• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

Re: Sirius XM Grateful Dead Channel

#34742 3 years, 2 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
David Gan's is the man. Does he host the GD channel or something? .... I always hear his weekly "Grateful Dead Hour" on gdradio, he made some good music himself as well - can't wait to see him at the Vibes this year!

he does the most boring show on Sundays. Its tales from the golden road. I don't know why I listen to it. Its like listening to paint dry (cuz were not watching). Then when a caller says anything controversial or something he doesn't like he hangs up on them. Like how dare someone dis bill graham on my show.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#34751 3 years, 2 months ago
neverstop66 wrote:
MushroomMan wrote:
David Gan's is the man. Does he host the GD channel or something? .... I always hear his weekly "Grateful Dead Hour" on gdradio, he made some good music himself as well - can't wait to see him at the Vibes this year!

he does the most boring show on Sundays. Its tales from the golden road. I don't know why I listen to it. Its like listening to paint dry (cuz were not watching). Then when a caller says anything controversial or something he doesn't like he hangs up on them. Like how dare someone dis bill graham on my show.

I really enjoy Tales From The Golden Road. I look forward to listening to it all week. The hosts, David Gans and Gary Lambert, are funny, intelligent, and know the Grateful Dead and their music inside and out. They have great guests and they treat the callers with utmost respect. I've never heard them hang up on anyone, unless in the rare instance of a caller getting rude or inappropriate. When David said "How dare someone dis Bill Graham on my show" he was saying it tongue-in-cheek, making a little joke. It's hard to believe you and I are talking about the same show. If it's not your cup of tea, why not just switch to another station during those two hours?
Without love day to day insanity's king
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#34764 3 years, 2 months ago
I usually do change the channel. But sometimes I like to torture myself. Probably the only thing I don't like about the gd channel. We actually met him at a bar before the Fox show, right next to the fox, and my suspicions were confirmed. Not exactly a nice fellow. To each his own I guess.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#34789 3 years, 2 months ago
Oops. Minus one karma for me for not liking david gans. Lol. Communistic system I tell ya. Give me liberty ot give me death! No not really, just liberty.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#34796 3 years, 2 months ago
I promise you it wasn't me neverstop - I don't care who anyone dosn't like - was just throwing it out there that I like him....
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#34818 3 years, 2 months ago
i've never owned it but listened in many cars

the one thing i dislike is they don't play shows all the way through all the time...i prefer listening to an entire show
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
gratefulade
Junior Boarder

#34852 3 years, 2 months ago
I absolutely love the GD channel on Sirius. One thing I like is it has made it possible for me to hear a lot of the Jerry solo and JGB stuff I hadn't heard before.

I also LOVE Tales From the Golden Raod! I think David Gans is just a giant smart-ass and I could see how maybe it can be taken wrong, I find him hilarious though.

My least favorite thing they do is the other, non-jamband covers of dead songs. That is one of the only times I turn it off. I pretty much hate every single one of them....
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

#34856 3 years, 2 months ago
I used to have Sirius and loved it. But when money got a little tight I got rid of it. The daily concerts were my favorite but I also enjoyed listening to Today in GD History with David Lemieux
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#34860 3 years, 2 months ago
gratefulade wrote:
I absolutely love the GD channel on Sirius. One thing I like is it has made it possible for me to hear a lot of the Jerry solo and JGB stuff I hadn't heard before.

I also LOVE Tales From the Golden Raod! I think David Gans is just a giant smart-ass and I could see how maybe it can be taken wrong, I find him hilarious though.

My least favorite thing they do is the other, non-jamband covers of dead songs. That is one of the only times I turn it off. I pretty much hate every single one of them....

I agree that a lot of the covers are pretty painful, but sometimes you get a real gem. I just caught Willie Nelson doing Stella Blue, and while it didn't have the majesty of a Dead version, it was very pretty and a fun find.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by SunshineSue.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#34887 3 years, 2 months ago
it's a great channel, my 3 month subscription to XM ends soon, but I will extend as long as I can talk them down a bit in price(which you can). If they charge $10 + a month I prefer to buy 12 new dicks picks every yr - but I will extend it no matter what to make it through the summer tour. The quality of the stuff is really good.

Tales from the golden road is interesting, but that's the one show I can't listen too for so long. I tend to catch some of that on Sun, then they repeat it Mon am (and another day too). hearing it once has some interesting parts but not enough to listen to twice.

I heard Bill Walton's XM talk show used to be really good...I think it was with one of the old roadies but I may be mistaken 'bout that.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds