Piers Anthony is *really* good, though probably a bit more sci-fi than fantasy.

The "Incarnations of Immortality" series by Piers Anthony is also really good. It is sort of fantasy, but not in the "wizards and elves" sense.

Lastly, the "Xanth" series by Piers Anthony (hmmm, perhaps a trend here), which is much more a fantasy series, but also very humorous.

I'll see if I can come up with some more, but those really should keep you busy for quite some time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds