• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

What Book Should I read Next? What are you Reading

#33415 3 years, 4 months ago
Recently finished reading Pihkal (Shulgin), For Whom The Bells Tolls (spoiler alert: it tolls for thee), a couple Voneguts, The Last Go Round (Kesey), 3 views of Man (Freud, Skinner, Rogers) I'm in the middle of Vision of Cody but feel I need a little Kerouac break at the time, I'm a big fan of Thompson, God (I mean Huxley), Hemingway, Vonnegut, Palahniuk, Bios, and Travel/Adventure (Krakauer style) if that helps. And at the same time what are you reading at the moment?
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: What Book Should I read Next? What are you Reading

#33421 3 years, 4 months ago
I'm having fun lately exploring all the free pre-1923 downloads available. Just finished Dicken's Pickwick Papers (highly recommended) and am about to start HG Wells Time Machine. If you need some humor to recover from heavier reading, try PG Wodehouse (particularly the Jeeves books/stories). It may have been written almost 100 years ago, but it can still make me laugh out loud!
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#33424 3 years, 4 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
I'm having fun lately exploring all the free pre-1923 downloads available. Just finished Dicken's Pickwick Papers (highly recommended) and am about to start HG Wells Time Machine. If you need some humor to recover from heavier reading, try PG Wodehouse (particularly the Jeeves books/stories). It may have been written almost 100 years ago, but it can still make me laugh out loud!

I can hit the nearest library with a hardbound copy of Tolstoy's War and Peace from my balcony, so i haven't done too much online reading but would love to check it out. What sites do you recommend? I'm not super computer savvy so would need some pretty self explanatory sites. Much thanx
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#33425 3 years, 4 months ago
I kind of hate to admit it, but I got a Kindle last month for my birthday. So I've been downloading from Amazon- it's just SO easy! But I do keep finding myself pulling out my library card and apologizing to it...
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#33428 3 years, 4 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
I kind of hate to admit it, but I got a Kindle last month for my birthday. So I've been downloading from Amazon- it's just SO easy! But I do keep finding myself pulling out my library card and apologizing to it...

Haha, you know what? I got to check out a kindle a couple months back and it totally surpassed my expectations for it. Would love to get one but have some crazy fear I might stop readin paper if I do haha
ddsstyle
Visitor

#33439 3 years, 4 months ago
Desert Solitaire or the Monkey Wrench Gang by Ed Abbey.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#33442 3 years, 4 months ago
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#33444 3 years, 4 months ago
ddsstyle wrote:
Desert Solitaire or the Monkey Wrench Gang by Ed Abbey.

i've heard of The Monkey Wrench book somewhere back there but was not familiar with Abbey unitl now, just Wiki'd him an will definitely check it out, Thank you very much

WW: According to my calculations you turned 60 this year. How did this affect you?
Abbey: Haven't given it much thought. It's one of those things that happen when you keep hanging around. I expect my life to become an easy downhill slide from here on. My father is 86 and still working—alone—out in the Appalachian woods every day, cutting down trees and hauling them down to the sawmill. Barring accidents internal or external, I'll probably end up doing something like that. Longevity, like intelligence or good looks, is largely a matter of heredity: choose your parents with care. Also, it helps to have a mean, rancorous, rotten disposition; us mean and ugly types are hard to kill.

WW: Have you ever come close to death? Tell us about it.
Abbey: In my youth I did fool things on rock, on snow, on mountainsides and deep down in slickrock canyons, but never suffered more than the usual thrill of utter terror. Rode motorcycles for a few years. Got on a few horses I didn't understand. And again never lost anything but some skin. About five years ago some medical doctors gave me six months to live, saying I had pancreatic cancer. But they were wrong, their machines had deceived them: the dark blob on the X-ray screens and CAT-scans turned out to be some kind of portal vein thrombosis, which means that I may die at any moment of a massive internal hemorrhage. But in the meantime I feel fine and carry on as usual, having no particularly appealing alternative, and am ready for whatever happens so long as it's quick, violent and economical. And if it's not, I'll do my best to make it so. Like everyone, I've lived close to death all of my life.

Edward Abbey died on March 14, 1989,[17] at the age of 62, in his home in Tucson, Arizona. His death was due to complications from surgery; he suffered four days of esophageal hemorrhaging, due to esophageal varices, a recurrent problem with one group of veins.[18] Showing his sense of humor, he left a message for anyone who asked about his final words: "No comment." Abbey also left instructions on what to do with his remains: Abbey wanted his body transported in the bed of a pickup truck, and wished to be buried as soon as possible. He did not want to be embalmed or placed in a coffin. Instead, he preferred to be placed inside of an old sleeping bag, and requested that his friends disregard all state laws concerning burial. "I want my body to help fertilize the growth of a cactus or cliff rose or sagebrush or tree." said the message. For his funeral, Abbey stated "No formal speeches desired, though the deceased will not interfere if someone feels the urge. But keep it all simple and brief." He requested gunfire and bagpipe music, a cheerful and raucous wake, "[a]nd a flood of beer and booze! Lots of singing, dancing, talking, hollering, laughing, and lovemaking."
nastero
Junior Boarder

#33462 3 years, 4 months ago
Just finished tearing through the first 4 books of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series (on which Game of Thrones is based). Been reading "From Here to Eternity" intermittently as well. Before that I read "The Thin Red Line".

Of the books that I've read in the last few years, Kesey's "Sometimes A Great Notion" is one of the best and most unique that I've encountered. It is a HARD read, at least it was for me, because the narrative jumps P.O.V. quickly (and sometimes within the same sentence or paragraph) and the chapters are long which make it difficult to find a reasonable stopping point at times.

That said, his prose is amazing and the story quite compelling.
Jack Jones
Junior Boarder

#33601 3 years, 4 months ago
Life Before Life: A Scientific Investigation of Children's Memories of Previous Lives,
Morris's Teddy Rossevelt trilogy
... that one word is "why?"

Music alone may span that space between the finite and the infinite. Edgar Cayce Reading 3659-1
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds