• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

Re: Sirius XM Grateful Dead Channel

#34891 3 years, 4 months ago
i'm also psyched to have 24/7 dead available at the flick of a switch, but i also think the suits just coast on the strength of the music and do nothing to enhance it (even though i know gans and bleetstein have tried to talk them into doing better, but have just given up trying.) gans is an old friend of mine, so i totally dig the vibe he brings, including not suffering fools lightly. but i have a real hard time with mr. lamebert, as i prefer to call him, prolly the most obsequious cheese log kiss ass in the entire dead universe (although i do admit and admire his encyclopedic knowledge of dead music and music in general). to me, the worst part is lemieux, who i think completely underqualified for such an important job (but then again, dick was a friend of mine and he left large shoes to fill). he (like lamebert) is willing to be such a corporate stooge, and dribble out the music instead of "liberating" it. i don't think he adds anything; he just happened to be at the right place at the right time and got the job out of the lethargy of no one knowing what else to do, and not because he was the shining choice or earned it in any way...
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - j. lennon
edkinn71
Fresh Boarder

#34906 3 years, 4 months ago
I have the channel and it rarely moves since I already know what's on my IPOD. That said, there is way too many cuts from GD albums and WAY to many freakin repeats. I mostly listen on the weekends (short commute) and although I love the Reckoning cut of Monkey and the Engineer, I am good for a good while after hearing in for the 50th time.

They need more full shows and save for that at least some 3-4 song passages that include the wonderful transitions you get between each offering. Dust off the 'hidden' gems and better showcase the depth and talent that Bill Graham described as: "The best Roc-n-Roll band that ever was, The Grateful Dead."
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know.
ShineOn
Junior Boarder

#34995 3 years, 4 months ago
gratefulade wrote:
I absolutely love the GD channel on Sirius. One thing I like is it has made it possible for me to hear a lot of the Jerry solo and JGB stuff I hadn't heard before.

I agree its great to hear some of the solo Jerry stuff, also love Jerry Week in August. I wish they would play more Phil and Bobby side projects. Maybe have a week each dedicated to Bobby and Phil, they both have plenty of good material, interviews, and other content they could play.
bender
Junior Boarder

#35006 3 years, 4 months ago
I'm not a big fan of the XM Dead channel.

1. Too many studio cuts
2. Too many repeated songs
3. Overall sound quality sucks on a majority of what they play.

I like the concept, but the sound quality jumps from song to song to a point that makes it unlistenable for me. I'll stick w/ CD's or MP3's and save my $5 a month.
Fishtown Boy
Fresh Boarder

#35037 3 years, 4 months ago
It is the home of bad transitions between songs...unbelievably bad. Who is in charge of that??
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds