• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

whiskey in the jar

#34319 3 years, 4 months ago
reminiscing of the night in fairfax they busted it out, phil sang it soooo awesome

whole show was fantastic, first 5 tunes had the whiskey references, nod to st patricks day and the 2nd set was monstrous packed with jams
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Chester
More or less in line

Re: whiskey in the jar

#34323 3 years, 4 months ago
That was one of my favorite spring tour shows. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#34353 3 years, 4 months ago
It's funny that in that box set of the GD that includes this song, Garcia claims to just "remembered" it when in fact he was playing it with, I think, Grisman and quite a lot too. I wonder if that's because he didn't want them to know about that, didn't care to elaborate with them about it, or what, but everytime I hear that at the end it gives me a puzzled feeling...
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#34355 3 years, 4 months ago
wlewis wrote:
reminiscing of the night in fairfax they busted it out, phil sang it soooo awesome

whole show was fantastic, first 5 tunes had the whiskey references, nod to st patricks day and the 2nd set was monstrous packed with jams

The Dead's 5/7/09 @ the Pepsi Center one was really good.
Chester
More or less in line

#34366 3 years, 4 months ago
lostsailor wrote:
It's funny that in that box set of the GD that includes this song, Garcia claims to just "remembered" it when in fact he was playing it with, I think, Grisman and quite a lot too. I wonder if that's because he didn't want them to know about that, didn't care to elaborate with them about it, or what, but everytime I hear that at the end it gives me a puzzled feeling...

Probably just the way Jerry's thought process worked. He may have played it a year before, but hadn't thought of it til that moment.
I don't really think he tried to keep his work with Grisman a secret from the other band members. But, I can't say for sure.
I have that box set. There's some amazing stuff on that.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#34372 3 years, 4 months ago
strangerinboulder wrote:
wlewis wrote:

The Dead's 5/7/09 @ the Pepsi Center one was really good.

Indeed. That was a solid show, other than the feedback in the beginning of the acoustic stretch.
All You Need
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#34460 3 years, 4 months ago
Chester wrote:
lostsailor wrote:

Probably just the way Jerry's thought process worked. He may have played it a year before, but hadn't thought of it til that moment.
I don't really think he tried to keep his work with Grisman a secret from the other band members. But, I can't say for sure.
I have that box set. There's some amazing stuff on that.

I'm talking less than a month. I forget what it was, but I thinkGrisman states a date and the date it was played was less than, like, 30 days.... so not a year. It was very close. I don't know, it just kind of stands out as a bold faced lie to me... "oh, I uhhhh jsut remember it... yeah, that's it... I... just... remember ... it". That kind of thing. I'm sure it's nothing, but it sticks in my head.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#100336 2 years, 10 months ago
finding my way back to this show.

i am fairly certain they'll never play this tune again, what a night!!

edit: how rude of me to not include a link

www.archive.org/details/furthur2011-03-1...ficial.113508.flac16
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by wlewis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#100344 2 years, 10 months ago
i was on couch tour for that show and it was a doozy for sure
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds