• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

(Set) Jeff Pehrson Comment Debate/ Garcia WWJD?

#320854 5 months, 1 week ago
So Jeff Pehrson made this comment of his Facebook page concerning a Dead cover bands.

It got over 1,000 comments and ended up with a picture of Bob agreeing with him.

We l have a lot of fun with the various cover bands, so I disagree.

What do you think?

Jeff Pehrson
Thursday at 5:51pm
With all due respect and love, a quick message to all the folks who continually send me links to check out their Dead cover bands:

In my humble opinion, Jerry would want you to create your own music, not cover his. I've seen all the popular (and many unpopular) GD cover bands, and NOBODY comes close to creating the magic of The Grateful Dead. The music world is desperate for originality..for true creativity. Let the original members of GD carry the torch they helped create. Find your own voice, create your own music, and do it in your own style. That's where the real magic lies..
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Re: (Set) Jeff Pehrson Comment Debate/ Garcia WWJD?

#320855 5 months, 1 week ago
Jerry probably say that I guess, hard for me to say.

But I'm against not having cover bands, especially considering there's no GOGD anymore, Phil and his residencies, and Bob can only do so much. What are we supposed to do for GD fun when we can't see the GD or original members?
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
pink11
Platinum Boarder

#320860 5 months, 1 week ago
Jeff P. Is on tales from golden road now on Sirius.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#320862 5 months, 1 week ago
If you're playing in a Dead cover band it's because it makes you feel good and you're enjoying it. Chances are, you're also adding your own flavor to it and making it your own. I think there is only one rule of thumb when playing....do what makes you feel good...play what gets you off, simple as that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrippingColors
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#320878 5 months, 1 week ago
So is he saying that DSO doesn't come close and yet Bobby chooses to play with them twice and hired their guy?
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#320882 5 months, 1 week ago
He kinda backtracked his comments a little on Tales and said that when GD cover bands send him samples of their music, he would prefer to hear original material, or dead tunes played in an original way.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: dr bakes
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#320899 5 months, 1 week ago
I don't think jeff meant to sound salty about anything
or to put anyone down.

he probably just wants people to stop sending him links and cd's, etc.
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#320901 5 months, 1 week ago
I think Jeff makes a good point. I'm old enough to remember the late 60s music scene that the Dead came out of. The big question with any new artist was "Does he/she/they have something to say?" Everything was about self-expression and original vision, no matter how far out. I've got nothing against cover bands but some of them have some very talented musicians and I'll bet at least a few of those people could do some pretty wild stuff on their own. We need a lot more of that in our culture now. Things are too cookie cutter and bland.

Like Funkadelic said, "Think! It ain't illegal yet!"
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by Equinox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, kevin
stricken
Gold Boarder

#320910 5 months, 1 week ago
Im not sure why everyone sends him their dead covers. And i find it somewhat offensive that he is putting words in jerry's mouth. If jerry felt that way why did he cover so many songs of other artists?
Also i believe one pays their dues by playing in a cover band and cutting their teeth on others material until you find your own voice. So unless everyone is at the same point in their musical journey one cant say whats best for another.
I will agree on his point that its most enjoyable when you create something of your own and others enjoy it as well but you have to play something familiar first to get the crowds attention.
So if he is tired of all the dead cover bands material then all he would need to say is stop sending them.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#320932 5 months, 1 week ago
Sounds salty and a stupid comment. I love covers and I wish I could play in a cover.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds