• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Tom Banjo
Visitor

Is the Phish experience the same as the dead?

#34861 3 years, 2 months ago
I am on a quest to broaden my horizons beyond that of listening to and seeing soley grateful dead bands. My friends are urging me to be more diverse and I do have to admit to a one-track mind when it comes to my music preferences. I have been to some Phish shows (as many deadheads seem to go that way) as well as Umpree's, Radiators etc... but at all these shows, there really seems to be the absence of love and the connecting with strangers that I always experience at dead shows. There seems to a be a lack of that, I AM SO GODDAMN PSYCHED TO BE HERE feeling that puts permasmile on my face as soon as the first few notes are played. When Im at dead shows, I look at people in my peripheral and they are psyched to dance and connect...I didn't experience that at Phish or other bands' shows. It's like people at a dead show are saying' "Jesus man, did you hear that!" or "Dude, we're at a fucking dead show''yahoooo!" I love dancing and I love dancing with other people as always happens at dead music shows. At other shows, people are turned off by me and usually are saying, "Get away from me, I am not your friend!" At deadshows, I feel like everyone is freinds of everyone else despite the lack of knowing those people and we are always loving to dance together!

Anyone else find this or am I alone on this one?
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

Re: Is the Phish experience the same as the dead?

#34862 3 years, 2 months ago
i agree with you; its the same for me with dave mathews. i love the tunes, but a hate the scene at his shows. thats why i'm looking to branch out musically wise with waren's bands.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#34864 3 years, 2 months ago
You are absolutely not alone. There is NOTHING like a Grateful Dead (or related) concert!!

But if you find something, be sure to let us know!
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#34866 3 years, 2 months ago
never seen Phish or Dave Matthews

Ekoostik Hookah has a Family Vibe at their shows and I hear the Widespread Panic scene is very kind too.
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by the highway terror.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingBear
MWoods
Junior Boarder

#34868 3 years, 2 months ago
Railroad Earth
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#34869 3 years, 2 months ago
Donna the Buffalo
Without love day to day insanity's king
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#34870 3 years, 2 months ago
To each their own.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by ecojaded.
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

#34872 3 years, 2 months ago
the highway terror wrote:
never seen Phish or Dave Matthews

Ekoostik Hookah has a Family Vibe at their shows and I hear the Widespread Panic scene is very kind too.

check out some live dave shows via the net or cd, some sweet jams; but like i said the scene no were near like a dead or related show.
TylerTerrapinCurtis
Junior Boarder
Tyler Curtis

#34873 3 years, 2 months ago
Phish is so much fun. And like the Dead, 95% of the crowd are kynd people.
The music kicks ass.
GO GO GO ! ! !
Buy the ticket, take the ride..."
ShakedownBlog.com
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

#34876 3 years, 2 months ago
I hear ya man, im on the same page. Its hard getting out of my dead obsession but i went to a phish show recently and it is nothing like a furthur show. The energy is way different in a bad way. I feel like a lot of the fans dont give a shit about the music and just go there cause its a reason to get drunk and see a band. Where at a furthur show, i dont know there is this certain energy like no other. Dont get me wrong i like phish, they are great musicians but man the fans really drain out the energy for me. So in my opinion the phish experience is not like the dead, there are some deadheads but not as many. I would go see them again when they come around but wont follow them around like i do with furthur.
Time to create page: 0.85 seconds