• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

Maybe I'm Just an Old Fart

#36137 2 years, 10 months ago
Was talkin' with some friends who'd attended Bonnaroo, talking about "festival season" and all that....

"Why, back in MY day...."

Grandpa-Abe-Simpson.jpeg

Spring tour, summer tour, that was "festival season" for me.

I went to the first Bonnaroo. The organizers used us as their logistical guinea pigs, and sleep-deprivation was the biggest price. My main memory, tho, is that I almost got to see a lot of great music. 15 min. at one stage, bolt mid-set to catch the end of another set, sacrifice one act for another just so we could stake our claim on a great sightline for the upcoming artist, having Karl Denson's booming funk overpowering Keller's acoustic set..... somewhere in there trying to find time to eat/replenish, hang w/ friends, maybe get a little shut-eye, or just chill.... and this is a vacation for me? *whew!*

I saw the first Lalapalooza festival tour, the first HOARDE festival tour, the first Furthur festival tour, but those weren't really festivals, dig, cuz they were just one day. I did a buncha Phish festivals - the Great Went being the first - and, yeah, that counts. MerleFest, Hookahville, and a few other random regional weekend fests. Somewhere it really burnt me out, y'know? Phish's Oswego festival was the last really big event I'd attended, and that's when I'd decided I was over the festival scene. I was worn-out that second day, sensory overload in some respects, psychic overload in others (it gets increasingly painful to witness the self-destruction my younger brothers & sisters choose to inflict upon themselves.) Maybe it is just an age thing and that lifestyle has passed for me.

However, I am elated that Furthur has re-awakened that original festival vibe for me!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Maybe I'm Just an Old Fart

#36145 2 years, 10 months ago
I understand what you're saying. For me it just became a matter of the pleasure/interest I had in the line-ups started being outweighed by the discomfort involved in dealing with large, outdoor festvals. I think it was around the time Snoop Dog started showing up at some events. I will disagree somewhat on the youthful self destruction. I'm not sure that's any different now than it ever was. Some people can party and cope, others can't, and probably wouldn't be whether they were ingesting anything or not...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bokb
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#36149 2 years, 10 months ago
How old do you have to be to qualify as an old fart? And are you an old fart? Just wondering because I might be pushing it.
Confusions Prince
Junior Boarder
High on a Mountain

#36150 2 years, 10 months ago
I hear what you're saying. "Back in the day" a "festival" was a six night run at the Garden. I used to love to do the big festivals (Bonnaroo, Vibes, All Good), but nowadays I prefer the smaller scale ones where I'm not running all over the place trying to hear the music I want to hear. I live in PA, so Bear's Picnic, Jibberjazz events, Stonehenge, and Jammin' for the Animals are my usuals. Still a lot of fun, just not so huge (and the restrooms & portapotties are a lot cleaner!)

"Back in the day".... lol... my grandfather told me I'd be saying that one day.
If it rolls, sink it.
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#36155 2 years, 10 months ago
neverstop66 wrote:
How old do you have to be to qualify as an old fart? And are you an old fart? Just wondering because I might be pushing it.

LOL

I'm in my mid-forties, and I've known many twentysomethings that are so much older than me.... completely set in their ways on so many levels.

I call 'em "young geezers."

Some grow up, some grow old, others simply grow!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#36156 2 years, 10 months ago
Ok good. Im 44 but my wife says im 12 mentally. So just checking. I was getting worried I might be an old fart.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#36161 2 years, 10 months ago
neverstop66 wrote:
Ok good. Im 44 but my wife says im 12 mentally. So just checking. I was getting worried I might be an old fart.

We might be married to the same lady.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neverstop66
ICantFindMyFace
Senior Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design.

#36164 2 years, 10 months ago
bonnaroo... sponsored by mtv... kinda kills it dont you think? or how about woodstock in the 90's... sponsored by pepsi...
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#36166 2 years, 10 months ago
captaintony wrote:
neverstop66 wrote:

No, that's just what all us 40-something wives tell their guys. But usually it's only true sometimes!
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#36168 2 years, 10 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
captaintony wrote:
neverstop66 wrote:

No, that's just what all us 40-something wives tell their guys. But usually it's only true sometimes!

I think you women just don't misunderstand us.
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds