• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: Phil's Spring Tour--Stats, Reviews and Opinions

#322553 5 months ago
Thank you for the cliff note version of the tour Sugaree. I listened to a bit of each show myself and found the second part of the Cap to be the best IMHO. I saw larry and Theresa at MSG with Furthur. They are ok, but not my cup of tea. They are like a novelty because of Levon and the bump does not last that long for my taste. I thought Boyd did well at times, but definately out of his element. I always applaud Phil for having a newbie pop their cherry with the music. Boyd appeared to enjoy himself much.

I do have a special place for Benevento/Rusoo together so i am a tad biased. Their ability to jam together is uncanny.

The BAM shows brought some good mojo, but wouldnt rank them high on the list.

I think Sco should be limited to a few songs and not a whole show let alone a run. Medeski does well at the keys.

I think Phil should invite Krasno to jam for a show. He is great.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#322567 5 months ago
I flipped my couch cushions twice, does that count???

-- smell every flower --
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#322569 5 months ago
Though I appreciate stats, reviews & opinions, I did have some concerns about throwing my two cents in. Mostly cause people may misinterpret what I'm saying. Also cause if I like one keyboard player more than another, doesn't mean that I don't like the other.
Now in your second post Sugaree1 you wrote "I guess i'm not one of the cool kids here huh.' With a line like that, as perhaps the least cool kid on this here block, it was time for humble old me to jump into this pool.
The nice part of this forum is that I feel no need to impress or even get along with anyone out here. I have been very fortunate to meet some FFF'ers. I am more comfortable thinking about people as individuals and not as members of a "group." Having said that I found 99.9% of forum members that I met to be intelligent kind inclusive and understanding folks. Why they would even hang some with an uncool character like myself. Go figure.
On to opinions about the shows. I saw 9 of the 10 east coast shows but none of the Vegas ones. I like that Phil is bringing different musicians into the mix. His goal seems to be to allow different musicians to bring there own voice to a body of material (GD and other stuff). Because I wasn't there I'll skip over any opinions about band number 4 (aka F4), with one caveat. Last July Phil played a few shows with Joe Russo, John Kadlecik, John Medeski and John Scofield. IMHO that group was as good as any P & F group that I have seen and better than most.
Of the three bands that I saw IMHO my fav was Fr3. (Warren, JG, Medeski & Russo). I think the world of all three keyboard players that played. One of the true joys of seeing Further was hearing Jeff Chimenti. He brings so much to the table. Same with the shows at the Cap. Marco Benevento also has major talent. With him in the mix, P & F sounds more like JGB. A rich jazz feel bringing a wonderful tone. Having him play with Bill Evens (& JK) was such a treat.
Then along comes John Medeski. In a NY Times article, John Pereles expressed an (my) opinion about Medeski so much better than I ever could, so allow me to copy & paste from his review. "Mr. Medeski was the band's most consistent wild card. He used organ percussively, jabbing chords and clusters and answering guitar lines with snappy little asides. He pushed harder on hints of idioms, taking the Caribbean lilt of "Uncle John's Band" as license to play splashy, two-fisted salsa piano and moving "I Know You Rider" toward gospel. With Friends full cooperation, he helped carry "the Wheel from its usual country-ish territory, toward a kind of extraterrestrial pastorale with glimmers of Terry Riley's Minimalism and Miles Davis's "In A Silent Way." There were still new combinations to be found."
I also enjoyed hearing Warren play with Phil again. Warren brings Warren's voice to both his singing and his guitar. Of all the guitar players I saw last week, when Warren gets going, along with Phil Med & Joe, this stuff becomes magic and makes seeing this music more that worth the time spent. These guys came out like a house on fire. Stephen > Let it Grow > Scarlet >Mountains of the Moon. IMHO both shows were all there. A few (of the many) highlights - Caution - Sunshine of Your Luv - Midnight Rider - Passenger uh I could go on but it would just be more of the same. I can't hardly wait for the late May shows when Scofield replaces Jackie. Nothing against Jackie but along with Trey and Warren, Sco has an ability to make Phil & friends shine extra bright.
Second fav group would be Fr2. So many highlights. Like Pride of Cucamonga > King Solomon's Marbles > Pride Reprise. The stuff with Bill Evens and Marco Benevento driving the jams. Musicians listening to each other then responding. Making this music sound both new and alive. Like uh if Fr3 didn't have so much raw talent, Fr2 would be my March favs.
Which brings me to Fr1. Larry Campbell is such a talented multi-instrumentalist. When he starts playing mandolin or a fiddle or pedal steel good things happen. Teresa singing Keep Your Lamps Trimmed and Burning or Till the Morning Comes. In addition to Till Morning that whole first set the first night shines. Seriously if F3 and F2 weren't so there, F1 would be my fav.
Okay I'm starting to sound like a raving it's all cool life is wonderful in Terrapin blah blah kind of head. I could be a bit more critical snarky analytical condescending even. Yea okay like the fiddle player dropped the bow a few times. Joe even dropped the drum stick (more accurately it flew out of his hands) once. There was a Tennessee Jed encore one night. If I'm gonna grumble it would be about that. Music is such a positive thing. To watch musicians play together creating joy is fun healthy and did I mention fun? Sure it could always be better but seriously it is so good. The hard part is that Phil's touring days are (for the most part) over. IMHO everyone in FFF should move to either NY or San Rafael. Then we could all go to London and Japan together. Now wouldn't that be fun?
The following user(s) said Thank You: splatter_face
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#322598 4 months, 4 weeks ago
Who are Phil's friends for Lockn?
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#322619 4 months, 4 weeks ago
My favorite Phil line up by far was Broomfield (Phil, Warren, Jackie, Scofield, Russo, Chimenti), even though I am not a humongous Jackie Greene fan. I also really enjoyed what was it 2007 - with Phil, Jackie, Larry, Molo, Molitz. Anyway, I feel jaded by the Phil organization with Shapiro keeping him away from Colorado so it is hard for me to really give a poop about his band anymore.

In the end I have learned that as long as someone is playing Dead music then everything is good with the world. There is no line up whether it is PL&F, Ratdog, Furthur, The Dead, MHB etc etc that I think is unlistenable or even simply not very good. But if we are talking about preference, I feel like my Dead fix is best met if ol Bob is in the lineup.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#322624 4 months, 4 weeks ago
I saw some streams and went to the TXR show 3/6.

Some of the lineups do not do it for me and others do. I really liked the 3/6 linep with JK, JG and Jason Crosby on keys, solid. Add JC and it can never go wrong.

I agree with DM, as long as the music is being played all is right in the world.

Hey DM - I am in Denver next week for a conference.......any good music I should catch???
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#322644 4 months, 4 weeks ago
Griff wrote:

Some of the lineups do not do it for me and others do. I really liked the 3/6 linep with JK, JG and Jason Crosby on keys, solid. Add JC and it can never go wrong.

I agree with DM, as long as the music is being played all is right in the world.

Hey DM - I am in Denver next week for a conference.......any good music I should catch???

Oh cool! What days are you in town? Dude, The Rock Collection (Melvin Seals, Stu Allen, Robin Sylvester, Reed Mathis, Greg Anton, Lebowitz) is playing Friday and Saturday at Quixotes. I totally forgot about those shows ...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: splatter_face, Griff
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#322678 4 months, 4 weeks ago
IMO, and I know that no one really cares, Phil should quit with the rotating line ups. There is way too much inconsistency and the friends willing to play with him for a few shows seems to be degrading over time. The last few runs have not been very good IMO. I am not a big jackie fan, especially when he thinks he can play lead guitar and take most of the solos. I understand why he does the rotating line ups - new energy, have fun giging with new people, pay them less than a steady band - but it isn't working IMO. He should put together a good bunch of friends and stick with it for a while. Good improve doesn't really happen with people who are unfamiliar with each other and the music.
Cub
Senior Boarder

#322681 4 months, 4 weeks ago
It's ALL GOOD
My favorite Phil n Friends line-up hasn't played together since Jerry passed. However I would enjoy any show I was fortunate to attend (with a sober driver back home). I can find some great and unique energy at any random show and I hope to attend a complete run next time with my soul-mate and and dance away each song in the wings of the stage with her.

I was unable to stream in the hospital but now I'm back home with my broadband and plan to view any Furthur shows.

3 Cheers for Live Music streamed n seen in real time. A great advancement in technology for 2014.
Cub
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#322783 4 months, 4 weeks ago
Denver Man wrote:
Griff wrote:

Oh cool! What days are you in town? Dude, The Rock Collection (Melvin Seals, Stu Allen, Robin Sylvester, Reed Mathis, Greg Anton, Lebowitz) is playing Friday and Saturday at Quixotes. I totally forgot about those shows ...

Thank you brother that sounds great. My bro from Portland (Scott Law) played with Melvin for a few years.
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds