• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

Campaign: Please listen to the music and be quiet!

#3599 3 years, 7 months ago
Dear friends, I know many of us share the frustration of being at the show surrounded by people who WON'T. STOP. TALKING.

I have a few ideas about how we could spread a movement, like 'be kind to your neighbors and respectful of the musicians.' We all paid money to hear the concert, so please let us! This problem was bad in the later GD days, but it seems to be just as bad now with rare exceptions.

Some of us travel a long way to hear the show, only to have to move from place to place to place when the music starts in search of respectful neighbors.

I have a few ideas, but I think you may have better ones. A table outside the entrance, with a "Shut up and listen! "

But something a bit more classy perhaps like, Be kind to your neighbors.... Listen to the music play!

Carry signs at intermission?

A 'team' with T-shirts?

I'm sure you all can come up with more clever slogans to express this sentiment.

I think people just blather on and on during the show because they are not so aware of what they are doing? (the talking usually seems alcohol-influenced)

They wouldn't do that during a 2-hour, $12 movie, then why is it okay at a $70 music concert?

Let's raise awareness in our audience!

Thoughts, ideas?
The following user(s) said Thank You: garyfish, jbyerly
reb
Visitor

Re: Campaign: Please listen to the music and be quiet!

#3604 3 years, 7 months ago
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by .
quomaya2
Junior Boarder

#3614 3 years, 7 months ago
ain't nothing wrong with a sing-a-long
Strummer101er
Junior Boarder

#3618 3 years, 7 months ago
If it includes a ban on spinners I'm in.
Let fury have the hour. Anger can be power - the clash
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

Re: Campaign: Please listen to the music and be qu

#3690 3 years, 7 months ago
Singing along and talking loudly and often are different. Off topic: And why be rude about people who twirl when they dance? Spinners are largely my favorite dancers, I think they dance beautifully. When I first met a family of spinner dancers I thought they looked like angels. They taught me a lot about the best food and being grateful.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#3691 3 years, 7 months ago
this argument has been raging forever
it would be nice but, your always gonna have a few knuckle heads in any crowd
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
bdog
Junior Boarder

#3698 3 years, 7 months ago
well i think shirts that say "shut up and dance" or "shut up the band is playing" would be great or simply "shut the fuck up" i have no problem being rude about this subject as it is one of my pet peeves. It is one thing to run into a friend and say hey etc or maybe comment about the show, but people that go on about shopping or getting their nails done etc and run their mouths incessantly drive me nutz
www.kimocklist.net DJA 3/21/42-3/19/11
deliadelion
Junior Boarder

#3726 3 years, 7 months ago
I've been asking myself this question for years! Here's what I've figured out so far:

1) People are going to talk at shows, especially when a: the music is so loud they think that they have to shout over it (but nobody else can hear them because...the music is so loud), and b: the venues sell alcohol in any form.

2) Some people can be persuaded to stfu, others will make more noise on purpose out of defiance (and sheer cussed rudeness).

3) Cupping my hands around/behind my ears and facing the nearest speakers will block out all but the nearest yakkers.

4) Moving away from the yakkers is a pain, especially if i like my seat or am struggling to stay near/on the rail, but sometimes that's the only way to regain my focus on the music.

Once on pz I suggested an "old fart's" section (like the balcony at the National in Richmond) where everybody has to sit down and shut up or they can't stay. The tsunami of bullshit that flowed in response actually drove one zoner off the board completely. Hopefully this discussion won't sink that low or that fast
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by deliadelion. Reason: misspelled word
Tim The Beek
Junior Boarder

#3730 3 years, 7 months ago
While my communication with other folks while the music is playing is 99% confined to hugs, high fives and shared, knowing looks, and while it would be nice if folks didn't talk while the band is playing, Furthur shows are more than just a concert.

They're also a big family reunion, a revival service and a party all rolled into one.

It takes a lot - someone being really wasted and obnoxious - for me to even think about asking someone to quiet down.

Life is too short and precious for me to spend time worrying about this. Each moment is as it is.

My opinion only, and it ain't necessarily right.
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by Tim The Beek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4fingerman60
vegeta_ban
Junior Boarder

#3835 3 years, 7 months ago
you talk near my mic stand and you'll get a stern glare and bean induced farts stinking you away, maybe a flash light and shush
"There's a dragon with matches that's loose on the town - Takes a whole pail of water just to cool him down"
Robert Hunter

"Entropy is the most powerful force of nature"
Bob Weir 2010-02-15
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds