• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

Any 80's Deadheads returning to Red Rocks?

#32820 3 years, 1 month ago
I am very happy about just scoring tickets to all three nights at Red Rocks. This will be my second run of shows there. My first was the Sept. 1985 Grateful Dead run. Here's a story about how everything working out the way it is supposed to. I was doing part of the tour with three friends. We didn't have Red Rocks tix and of course it was way sold out. We hit Oklahoma City and then Kansas City. We stopped at a rest stop somewhere in Kansas on the way to Colorado in the middle of the night. There were several hundred Heads camped out all over this place, sleeping in tents and out in the open right on the grass in the rest area. For whatever reason the cops didn't hassle us. In the morning, someone told us that they had heard that additional Red Rocks tix would go on sale at 10am at local ticket outlets in the Denver area. We hauled ass there, went to an outlet and only a few other people were in line at 10 when they opened. Sure enough, we were able to buy tix to all three nights. We were very grateful because there were hundreds of people shut out all three nights at those shows. If we hadn't camped at that place, right next to those people, we probably would have been shut out as well. The shows were great, I think that was the first time the "Hey Jude" reprise was performed out of Dear Mr. Fantasy. Here it is 26 years later, I am now middle aged instead of young like the first time there, and Jerry and Brent are no longer with us. But, I'm heading back to that magical mountain venue to see Furthur carry on this awesome musical tradition. Is anyone else returning there for the first time in a long time?
Without love day to day insanity's king
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Any 80's Deadheads returning to Red Rocks?

#32857 3 years, 1 month ago
Hell yes. Went to the Zoo show in OKC. Blazing hot. Missed KC. Then saw the only day shows @ RR. Once again, blazing hot...the weather + the shows. Just got ducats for each of the RR shows in Sep/ Oct. I was at the Furthur shows last September. I am hoping we will be blessed with mid 80's like last year.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by strangerinboulder.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#32874 3 years, 1 month ago
strangerinboulder wrote:
Hell yes. Went to the Zoo show in OKC. Blazing hot. Missed KC. Then saw the only day shows @ RR. Once again, blazing hot...the weather + the shows. Just got ducats for each of the RR shows in Sep/ Oct. I was at the Furthur shows last September. I am hoping we will be blessed with mid 80's like last year.

That Zoo show was so small!! I remember you could walk right up to the stage with no problem. You're right, it was hot. We went to the actual zoo in the afternoon before the show on mushrooms. Bad idea. Artic snow cats lying on the pavement with their tongues hanging out. During the show, we struck up a conversation with two local Okies. They tried to impress us with the fact that they had drove "darn near 50 miles" to get to the show, and they were amazed that we were from Maryland and California. They asked us if we had "any reefer for some good old boys you could sell us?" My buddy had some good Berkeley doses so we turned them on. One of them got off like a rocket. "This stuff sure gets on top of ya, don't it?" He had a great time dancing and whooping it us with us the whole show. His buddy passed out and slept through the whole thing. Go figure.
Without love day to day insanity's king
terrapin_blue
Junior Boarder

#32885 3 years, 1 month ago
Wasn't alive yet sadly, but I caught the September run last year, which was smokin'!

Just got my tickets for these nights, hope to see ya there!
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#32926 3 years, 1 month ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
I am very happy about just scoring tickets to all three nights at Red Rocks. This will be my second run of shows there. My first was the Sept. 1985 Grateful Dead run. Here's a story about how everything working out the way it is supposed to. I was doing part of the tour with three friends. We didn't have Red Rocks tix and of course it was way sold out. We hit Oklahoma City and then Kansas City. We stopped at a rest stop somewhere in Kansas on the way to Colorado in the middle of the night. There were several hundred Heads camped out all over this place, sleeping in tents and out in the open right on the grass in the rest area. For whatever reason the cops didn't hassle us. In the morning, someone told us that they had heard that additional Red Rocks tix would go on sale at 10am at local ticket outlets in the Denver area. We hauled ass there, went to an outlet and only a few other people were in line at 10 when they opened. Sure enough, we were able to buy tix to all three nights. We were very grateful because there were hundreds of people shut out all three nights at those shows. If we hadn't camped at that place, right next to those people, we probably would have been shut out as well. The shows were great, I think that was the first time the "Hey Jude" reprise was performed out of Dear Mr. Fantasy. Here it is 26 years later, I am now middle aged instead of young like the first time there, and Jerry and Brent are no longer with us. But, I'm heading back to that magical mountain venue to see Furthur carry on this awesome musical tradition. Is anyone else returning there for the first time in a long time?
i was at those shows right up front all 3 days
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds