Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

Re: Screw The habs!!!!!

#324716 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Ossumpei wrote:
What's a hab?

Short for 'Les Habitants'

Habitants were French settlers and the inhabitants of French origin who farmed the land along the two shores of the St. Lawrence Gulf and River in what is the present-day Province of Quebec in Canada.

I never knew why they were nicknamed Les Habitants, but that name stuck.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: dr bakes, Ossumpei, SunshineSue, Strider1
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#324717 4 months, 2 weeks ago
I have a co-worker who every time his fav sport teams looses talks about how "depressed" he gets or rather blames his depression on the inability of his team to win. While I luv watching sports, I think that getting this elated or upset based on what professional athlete or team can or cannot accomplish seems a bit much. Most of the time when teams I like lose, my reaction is that this is the same old same old (with this team), then I move on with my life. Being a NY Jets football fan has taught me not to take the outcome seriously.
I do somewhat understand the passion involved in rooting for a team, but when that passion leads to "unhealthy" results one may want (if he or she so chooses) to question how they are "dealing" with their emotions.
A quick comparison to music appreciation may prove instructive here. When a band I like plays an exceptional show, I do get a sense of joy having been there for it. If a band I like fails to deliver, I tend to let that band slide, knowing that they are capable of playing better. I don't feel betrayed by the band and start an internet thread asking that the band be put to pasture. If it's unfamiliar music that doesn't spark an interest, I just don't see them again.
We all react emotionally to what we enjoy, be that sports, music or even finger painting. How we deal with those emotions can matter. I understand being happy when a fav team wins, but rioting and burning cars to celebrate seems a bit of an overreaction. Same with breaking furniture as a reaction to a loss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#324719 4 months, 2 weeks ago
jaredlang wrote:
Ossumpei wrote:
What's a hab?

Short for 'Les Habitants'

Habitants were French settlers and the inhabitants of French origin who farmed the land along the two shores of the St. Lawrence Gulf and River in what is the present-day Province of Quebec in Canada.

I never knew why they were nicknamed Les Habitants, but that name stuck.

Oh yeah, screw them.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#324724 4 months, 2 weeks ago
J/k j/k, my moms side of the family is from there, marcoux.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#324743 4 months, 2 weeks ago
It is not quite that simple Dave. I mean I agree with you that dealing with your emotions is a good thing, I need help with that all the time. (I admit it!) Some people wear their emotions on their sleeves, I dont think that makes them assholes. If you are a season ticket holder for a team then you have a lot invested in them. Naturally it is really easy to get too wrapped up in their success and failures. I understand that the casual sport fan would not get that. Just like casual music fans do not understand why someone would drop thousands of dollars to follow a band around the country.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

#324747 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Being a lifelong Cubs fan I have learned to lose with a little bit of grace, I guess. I still feel the pain a bit but try and have a "don't give shit" attitude when my teams lose. I'm totally full of shit here. I'm not even sure who's writing this. Of course I give a shit. That's why I'm careful not to do stupid stuff to jinx my teams. Thats why I try every trick in the book to help my team and influence the outcome of a game, from the couch. I know that may be nuts but alot you know what I mean. Oh and, Screw the Habs!!!
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#324749 4 months, 2 weeks ago
gvanman wrote:
Being a lifelong Cubs fan I have learned to lose with a little bit of grace, I guess. I still feel the pain a bit but try and have a "don't give shit" attitude when my teams lose. I'm totally full of shit here. I'm not even sure who's writing this. Of course I give a shit. That's why I'm careful not to do stupid stuff to jinx my teams. Thats why I try every trick in the book to help my team and influence the outcome of a game, from the couch. I know that may be nuts but alot you know what I mean. Oh and, Screw the Habs!!!

SCREW THE HAWKS (If it's the Habs Vs. The Hawks in the finals).

I wonder what Captain Tony would say about all this.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: gvanman, Strider1
66slim
Platinum Boarder

#324750 4 months, 2 weeks ago
SCREW THE HAWKS (If it's the Habs Vs. The Hawks in the finals).

I wonder what Captain Tony would say about all this.

"Screw the garbage disposal!!!"
And leave it on!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

#324751 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Damn, did I just jinx myself?
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds