• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

Phil's Spring Tour--Stats, Reviews and Opinions

#322467 5 months ago
I really enjoyed this last run. Maybe it's because I was really looking forward to it, or because I've felt like I've hardly seen/heard much music this year, or because it was that good, but I feel that after tour glow/hangover for sure! So here are some stats and thought I have on this run. Warning: there could possibly be some criticism so prepare yourself!

Well, Phil played 13 shows in 19 nights. Played at 3 different venues and including Phil there were 15 "friends"! If you drove from the Capitol theatre to BAM then to BBLV, you would have driven about 2,565 miles!

So, as far as songs, of course there can be variance. I consider Terrapin one song, I counted different verses of Viola and Dark Star in the same show as one whole song, didn't count Jam, etc. So this is just for fun.

Over these shows, about 121 unique songs were played. Of these 121 songs, about 54 were repeated. There were 11 songs that were played 4 times each. There were 16 songs played 3 times each. There were 27 songs that were played twice.

There were 19 "Bustouts" by my count. Songs played either for their first time, or very rarely/not expected. Very Subjective here. These songs were: Wading in the Water, Turn Turn Turn, Wheels on Fire, Look at Miss Ohio, Hurt, Aint no more Cane, Endless Highway, Little Sparrow, Just another Whistle Stop, Midnight Highway, River Deep Mountain High, When the Stars go Blue, Prayer for Spanish Harlem, Hit the Road Jack, I Don't need no Dr, Tumbling Dice, Sweet Jane & Don't Keep me Wanderin

There were 4 distinct lineups for this run. With a couple of guests as well. Aside from Phil, only Joe Russo was in every band.

My favorite shows: 1) 4/11 2) 4/9 3) 4/5
Least Fav: Las Vegas

My Favorite Run/Lineup: Easily 2nd Cap run with Phil, JK, JG, Marco, Russo, and Bill EVans. Not a big surprise for me, as I always figured that this lineup, switching Marco with Jeff C, would be my "dream" current lineup. I think that JK is the ideal frontman for these groups. Keeps the GD foundation while allowing all other players to shine. I think his chemistry with Jackie is way beyond what Jackie has with the other lineups, Warren, Sco & Stu and I think Jackie needs someone keeping it all grounded in the GD style. Also, look at the setlists, pretty much all good ole GD! So, if you are a fan of bustouts and rare covers, this band did not do that. Also, I love Marco, and was more impressed with him during this run than I had ever been previously.

Honorable Mention: The first Cap lineup with Phil, JK, Larry, Teresa, Jeff C, and Russo, special guest Boyd Tinsley. One caveat, I did not hear the first 2 shows live. I forgot about the run, and listened to these on Sunday with no distractions. This is a great lineup and I love what Larry and Teresa bring to the band. That country/gospel flare, great singing and great covers! If you like the bustout/covers this was your band; 13 of said 19 bustouts/rare covers were played by this band! I really enjoyed these shows and will re-listen soon I am sure.

Time for the Bad:

BAM shows. Good playing and singing but nothing great for me. Certainly some excellent moments but overall I kept getting the feeling like I've been here before. Same Warren covers as always, ABB, Van Morrison and Beatles plus Low Spark (Albeit a pretty damn good one!). I just wasn't feeling it. I love Warren, but I feel as though my days needing to hear him play this music are done. I'll always enjoy it, but never like I did with the Q when it seemed so fresh. Now, I had a lot of fun, but it seemed well below my expectations set from the first 8 shows.

Brooklyn Bowl Vegas:

Ok let me preface this by saying that I had fun watching and listening to these shows. Sorry to be vulgar, but I will compare these shows to a BJ or pizza, even the worst ones are usually good I love Jon Scofield, much respect and A Go-GO is a seminal album in my musical life. But this was a bad choice. I didn't think Jon and Jackie would be a good pairing, and I think the addition of Stu Allen was proof of that. As I mentioned earlier, I think Jackie plays and sings best when someone keeps him in that GD pocket which JK does great, Warren ok and Scofield not much at all. There were some really fun solos of course, but the groove suffered greatly I thought. Also vocally, Im sorry but to me, Stu and Ross MF James are not ready for primetime. They sounded like any number of GD cover bands I have seen with Bar band vocals and playing. Again, a million times better than I could do, and maybe I'm just spoiled, but it didn't work for me. I liked the Band covers, but the execution was lacking. Also, these were the only shows I watched and didn't just listen. That usually adds a lot of enjoyment for me, but I didn't really even enjoy watching them, very little visible chemistry on stage.

So that's it, I really had a great time these 3 weeks, it was a great run and I had a ton of fun. Looking forward to next couch tour run. Also can't wait for Phish in August and Lockn in Sept. Not sure what else is on the docket for me before then. oh yeah,

Favorite Moment: (Tie) on 4/11, right after Sugar Magnolia, I began to write a response in the setlist thread saying that I felty a Stella and Lovelight coming. Then I looked at the setlist and thought that made no sense in the flow of the show so I erased it. Of course, both Stella and Lovelight and no witnesses to my amazing powers!!

4/10 During Cassidy I commented that the 1st set was well played but not a setlist I would write. Of course they follow that with Cold Rain and Snow and a rip roaring Sugaree to end the set. It was like an individual STFU from the band to me!!! LOL
If that jubilee don't come, maybe I'll meet you, on the run
Last Edit: 5 months ago by Sugaree1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Equinox, Cub, 23atwell, 66slim, Emvibe67
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

Re: Phil's Spring Tour--Stats, Reviews and Opinions

#322518 5 months ago
Wow, one reply and not one thanks or interesting read? I guess im not one of the cool kids here huh?
Emvibe67
Senior Boarder

#322527 5 months ago
Sugaree1 wrote:

Brooklyn Bowl Vegas:

Ok let me preface this by saying that I had fun watching and listening to these shows. Sorry to be vulgar, but I will compare these shows to a BJ or pizza, even the worst ones are usually good

Nice review! Did you take the time to figure out all those song statistics? I didn't listen to one Phil stream this run of shows he just did so I dont have any opinions on the shows. But very nice!!!

And I enjoy reading the criticism. Everyone should speak their mind and not be afraid to say the bad. Not every performance or musician is perfect!
Fly on these wings of love!
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#322536 5 months ago
When does RatDog start up again?
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

#322539 5 months ago
Emvibe67 wrote:
Sugaree1 wrote:

Brooklyn Bowl Vegas:

Ok let me preface this by saying that I had fun watching and listening to these shows. Sorry to be vulgar, but I will compare these shows to a BJ or pizza, even the worst ones are usually good

Nice review! Did you take the time to figure out all those song statistics? I didn't listen to one Phil stream this run of shows he just did so I dont have any opinions on the shows. But very nice!!!

And I enjoy reading the criticism. Everyone should speak their mind and not be afraid to say the bad. Not every performance or musician is perfect!

Thx, yes I did do the stats, didnt take long. Ive had a lot of free time last couple of weeks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#322540 5 months ago
I'm sorry you felt Stu Allen is not ready for primetime and is not better than a bar band player, thats certainly not my experience but I'm glad you enjoyed the shows and I look forward to Phil at Lockn.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

#322541 5 months ago
Denver Man wrote:

Bahahaha. While I enjoyed this last Ratdog tour more than any before, I'm still firmly in the "phil camp"!
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

#322542 5 months ago
dr bakes wrote:
I'm sorry you felt Stu Allen is not ready for primetime and is not better than a bar band player, thats certainly not my experience but I'm glad you enjoyed the shows and I look forward to Phil at Lockn.

I hear ya, but i really meant the vocals. I should have clarified. I thought the 3 guitars together were too jumbled. Solos were nice, but seemed to be missing the groove in the pocket. Lockn!!!
Last Edit: 5 months ago by Sugaree1.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#322543 5 months ago
Sugaree1 wrote:
Denver Man wrote:

Bahahaha. While I enjoyed this last Ratdog tour more than any before, I'm still firmly in the "phil camp"!

I really liked Ratdog earlier this year but am much more excited by Phil in general!
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#322547 5 months ago
if ratdog(now i LOVE wassy and ratdog the way it is but just for fantizy)
RATDOG, phil on bass, and bill and mickey on drums.
this would be THE DEAD.
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds