• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: one weird slipknot last night

#4449 3 years, 6 months ago
I've been at all the Philly shows and I've definitely noticed a new sound to the jams. Don't know that it's necessarily Phish-like -- there's no mistaking Phil's bass -- but it's definitely different from anything I've heard from RatDog, Phil & Friends or any of the Dead reunions. It's lighter, more nimble, more airy. It's probably just a result of those guys playing together so much. Sooner or later they'd almost havre to move beyond a recreation of the Dead to something more organic. I'm sure the younger guys have some Phish influence, Joe Russo even toured with Trey and Mike in '06. But since Furthur launched, Phil's bass playing has just gone to another level. It's so open and melodic. And Bobby's giving some of the best performances I've ever seen from him. It's like everybody seems to trust that the flow can be conjured whenever they take the stage so all they have to do is go out and play.

Which means, in essence, that what we're starting to hear is what this particular group of musicians really sounds like when they play together.

And IMHO it sounds great!
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#4456 3 years, 6 months ago
the 3/19 slipknot was very interesting--the diminshed run was played very well and after the opening "a-bomb" they glide into a groovy feel, jumping around..at the time it almost sounded slightly tropical--i have yet to re-listen but could tell how different it was..they explored many different genres of music in the allotted time...i especially noticed JK going off the deep end and really poking around...the last time i was so awed by a different sounding slipknot was the one from philly mann center last summer...

also to comment on the "phish" sound that many folks are hearing...joe russo is a drummer of all walks and plays a lot of jazz/upbeat music. what he is capable of doing and does is something john fishman is also very good at.. also, if anyone has not figured it out by now, JK is influenced by trey anastasio. you can hear it in his effects and hear some of it in his playing. now, that being said...i've never once thought furthur sounded like phish, just hear some emulations of treys style in JK's guitar playing..
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
furthurnyc
Fresh Boarder

#4475 3 years, 6 months ago
the first slipknot they played in asbury in 2010 showed me that jk is truly unique, very trippy and out there
Gratefulgravesmn
Junior Boarder

#4640 3 years, 6 months ago
Gathering of the Vibes Slipknot was my favorite by far, but this one is new and fresh
OneSolid
Fresh Boarder

#5088 3 years, 6 months ago
I really loved the Slipknot!>The Other One> The Eleven at Lowell last year. That jam got me way in the groove.
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds