• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

I admit it,I miss Furthur

#321996 4 months ago
Howdy- I am gonna be 56 soon! I rode my bike to the record store in nearby city in 1973,bought Europe 72 and never stopped loving the Grateful Dead! After Garcia's death, I left grateful dead related performance except local bands. Furthur changed that! Maybe it's what I am comfortable with,they are good.I know after 4 years,it was time to break! Now it's sounding maybe permanent.I will miss Furthur.Please reconsider and plan some 2015 shows for us old fans
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: I admit it,I miss Furthur

#322202 4 months ago
Yes please, I heartily second this emotion!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nitramdraddil
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#322208 4 months ago
I hear you Big Ralph and I cherish every Furthur show I saw. With that said, if you haven't had the chance, please do go see this new RatDog lineup. I know we all get a little something different out of the music but for me personally, these recent RatDog shows were the closest thing to what the GD we're trying to create. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei, Strider1, Nitramdraddil
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#322212 4 months ago
If they do come back it will be very exciting, but for now Ratdog is the freshest take on GD music.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei, Strider1, Cosmic Arkie, patchmyfurthur, Nitramdraddil
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#322233 4 months ago
What ever works for u works for u if u know what I mean.
Late May Phil is playing with Warren and John Scofield on Guitar, Medeski on keys & Russo on percussion. This sounds good to me. IMHO there is nothing to be gained by comparing Ratdog to P&F. While both groups have components of GD in them, neither r GD. Each group has both strengths and weaknesses. They both play tunes & jams we enjoy. Catch what u want to (and what u can) and enjoy. No real need to worry about future conglomerations. The future will take care of itself.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#322234 4 months ago
I predict Furthur will return in Regional Residency format as opposed to touring. Furthur: Build it and we will come!
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#322406 4 months ago
I was much more excited by ratdog's show than by Furthur. I'm sure it had to do with me expectations. With both Bob and Phil I compared them to GOGD. Unfair as it was.

With Ratdog all I was looking for was a great show and little else.

Less baggage from the past.

That and furthers lack of touring, especially the Midwest, these last couple of years has caused some severe aparhy about them. Why worry about a band you can't see once in a while.

I'm sure if I lived in a residency zone I would feel differently. Also sure they have good reason to do residences and I don't hold it against them. But by doing so it has caused me not to care as much if they play again or not. Not very exciting to hear about shows you can't go see.

Still happy for the folks who can go see them, but as far as my missing them, what's to miss?
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#322407 4 months ago
I too echo the sentiment. It is really the only post GD band that I have any interest in traveling to see. That means my traveling days might be through if they are done. I however don't think they are done. A hiatus is a hiatus. I don't know about the residency thing. I feel some of the tension and reason for the hiatus might have been between Bobby's desire to tour and Phil wanting to try doing just residencies. I am not sure how good this is working out for Phil or if the momentum can be maintained through just residencies. Time will tell. Nothing lasts.
Nitramdraddil
Fresh Boarder

#322804 3 months, 3 weeks ago
I am in a much more disadvantaged position than you re live appearances. As I live in the UK. I have resigned myself to enjoying whatever I can catch of either band on the Net. Particularly love the crystal clear TRI broadcasts. I've been thinking of getting our local music pub to play one of the gigs up on a big screen like they do international football matches. Not sure enough Brits know or care about GD and it's spin-offs though to persuade the landlord that it would be financially viable. Good to see Phil will be visiting the UK in July 2014 with The Terrapin Family Band though. london.brooklynbowl.com/event/541379/
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#322813 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Glad to hear Phil's coming to see you.

We love to complain when we don't get to see shows but are quick to forget about folks who only get the chance
Very rarely. Hope you have an excellent time and can catch a few shows.

There's quite often links to hear streaming shows, and a discussion thread during the show. Pretty popular on the forum and a nice chance to connect with other listeners.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds