• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Strummer101er
Junior Boarder

Re: Rainy days and Mean Hippies

#3565 3 years, 4 months ago
For example there's a thread going around on the Phil Zone right now talking about how lame some thread on this site is. Really?<<

Yes. Really. It's that lame.
Let fury have the hour. Anger can be power - the clash
floepiejane
Junior Boarder

#3570 3 years, 4 months ago
Aw Jesus, Duke. You are a rattlesnake.
Mattzz
Fresh Boarder

#3572 3 years, 4 months ago
get over it
deliadelion
Junior Boarder

#3575 3 years, 4 months ago
McCluhan was talking about the effect of one-way media, TV particularly, on people's attention spans and ability to discern real information from false, and whether activity can be generated via passive viewing.

I'm not sure if or how what he said applies to multi-party, real-time message board interactions. But I do think that the Internet is in general much closer to a 'facsimile' viewing experience than TV was when McCluhan was writing (because of the near-infinite design possibilities for content and because of the near-infinite variety of content designers). Another huge, essential difference between TV and the Internet is that there's very little on the Internet that isn't interactive on some level through the same medium (owners/operators of websites can be contacted, content can be lifted and used in a different way), whereas in order to respond to something on TV, or to sample it, it's necessary to use one or more other media. Still another is the ability to constantly upgrade, update, and redesign anything on the web, for which TV has no correllary (even reality shows on TV are scripted!).

So maybe the message of the Internet, which is accessed via digital devices in which all known media can be combined (that is,-if there is such one overriding message, and if that one can be reduced to a short phrase) is that the world we live in is a one-stop proposition. At least until somebody pulls the plug!
floepiejane
Junior Boarder

#3580 3 years, 4 months ago
sweet blog, delia. I still dont' totally get how something coming into your senses isn't as real as something else, but cool. I love how interactive the Zone is and this place ain't bad, but we are forced to write to each other, and that can't be bad. I can't believe how fast I can type now. And, like you, there are a lot of really good writers on these pages. Even Dickhead Duke.
floepiejane
Junior Boarder

#3581 3 years, 4 months ago
^^^worst post ever!
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

#3605 3 years, 4 months ago
Hey, this is such a lovely and intelligent discussion! Well done. There are GD online communities in which people are a lot kinder to each other than dead.net or philzone. People make a sincere effort to maintain non-insulting, intelligent discussions and practice giving and kindness, and over time they become very family-like. I think partly because it's on such a larger scale these bigger forums tend to run off the rails, and also because the anonymity of internet posting is less likely to make people think twice before making fools of themselves or being hurtful to others. I really hope that this new community can prove that Deadheads can still be respectful and kind to each other, and that we can act with wisdom and intelligence in our dealings with each other.

A good rule of thumb I learned at another forum: don't let yourself fall into exchanges of personal insults, and if someone is making trouble just ignore them, they almost always go away! Also subtly changing the subject is a useful tool.

deliadelion
Junior Boarder

#3727 3 years, 4 months ago
Which GD online communities? Are they recruiting??

Brooklyn Jimmy
Junior Boarder

#3729 3 years, 4 months ago
Who you callin a hippie?
Nancyinthesky
Junior Boarder

#3764 3 years, 4 months ago
Bob Weir said this about Bear, and well, I think it would work to define "Mean Hippie" for those who bemoan the fact that deadheads aren't all about pixie dust and glitter:

"always critical and questioning, but not negatively so much as playfully."
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds