• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Jack Straw
Junior Boarder

Re: Is the Phish experience the same as the dead?

#34958 3 years, 4 months ago
Is the Phish experience the same as the dead?

No, and unfortunately it never will be.

Long live dead music!
blues disciple
Junior Boarder

#35003 3 years, 4 months ago
Never been to a Phish show--they're playing here in Charlotte tonight and I opted to pass. I agree with the original poster though. This year I went to DSO and Further (gonna see each of em two more times this summer) and the people are definitely different....much more friendly, kinda like family you just met. I go to shows alone as my wife doesnt share my musical taste and try to meet folks at shows. Just got back into going to shows this year. Tea Leaf Green and ZZ Top were good shows, but I didn't meet anybody, everybody kept to themselves. Skynyrd last year was a bit better as far as parking lot fun goes, but in the show everyone kept to themselves for the most part. DSO was a party in the parking lot and dancing all night. Same with Furhter.....

Dead band shows are definitely a different kind of experience. Only shows that come close are Allman Brother shows....but they dont tour much anymore.

BD
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
SPAC84
Junior Boarder

#35245 3 years, 4 months ago
OtherOne wrote:
"but at all these shows, there really seems to be the absence of love and the connecting with strangers that I always experience at dead shows."

During the many years I did full phish tours, all I did was meet amazing people and share in love, life and wild times, nothing will ever compare to that magic for me. Far more connecting there in the 90's for me than what I see in the Furthur scene these days. Phish in 2011 is not Phish from the 90's nor is the scene, so maybe its just different now, i don't see them much anymore

I have found that alot of your experiences at a "Dead-based" or Phish, or any other band with a communal element depend on what you bring to the playing field. That being said I have encountered both amazing people and total assholes in both settings.

You cannot compare the two because although both scenes share many characteristics, ultimately, they are inherintly different. I think it is also problematic to compare one particular scene over years because it changes all the time. For example, the lot scene that I experienced at my first show in 1984 was very different from the lot scene I experienced in 1995-as a matter of fact by then my friends and I usually passed on the lot scene anyways becaused to us it had become a veritable sewer of shit, but that was just our viewpoint and I'm sure others felt differently.

As far as seeing a band with "into" it fans and a real feel good vibe throughout the experience, I highly recommend WSP at a show in the south or Colorado. Bash these guys alll you want (which i really don't get, but again to each his own), but if you can't get down and have a genuine good time at a WSP show the I have to believe you don't know how to have fun.
PanamaRed812
Fresh Boarder

#35348 3 years, 4 months ago
You know, I've spent some time with Phish and string cheese and a few others. I do enjoy their scenes, but I must say, the one band that still gets me really excited, both the music and the scene, is Yonder Mountain String Band. I know the music is totally different. (Although not that different if you just poke around) but the Kinfolk are spectacular people and I have never had a bad experience at a YMSB show. Love and respect and kindness abound. That being said, there will never be an experience like a Dead show, all others pale in comparison.
Rat in a drainditch, dogs in a pile,
Nothin left to do but smile, smile, smile.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#35554 3 years, 4 months ago
Jack Straw wrote:

No, and unfortunately it never will be.

Long live dead music!

Amen!
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#35558 3 years, 4 months ago
Jack Straw wrote:

Sometimes.....

and sometimes camping in the forest can be the same experience as the Dead.
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
milesgone
Junior Boarder
All the milesgone behind me to see shows

#35785 3 years, 4 months ago
the light show is out of this world.
many of the fans are dis-respectable drunks.
Many of the fans love and worship them as deadheads do with dead music.
There are not many older hippies on phish tour to teach and set an example for the younger ones, this means the lot scene can be very ugly at times.
Musically its funk/rock vs. dead music.. apples and oranges.

each has merits. my preference is always dead music.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

#35810 3 years, 4 months ago
milesgone wrote:
the light show is out of this world.
many of the fans are dis-respectable drunks.
Many of the fans love and worship them as deadheads do with dead music.
There are not many older hippies on phish tour to teach and set an example for the younger ones, this means the lot scene can be very ugly at times.
Musically its funk/rock vs. dead music.. apples and oranges.

each has merits. my preference is always dead music.

Nicely said... Very nicely said
The following user(s) said Thank You: milesgone
Aporia
Fresh Boarder

#35857 3 years, 4 months ago
Hi everybody, I am new to the board and don't have a whole lot of time to post a lot, but no one here has mentioned anything about music festivals. I have found some of the same kindness at say, High Sierra Music Festival, or Hardly Strictly Bluegrass that I have at a Dead show. However I am AJ and have only been to about six or seven Furthur shows so I really don't have much knowledge on the old Dead scence.
As for Bands, String Cheese Incident and Yonder Mountain String Band are both rockin good times and the fans are great people!
<3
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds