• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Furthur should make some synthetic tie dyes ....

#33001 3 years, 1 month ago
for the summer tour! ---- 100% polyester, for long days out in the hot sun, festivals n stuff...... thats the only kind of shirt I where for work all year round (at least the first layer) and they are so much better then cotton in so many ways for work and when you gotta beat the heat. They breathe and they don't stay wet from sweating to name a couple.....

just a thought
slipnut
Fresh Boarder

Re: Furthur should make some synthetic tie dyes ....

#33026 3 years, 1 month ago
eww, petroleum based poly? Are you David Lindley?
Attachments:
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#33029 3 years, 1 month ago
so petroleum is the only way you can color polyester?

I'm pretty sure a cotton shirt soaked in sweat that can't breathe is likely to get more "ewws"
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#33045 3 years, 1 month ago
polyester is made of petrolium .cotton breaths petro does not however there are synthetics that do maybe your thinking polyproplene that wicks moisture away i have lots of polypro gear ,easy mistake to make
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#33065 3 years, 1 month ago
polyester and cotton are both bad from an environmental standpoint one because of the petro, the other because of the petro chem farming used to produce it and the subsequent soil erosion associated with mono crop agriculture.
Clothing should be made from Hemp
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#33077 3 years, 1 month ago
"polyester is made of petrolium .cotton breaths petro does not however there are synthetics that do maybe your thinking polyproplene that wicks moisture away i have lots of polypro gear ,easy mistake to make"

I'm looking at the tags on my work shirts now they say "100% poliester" ....... I didn't realize the effect on the environment but these shirts definitly breathe like no other - It feels like your not even wearing a shirt when the wind blows ..... so I'm not sure what you mean by poly dosn't breathe. I'm sure cotton breathes somewhat but nothing like these shirts and cotton holds moisture and gets all nasty. ----I'm not trying to argue I just don't understand what you mean.

I agree tons of stuff should be made with hemp but could a shirt that serves the purpose of the ones I use to work even be made with hemp?

---it makes me feel a little better about the environment (after you mentioned that) seeing that I've been using the same beat up shirts for many years now....
skyties
Junior Boarder

#33085 3 years, 1 month ago
Only natural fiber can retain dye. Polyester can't absorb dye. In a 50/50 shirt only 50% of your dye will hold. Polyester can be dyed but.......it ain't easy, and can't be tie dyed multi-colored.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#33087 3 years, 1 month ago
well I gotta stick with my tie dyes so looks like I'm staying with cotton this summer.... I was actually wondering if the material would absorb dye after I made the thread....
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#33117 3 years, 1 month ago
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#33118 3 years, 1 month ago
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds