• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Tom Banjo
Visitor

Re: Is the Phish experience the same as the dead?

#34879 2 years, 10 months ago
Thanks for your post dude, I saw my first Phish show in the auditorium of my college and it was one of the best shows I ever saw...I also saw a show at an abandoned Air Force Air Field and that was totally awesome too. But I hadn't seen them in a long time after that... I am now branching out to new music so as not be so one-minded. I heard some "myths" about the phans at phish shows and I am glad to hear you say something otherwise. Rock on brother, cause in the end we are simply lovers of live, jamming based music!
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

#34881 2 years, 10 months ago
No problem man, i love to broaden my horizons too. Phish is a great band and i know i will resort to them eventually once bobby and phil stop playing. But man the phans are different. For example i saw them at PNC and i was on the lawn and this dumb drunk dude was running down the lawn and just kicks my water bottle that was 4.50 and my girl friends purse and her shit falls out everywhere and he just goes oh sorry and runs away. Im like come on man? at least be kind and pick up the shit you just kicked all over the place. I just cant wait for summer tour!
Chester
More or less in line

#34882 2 years, 10 months ago
In my experience, Phish can be fun, but it's not the same. I don't feel like the crowd is as nice. More custy types. And when it's
over, I have no desire to see them again for awhile. Where as, with the Grateful Dead, I couldn't get enough. I had to go to show
after show. It was a deeply meaningful experience. And it always felt as if everyone there was my friend, or at least a potential friend.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mattgill
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#34885 2 years, 10 months ago
I agree with you about there not being anything like a deadshow and a large part of the answer lies in the followers of the dead. Many Die hard fans scattered throughout the planet. Dead to the core. But it's the do your own thing I really enjoy. And it's addicting. I recall my first show many years ago watching all the freaks dance and "not getting it"

Now 200+ show later I am spinning, twirling, dancing the second the opening notes start. Just shut my eyes sometimes and go ... most of the time with just a small 420 buzz. I often find myself dancing like a freak in front of the cops, security or whomever, can't stop, never stop. But when you find them kind people and everything clicks, it's magical. "Once in a while you can get shown the light" kind of thing. And I am just one very teeny dot on this dream we dreamed one afternoon long ago.

I've never seen anything like that with another group. The closest thing for me was a moe show at Radio city. I didnt know the music but you could feel the kindness in the crowd. Still, not a deadshow.

I've also met plenty of unkind skeevy heads over the years, but IMO overall we are the kindest fluckers around.

Too bad all of us don't do unto others as we'd like others to do ......

~Keep our scene clean
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
Tom Banjo
Visitor

#34889 2 years, 10 months ago
You said it very well brother! There is a magic that exists at deadshows which is brought there by the fans. One thing I can tell you is that one does not need to pledge the dead like some fraternity... For me though, as soon as I know a person is truly into the dead and "gets it" in terms of "gets" the brotherhood and sisterhood of the culture, that person has my full trust, can crash at my home and is immediately a friend if he/she is as accompanying as I am. In other words, I treat all true deadheads as family and I have never been burned by that... I have never been ripped off even when I open myself to such things cuz deadheads REALLY ARE loving and trustworthy folks and it all tricles down from what Jerry started way back then!

It is too bad the rest of the world "doesn't get it" and its too bad that hatred and anger have gotten so bad in the world that parents are murdering their kids and men and women are blowing themselves up in order to kiill others. I seriously think that if more people got into the dead (unfortunately the drug scence kept many away and blemished our reputations...a scene which I am not innocent of and which I have parteken in) that the world would be a happier place to live. I mean why can't we walk down the street and say, hey you! you and I are human beings dude and for that brother, I love u! We cannot say that in the world, but I do say that at dead shows and I have never been punished for it, so to speak.
(<~>)
SkiNose
Junior Boarder

#34892 2 years, 10 months ago
No,

Phish is not the Grateful Dead. Therefore it is impossible. Only ones that have ever come close are Furthur. I didn't ever get butterflies in my stomach before a PLF or PLQ or Ratdog show. Furthur gives me those butterflies I used to always get a couple of hours before the show.

Nevertheless, Phish has a great sound that I really dig, more than most bands, and can get down too. I am psyched for The Gorge. 2009 Gorge shows were EPIC!!!

It's about time Furthur plays there. Next summer, perhaps.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know."
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#34895 2 years, 10 months ago
"but at all these shows, there really seems to be the absence of love and the connecting with strangers that I always experience at dead shows."

During the many years I did full phish tours, all I did was meet amazing people and share in love, life and wild times, nothing will ever compare to that magic for me. Far more connecting there in the 90's for me than what I see in the Furthur scene these days. Phish in 2011 is not Phish from the 90's nor is the scene, so maybe its just different now, i don't see them much anymore
edkinn71
Fresh Boarder

#34909 2 years, 10 months ago
The only thing that is similar is that they are in the 'Jam Band' category.

Phish has a collection of some of the most talented musicians out there - in fact I think they are musical geniuses. Having seen them 50+ times, I rarely saw them take a night off. All of that said they barely move my needle anymore. I can’t find the right analogy so I will use one I probably should not: The difference between Phish and a very good jam band is like the difference between masturbation and making love. Both serve a purpose but I would much rather do one over the other. (Guess if you want) Musically, Phish can go in some very interesting directions but it seems to always remain in the same musical context. You may strongly disagree, and this is just personal opinion but more often than not, it’s not breaking on through to the other side. The other aspect of their music that keeps me from being more of a fan is their lyrics. There is simply too much stupid, random, inside-jokish statements/messages for me to get swept off of my feet. There's some heart there.......but the soul is too hard for me to find. I do like their Beatles and Zeppelin covers though….some of the ones I have heard really do freakin rip it up.

The final dagger is the scene at a Phish show. I know, I know: “It’s not just Phish shows duuuude. There are tweakers and shasters everywhere maaaaaan.” It’s just my opinion but the vibe there is not my cup of tea. I know what I feel.

So what do I think of Phish: They are……….mah
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know.
Steve
Junior Boarder

#34941 2 years, 10 months ago
No.

Two different bands cannot supply the same experience.
Thanks Charlie Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#34946 2 years, 10 months ago
In my hey-now days, it was not just the band, but the group of friends I went to shows with that made it extra special. So, I think if you are with friends you love grooving to fine music, the difference in bands wouldn't mean so much.

I've been doing the Phish couch tour at hoodstreams. My fiirst prolonged exposure to Phish night in and out.. and I'm enjoying it.

But as far as being touched by the music, no one competes with Hunter/Garcia. In other words, I think I'll still be listening to the Dead if I make it to my 80s. Someone will say Phish, and I'll say who? No, not Who, grampa ...PHISH.

There's lots of interesting comments here.

www.dead.net/features/blairs-golden-road...her-fellow-travelers
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds